Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Ferret Kingdom, Good or Bad?

Cavy Carnage

Cavy Slave
Well I need a new cage for my two female rats, we just went and bought most of the supplies to make a cabinet type cage but before we started to put it together we saw an ad for a ferret kingdom cage that someone is selling pretty cheap. Heres a link;

(broken link removed)

I guess I want to know if it would be suitable, if you have either had one before or by looking at the info about them. My main concern is the spacing between the bars. It seems like a decent size to me and will be a lot better than the current cage they are in. Cleaning isn't so much an issue for me, it would be nice if it were easy to clean but I don't mind if its hard so long as the rats like it. I just don't want to buy something so cheaply made it will only last a month or so.

Rattie Mom

Cavy Slave
It's definitely plenty of room for your girls. Lots of ramps and such for climbing.

I would be concerned about spacing. Depending on their size, they can either squeeze out, or possibly get their heads caught. I have 1/2 x 1/2 inch spacing on my big cage, and can't put females under 6 months old in it. I had a 4 mouth old girl get her head caught! Thankfully, I was right there when she did it and was able to calm her down and get her out. But talk about heart attack. :eek:hmy:

Something else you might consider with this cage, but can be easily solved, are the "drop offs" from the upper levels. Look at it and ask yourself how far a rattie could fall, if they slipped or fell asleep on one of the upper levels.
I have a Martin's cage with similar "half" levels. I hang hammocks off the sides so if anyone slipped, they'd just fall into the hammock.

I wouldn't say the cage is not doable...but you might consider the spacing issue. If your girls are full grown and not small...you might be ok.

For two females, you might try looking at the Martin's cages. An r695 is a perfect cage (for up to 4-5 rats), durable and maybe cheaper (be sure to go with the powder coating) than the Ferret one. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.