Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Need suggestions about Guinea pigs with dry flakey skin

nikoandqueenie

Cavy Slave
I have a new guinea pig and his hair is very corse. He has very dry skin. Not sure if this will go away. The vet checked his skin and set it was just dry, but it's not getting any better. Any suggestions on what I can do?

kathrynj

Cavy Slave
Is he itchy at all? I would go ahead and treat for mites, 90% of skin issues are mite related.

When you say dry, is it flakey, dandruffy, scabby, etc?

nikoandqueenie

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the reply. He isn't itchy or scabby just flakey, dandruffy. What would you suggest for treatment?

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
Sounds like mites. One of the symptoms is scurving which looks like dandruff.

Is your vet cavvy savvy?

You can treat mites from home. Either revolution (for cats or dogs it doesnt matter) or Ivermectin are used. Revolution can be purchased over the counter at the vets, Ivermectin from feed stores.

Even if your pig does not have mites it certainly wont hurt to treat him.

Also, where did you get him from? Petstores are notorious for sick pigs, most petstore pigs are riddled with mites, URI etc. Saying that, often mites lay dormant and come up in stressful situations, so the move to your house could have been stressful thus the mites!

Some helpful links for you:
Mites - Guinea Lynx :: Mange Mites
Revolution/selamectin - Guinea Lynx :: Antiparasitics
Ivermectin (go to the links on the right for more info on the different forms - topical, oral, via injection etc) - Guinea Lynx :: Ivermectin
Finding a vet - Guinea Lynx :: Finding a Veterinarian
GLs vet list - Guinea Lynx :: GL's Vet List
Also, check out the care guide - Guinea Lynx :: Guinea Pig Care Guide

PigWooBus

Cavy Slave
Piglet has just been to his first check-up--he got a clean bill of health--and my vet is one of the best in the area for guinea pigs. I can tell she really likes what she does and I trust her (she also has guinea pigs of her own). That being said, he does get a bit of dandruff once in a while. I tend to only really notice it when I am brushing him--like the dead skin is just being brushed out. I have heard of some people rubbing coconut oil on their guinea pigs. I know a lot of people with skinnies do it. I think I saw a post on here a few days ago about that... does anyone know what I am referring to? I will see if I can find it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.