Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Travelling with Piggies

T

tggdan3b

Travelling with Piggies

I'm graduating college this semester and getting ready to move.

I'm looking at a drive of 2 1/2 - 3 hours, if traffic is good.

I have 9 pigs- 5 female, 4 male, that need to come with me.

The pigs will have to travel in a normal car, because I don't want to stick them in the back of a U-Haul, and the driver of the bigger car is allergic to the pig hair.

I have 2 small aquariums and 1 larger one that I used to use back when I only had 2 pigs (and they were both babies). I think the small aquariums could hold 1 pig and the large one could hold 2 for the drive, but how should I transport the other 5 pigs? Making multiple trips would really be a pain!

Plus, I'm worried that they might jump out of the aquariums during the drive. I bought some pet store cages a while ago, but they're too big for the back of the car! What can I do to transport all those pigs!?!

T

tinahagar

Re: Travelling with Piggies

why don'y you buy animal transporter cages. fill them with food and put a small water bottle feeder on the side of them. i have a piggie transporter and they love it! i put material in for them too to cuddle in.
tina x
[email protected]

J

janiexo

off topic but i was wondering anyway...

how did you survive college with guinea pigs? where did you keep them? The reason i ask is because i will be going to college in the fall, and one of the factors in the decesion to stay at home was that it would be hard to keep piggies in a college dorm.
I hope that isn't an intrusive question.
But anyway, my vet is 45 minutes away and what i will usually do is take a big cardboard box, something that they would use to ship stuff in, and make sure its taped up on the bottom. i'll fill it with aspen and towels to keep them comfy, and usually give them a toy they like or their cuddle cup liner, something familiar. to keep them hydrated i give them veggies. Good luck!

Attachments

SANY0117.jpg 1358986990300.jpg IMG_20130123_135809.jpg
T

tggdan3b

How I Kept Pigs at College

I have 2 answers for this:

1) I just got the pigs about 6 months ago, and I've been living in an apartment for the past 3 years, so the college dorm thing really never entered into it.

2) I do know someone who had a pig at college. They only had one. They kept it in a pretty small cage, probably 3 square feet, but that was only when no one was home, they gave it free roam around the dorm when someone could watch it. (The nicknamed it their "Fish" since most college dorms don't allow any pets besides fish).

If you're going away for college, I'd recommend living off campus if you want to bring your piggies with you. If you are going to bring them to a dorm, I wouldn't if you have more than 1 or 2. The dorms are cramped and there's 4 people, and I don't trust other people to take care of my piggies (other than my exgirlfriend, who loves them more than life).

If you want to be with your piggies, I'd stay home or live off campus- it's best for them.

J

janiexo

after much thought

yea, after a lot of thought i did decide to stay at home for school, because taking both piggies would be hard, i doubt they would get along well in a small cage.

F

fcarr

Cat carriers

Cat carriers would work out fine...and always useful for a future vet trip. The hard plastic kind, with grid door. Should be OK for several hours. Put a towel inside, dish of food and water. It'll be soiled when you reach your destination, but a safe way to transport the guineas. Make sure they have adequate ventilation... Good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.