Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

An example of how adopting one saves more

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just thought I'd throw in a current email from one of my main foster ladies:

Have the adopters been in touch with you about adopting those two abby girls I brought over last weekend? If they will definitely be coming to adopt them this weekend, I can spring one of the boars from the SC shelter. I'll put the little broken leg guy in with him, and they can be a pair.

Sharon adopted out one of the babies, so she's going to take one of the young males from the SC shelter, and possibly a female as well. Hopefully then the rest of them will have a chance of making it to the adoption floor. I'm going to pull them for her either tomorrow or Saturday.
The potential adopters Leah referred to are, in fact, coming this weekend (after getting ready with a C&C cage and supplies) to adopt two.

Had they gone to a pet store instead, it's quite possible the shelter pigs would be put down (we are all full), and the two they would have adopted would still be sitting in the foster home. And then the store would order AT LEAST two more pigs from the distributor who in turn would buy AT LEAST two more pigs from the breeder.

Little decisions. Big consequences.

Last edited:

joab97

Cavy Slave
That's wonderful!!! There are no shelters in my area that have piggies...I've been looking though. The closest one is over and hour away.

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
thats how far I drove for my piggies.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I think that story is great. There are no shelters near me that have pigs but that didn't mean that I couldn't adopt from a shelter because one of my piggies came from a shelter that is about 3 hours away from me. One of the ladies on GL got her out of the shelter for me and I picked Charity up from her.

sasha

Cavy Slave
i am looking for a shelter/rescue pig right now! if you know anyone in md, please email/aim me. thanks

Loveheart

Cavy Slave
Well if you really wanted to get a guinea pig you would drive 3hours for it, I persuaded my husband to drive 2hours for my two and it was well worth it I think

sasha

Cavy Slave
I have found a few neutered males at rescues a few hours away, and there are some females listed too. But other than the few neutered males I saw, most of the rescues have already paired the pigs. I would feel bad bringing in two stangers at once to my own pig because she might end up the odd one out; if I did they would have to be very specially chosen, and I would still worry. But I would also feel bad splitting up a pair that a rescue or shelter had already paired.

Also, I think my pig may be a bit too much of a diva to get along with some females, and the few single females I have seen are close in age, and I have always heard that the best way was to get a younger pig, and that would reduce the dominance/ territorial fighting.

I am perfectly willing to drive a long ways, but I don't think I'd be doing a rescue a favor if I took a pig that wouldn't match well with mine. I would still never go to a pet store though, and I don't think its right to imply that I just don't want a pig badly enough because I asked if anyone had heard anything. I do want a second one very much, but rescue groups get what they are given, and so it may be necessary to wait or find another group that has what you are looking for.

How would you feel if you found out later that you discouraged someone from asking around, and that maybe they could have taken a pig from a rescue they hadn't heard of, or one that doesn't list on petfinder, and ended up saving many pigs by taking one (like earlier in this thread)? I was asking because I am willing to put in the time and effort to find the right pig to pair with mine- and asking people can be a good way to find smaller rescue organizations- which often have the fewest resources and least ability to post things on the internet and advertise, but often have the greatest need for homes.

carrotflavour

Cavy Slave
Thats very inspiring and so good to hear, thank you :)

90katrina90

Cavy Slave
I am interested in adopting a guinea pig from my Wood Green Animal Shelter. At the moment I can't, but maybe in a few years. I'd like to help. In the area I live, there doesn't seem to be many homeless piggies. I live in England.

Treen

Cavy Slave
There are actually a heck of a lot of homeless guinea pigs over here, especially if you're willing to travel a couple of hours rather than just checking your immediate area. Don't forget the RSPCA as well as the Blue Cross, and all the private rescues there are (broken link removed). I really don't think anyone over here looking to rescue would have a problem, and there are organisations/ individuals that will help transport pets from rescues to their new homes too.

Twinkle_Toes

Cavy Slave
I checked at our local shelters for over a month, stopping by even and left my contact numbers each time but they never had any. I drove over an hour away to a shelter and they had an adorable red/white abby female but we couldn't adopt her because we weren't residents of that county. No amount of begging would persuade them. I hope she got adopted, she was so sweet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.