Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Other Animals with Pigs.

T

tggdan3b

Other Animals with Pigs.

I'm going to be moving into a house with my 9 pigs this summer. my roommate is considering getting a ferret. Now, I'm not going to suggest that we cage them together or anything like that, but what's the chance that the ferret's going to get into their cages and mess with them? Will they be able to get along together, or should they be completely seperated at all times?

While I'm on the subject, are there ANY animals that can be caged with guinea pigs? I've read in a book that dwarf rabbits can be caged with guinea pigs, but i've seen disagreements about that. Do guinea pigs get along with any other pet?

-Dan III

2steps

Re: Other Animals with Pigs.

I'd love a ferret but all I've read and been told suggests they wouldn't get along at all. After all a ferrets instinct would be to go after the guinea pigs.
Guess it would be simular to having a cat and pigs and some people do. But you need to be sure the pigs cage is secure and that they aren't left alone.

P

pregasaurus

Rabbits have been succesfully caged with cavies. The only thing is you have to be sure that they each get the appropirate nutrition. I had a bunny and 2 guinea pigs when I was little and they loved each other.
Also, I have heard that small birds (budgies, etc..) get along well with gp's.

Attachments

DSC06469.jpg

2steps

Rabbit and cavies often get along but if housed together it can be easy for the rabbit to accidentally injure the cavy. Also it would be very difficult, if not impossible to insure they were recieving the correct nutrition.
Don't know about birds, I'm sure they could be friends but I think that cavies would be preyed on by birds in the wild so would properly be afraid of anything flying over them, that's why they run if you come from above to pick them up.
I think another guinea pig is the best companion.

Attachments

IMG_9829-1.jpg IMG_9828-1.jpg
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.