Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Guinea Pig Babies Being Euthanized

misspigglie

Cavy Slave
Hello, I Have Recently Found Out That Breeders Of Show Cavies Euthanize Non-show Quality Babies. They Say This Is The "humane" Way To Deal With Unwanted/unusable Babies. I Am Making Arrangements To Take In Unwanted Babies In My Area. Please Check For Breeders Of Show Cavies In Your Area, And Offer To Find Homes For The Unusable / Disposable Babies.

Some Of The Methods They Use Are:

Using Dry Ice & A Cooler
Exhaust From A Car
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning In A Bucket With A Tube.

There Are Websites That Show How To Make Your Own "gas-chamber"

Please Adopt Or Help These Babies If You Can. Thank You For Your Time.

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
omg, what the heck is wrong these people here. I could they resist the cute little faces. that is so sick. I will tell my husband about this. We are concidering becoming a rescue. But now that I hear this so sad. :(

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Sorry. I know it's hard, but I don't want to make things easy for breeders by taking in their culls. They're supposed to be responsible.

If they don't kill them, then they sell them to pet stores or give them away similarly. There are enough shelter guinea pigs and people looking to re home to rescue, accidental pet store pregnancies, etc.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
I Am Making Arrangements To Take In Unwanted Babies In My Area.

That is NOT the solution. For a whole lot of reasons.

misspigglie

Cavy Slave
OK, why is my idea not the solution. I think these sweet little babies should be able to have a happy life. What do you suggest?

CavySpirit said:
I Am Making Arrangements To Take In Unwanted Babies In My Area.

That is NOT the solution. For a whole lot of reasons.

sofiemuffins

Cavy Slave
hmmm...isn't that against the law? If Pet stores have gotten in trouble for so called euthanizing animals by placing them in the freezer...than would the same laws apply to breeders?

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
sofiemuffins said:
hmmm...isn't that against the law? If Pet stores have gotten in trouble for so called euthanizing animals by placing them in the freezer...than would the same laws apply to breeders?
It might be illegal not sure. Although I highly doubt that the breeders go around and broadcast how they euthenize the unwanted babies, to people that could possibly get them in trouble for it.

Misspigglie- How did you find out about those diff. ways breeders euthenize? That is so sad, people are so mean.

misspigglie

Cavy Slave
I Found A Yahoo Group For Breeders And There Was A Topic Up For Discussion About Euthanizing Un-showable Babies. Several Breeders Replied About What Methods They Use, And There Was Even One That Said They Use The Exhaust From Their Old Truck. To Be A Registered Breeder, They Had To Prove That They Had A "humane" Way To Dispose Of Sick Or Injured Animals. I Was Searching For Some Purebreds For 4-h Projects, But Now Am Making Sure What The Breeders Do With Their Non-showable Babies Before I Consider Buying From Them.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
And there's a breeder here who takes unwanted guinea pigs to the local raptor breeder's place. (food for prey birds)

It's so obvious to me why becoming the easy dumping ground for unethical mill breeders is wrong that I can't even figure out a way to start to explain it. Perhaps some others can give it a go.

(And you can pretty much forget about the law as a solution unless you've got evidence of highly gross negligence and abuse.)

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
To Be A Registered Breeder, They Had To Prove That They Had A "humane" Way To Dispose Of Sick Or Injured Animals.

That's totally untrue. Show me ANYWHERE in the ACBA membership guidelines anything that says you have to be or do anything at all to be registered member (ie, breeder) other than pay your dues. You don't have to show or prove a darn thing about your care or practices to be a registered breeder.

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
I think they should make all of this illegal. That is so unhumane. If I was a govenor I would take this to the President and to counil meetings. Bann all illegal killings that are not dieing, not ill or other ways. Also I wouldnt alow breeding 24/7 either. I would stop breeding until it starts getting low on breeds. Maybe like once a year per household. Like one pig a year per household. They would have to regester for it and have inspections once a month to make sure nothing is illegal. I would have surprized inspections where they wouldnt know when they would come to their homes or breeding areas.

Access

Cavy Slave
Using Dry Ice & A Cooler
Exhaust From A Car
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning In A Bucket With A Tube.

There Are Websites That Show How To Make Your Own "gas-chamber"

Please Adopt Or Help These Babies If You Can. Thank You For Your Time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthanized
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_euthanasia

Those methods depicted on the website are not euthanasia, they are torture. It is not a painless death, far from it. Selective breeding is not a natural thing, it is man-made so the offspring is their responsibility. They are profiting from the 'pure' pigs they create so they should also see to the needs of the pigs they perceive as 'less pure' or 'undesireable'. Seeing to someone's needs means not killing them because their hair doesn't have a whirl in the right place or changes color 'where it should'. They are also environmentally unsound-- they are polluting the air w/o a purpose.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
You are helping the breeders, taking the responsibility off their hands and making life easy for them. Don't take the breeders' culls. The ones in shelters are killed too. Save them.

misspigglie said:
OK, why is my idea not the solution. I think these sweet little babies should be able to have a happy life. What do you suggest?

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
I just hate that. Its like what you hear about the grey hounds when they cant race anymore they kill em or give em up. If my pigs couldnt be in the show then they would be our pet anyways. It would be like my child couldnt play ball, what you do give up you child because of that no. its the same way but in a inhumane way for them animals. I hope I dont have one near us at all. When I went to the feed store the guy who owns it knows 4 top breeders and showers. I asked him are they overbreeders or killing them cause they cant be in shows. He said no. They would take the ones who cant be in shows and keep them as pets or for addoptions. They all are his real good friends. I asked him to let us know if they have a real long hair one and I wouldnt mind addopiting one or two. At least those ones are good people. Also I found out that they dont breed everyday or week. They would just take the young females and let them have one litter only. But still there are way too many that needs home but at least they are not over breeding them. They do it 2 times a year.

tuggles

Cavy Slave
AngelsCavies said:
We are concidering becoming a rescue. :(
You look like you are already a rescue!!!! I have 3, and I can barely give them all one on one time. :O

tuggles

Cavy Slave
also, if the pet store owner is " real good friends " w/ the breeders, and he OWNS a pet store, I dont htink he would tell you if his "friends" were killing your furry little friends... ;)

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
no he dont have a pet store. 2 of them are family. He has a feed store.

misspigglie

Cavy Slave
OK, IT SAYS TO GET A USDA BREEDER/BROKER LICENSE THEY HAD TO HAVE APPROVED METHOD. (SORRY) HERE IS THE PAGE I FOUND IT ON:

(broken link removed)

ALSO THE YAHOO GROUP I READ WAS @

https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Cavies_Show_and_Breeding/message/414

I STARTED READING AT # 414. THIS IS A TOUGH ONE FOR ME. I WOULD NEVER DO THAT TO A BABY. IF I HAD AN OLDER ONE THAT WAS IN GREAT PAIN, I WOULD TAKE IT TO A VET. misspigglie

CavySpirit said:
To Be A Registered Breeder, They Had To Prove That They Had A "humane" Way To Dispose Of Sick Or Injured Animals.

That's totally untrue. Show me ANYWHERE in the ACBA membership guidelines anything that says you have to be or do anything at all to be registered member (ie, breeder) other than pay your dues. You don't have to show or prove a darn thing about your care or practices to be a registered breeder.

Setsuna

Cavy Slave
THESE PEOPLE ARE SICK. WTF!!!???

Nobody has a F-ing heart anymore i just dont understand it!!!!

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
misspigglie, please unstick your caps lock key. Thanks.

I have a page on this site (it's listed on the right-hand column of the cavy cages home page) called USDA Regulations. On that page, you'll find a link to the current public information of everyone who is registered with the USDA. You can rest quite assured that virtually NO hobby or show breeder of cavies (or anyone who visits the yahoo groups and forums) is actually registered with the USDA. If there is anyone, they would represent about 1% if that. You can read more about the USDA on my page and the links from it. https://guineapigcages.com/USDA.htm

Since you posted that Euth link, here's another link the cavy breeders use: https://www.alysion.org/euthanasia/index.html

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.