PDA

View Full Version : Hello All!

Thoreau
03-10-08, 09:29 am
Hi!

My name is Thoreau. I am the mommy to my Guinea Pig, Remy. I love animals, and ahve a wide range of them.

Remy's age is unknown, I got him from petco three months ago. No, I did not buy him, I was there for the rabbit adoption day, and there was Remy, in a tiny wire bottomed cage, with a "free" sign on him.

My mom and I couldn't resist. We bought a 42" by 12" cage, bedding, hay, and a water bottle, and brought Remy home.

It's been hard. I've been researching, and I don't have room for a large C&C cage, and mom refuses to let me get him a buddy. Well, the only way he's allowed a friend if he lives outside 24/7 365 days a year, and I'll have none of that. Pets belong in the house, no ifs ands or buts about it.

Remy is very anti-social, he won't come to me for fresh foods, hay, or anything. He stays in his igloo when I'm in my bedroom (where is cage lives) and refuses to come out.

Anyone have any suggestions on Remy? Mom's threatening to get rid of him, or boot him out to the rabbit hutch sitting in the shed :(

wiggley_narco
03-10-08, 10:16 am
Honestly, Remy is probably antisocial simply because his cage isn't large enough and he doesn't have a buddy. You would not believe the difference it makes in a piggy when they have those two essential things. Their personalities just pop right out! That being said, perhaps you could print off some info from this site and others to help your mom understand the importance of Remy having a friend and more space.

Do you know what kind of past Remy comes from? He may have been abused and/or neglected, making him afraid of people. It will take a lot of time for him to come around, if that is the case. A friend would help with this also, and would teach him that it is ok to come out for veggies and hay.

If you haven't already, you need to get the little guy to a vet for a checkup. If you don't you'll never know if his refusal to eat is something much more serious than a people-complex.

Good luck, and post pictures!

Thoreau
03-10-08, 10:34 am
Correction on his cage size: It is really 24" by 42", not twelve

Yes, he has been to the vet, and I have shown my mother information on how guinea pigs are social, but she refuses, and believe me, I've tried :( So I think it's really out of the question- she's the type of person that will just take him to the animal shelter one day when I'm at school. (She did that with my puppy :()

willowfaery
03-10-08, 11:32 am
That's awful! Do you have room for at least a 2x3 c&c cage? Even if it's on top of or under a desk or something....just make sure he isn't completely in the dark. If you could get him a bigger cage and work with him every day on socialization, maybe she will be impressed by the little guy. Try taking him out once or twice a day (maybe in the morning and night), put him on a cuddly fleece blanket on your lap, and hand feed him veggies. He'll get used to you. You just have to be persistent. Show your mom how hard you're working to take care of him and maybe she'll see the light. Good luck!

TX_2_Pigs
03-10-08, 12:59 pm
Do you have room for at least a 2x3 c&c cage?
If the cage is indeed 24x42 it is only 4 inches shy of being a 2x3, which is 28x42.

she's the type of person that will just take him to the animal shelter one day when I'm at school. (She did that with my puppy :()
That is sad that she is like that. I know someone like that.

Thoreau, like Henry David Thoreau? My last name is Theroux and Paul Theroux, the author of Mosquito Coast, is somehow related to my late husband's father. I think somewhere down the line they were all the same family and one brother changed the spelling. I know someone who is married to a guy name Thorp, but his brother goes by Thorpe. Names and name spellings fascinate me. I have a very common first name but with a very unusual spelling.

fourboys4now
03-10-08, 01:47 pm
I agree with the earlier mention of hand feeding the veggies to your new piggy. Usually even a shy pig has a hard time turning down great veggies when you're hand feeding them. There is some great links on this site about nutrition and what veggies and fruits they can eat. Maybe you can try different ones to see what your piggy likes to get him started. I would highly recommend bell peppers, parsley, cilantro, red and green leaf lettuces, these are my piggies favorites. Just keep giving your pig attention and hopefully he'll come out of his shell.

Percy's Mom
03-11-08, 05:33 am
she's the type of person that will just take him to the animal shelter one day when I'm at school. (She did that with my puppy :()Sounds like your mother just likes shopping. Does she realize that animals are living breathing creatures and not just accessories to look cute when you carry them around or playing with them?

Wheek Weak
03-12-08, 09:59 am
Yes, he has been to the vet, and I have shown my mother information on how guinea pigs are social, but she refuses, and believe me, I've tried :( So I think it's really out of the question- she's the type of person that will just take him to the animal shelter one day when I'm at school. (She did that with my puppy :()This is nothing against you (I can tell that you want to take good care of him) but, it sounds like you need to find him a good home ASAP (someone willing to check this website for proper care information), before your mother does something rash to endanger the poor little guy.

I don't understand why your mom is threatening to "get rid of him". Is it because he should have a buddy?...a bigger cage?...he won't come out of hiding? You stated that you have a variety of other animals. Does she comply with the proper care of them? Why did she take your puppy to the animal shelter?

I'm just very confused as to why she would take him from the petstore, and then not want to take care of him.

Susan9608
03-12-08, 02:25 pm
This is nothing against you (I can tell that you want to take good care of him) but, it sounds like you need to find him a good home ASAP (someone willing to check this website for proper care information), before your mother does something rash to endanger the poor little guy.

I second this - animals are not toys or collectors items.