Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Head tilt puzzle, need help!

wheeky-UK

Cavy Slave
Hey guys, been a while since iv been on but lifes been busy reciently. I hope everyone is doing great :)

I have a little bit of a problem at the moment. I have a new little piggy, who had developed a cyst on her side which was successfully drained and healed up nicely. However soon after she recovered she developed quite a serious head tilt. Obviously I took her straight to the vet who looked in her ears to see if there was any infection. She couldnt see anything but put her on a weeks course of Baytril. Her treatment is now over but the head tilt is still there.

The vet doesnt really know much else so iv been doing some reading for myself and am wondering if she may have some kind of ear mite or mites in general. She HATES being picked up, iv never known such a wriggler, she almost twists herself in half trying to get away, but she never makes a noise while doing this. Also she shakes her head like a dog as though trying to get rid of something.

Anyway thats the background, my question is, could it still be in ear infection? I have more Bayril, should I continue a little longer on that?
Also is it worth treating her with ivomectin, as a preventative at least?

Iv read that ivomectin spot-on will treat all kinds of mites, does this include ear mites? Do ear mites require the spot-on to be put inside the ear, or should I just put in on the back of the neck as usual?

Sorry for all the questions, just I really want to make her better. Shes about 4 months old, and 513g. Eating/drinking fine, quite active. maybe a hint of a runny nose.

Any help would be really appreciated, thanks!

steve_and_pigs

Cavy Slave
Do you know if the cyst was really a cyst, or was it an abscess? The bacterial infection that causes an abscess can spread. It is common to culture the puss when removing/draining an abscess in order to identify the bacteria.

I've heard that an ear infection can lead to permanent head tilt even though the infection is cured. I've also heard of a pig that had head tilt due to a neurological problem. In these cases, the pig is healthy otherwise, but just had special needs.

You may need to find another vet that can determine with some confidence if an infection is still present. A culture test can usually determine a bacterial presence, and which antibiotics would be best to use if an infectious bacteria is found. If there is indeed a runny nose, then the pig likely still has something.

I don't know anything about ear mites. There is some info here:

Guinea Lynx :: Ear Mites

I haven't read anything associating head tilt with mange or ear mites. Her general irritability does suggest mites.

How is the Baytril affecting her? Has she lost any weight? Are you supplementing any probotics? Baytril is a big gun to be giving to such a small young pig. This thread is interesting:

Guinea Lynx :: Topic - Baytril (enrofloxacin) Primer

Did the vet choose Baytril for any specific reason? I would guess that an exotic vet would more typically prescribe something like TMS or doxycycline for your case. Of course, I'm not a vet and I don't have all the info.

cavyinhawaii

Cavy Slave
Ear mites will make her ears look really dirty and waxy. Some pigs like my flash have dirty,waxy ears with no mites.So its not a deffinate sign but if she normally has clean ears and now they are dirty it could be a clue. Have you tried wrapping her in a towel to take a look?
Ivermectin won't hurt her. I just did a round on my pigs.My crazy pigs actually like the kind I use but its oral(Duramectin).
You could do a search on GuineaLynx.com and see what you can find there. There are Ivermectin charts, symptoms etc. Loads of information.

mommyoffive

Cavy Slave
It does sounds like she otitis media (ear infection) The baytril may or may not have done the trick, but the only issue when an animal does have an ear infection the head tilt could become perminant like it did with a couple of my babies. They were also on Baytril for a week, but they healed up just fine. It just all depends on how fast you caught the infection. They no longer have an ear infection but the head tilt remained like in these pics (Note, they got head tilt when they were around 2 months old, they are both now a year and a half in these pics!)

Image of Lil Leo - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Image of Rosie - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Ok so as for the runny nose, is she having colored or clear discharge, a runny nose could be a sign of a URI

steve_and_pigs

Cavy Slave
They no longer have an ear infection but the head tilt remained

Just curious. How did the vet determine that the ear infection had healed? I've not had a pig with an ear infection. Do they just look in the pigs ear like they do with people?

mommyoffive

Cavy Slave
Just curious. How did the vet determine that the ear infection had healed? I've not had a pig with an ear infection. Do they just look in the pigs ear like they do with people?

Honestly you cant really determine it at all. But for what we know the URI's in them cleared up and you could deffinetly see a change in their attitude and general apperance, and they have been healthy ever since.

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
If the URI/ear infection/cause of head tilt isnt treated quick enough the head tilt will become permanent.

mommyoffive

Cavy Slave
If the URI/ear infection/cause of head tilt isnt treated quick enough the head tilt will become permanent.

Yes, and sadley thats why my kids have the tilt. My old mananger refussed to have them treated until I threatened to call coorperate, so finally she took them to Banfield. I was very joyfull the day she got fired.

wheeky-UK

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all your responses guys.

Im not entirely sure if it was an abscess or a cyst, but that has healed up completly now.

She doesnt really have a runny nose, her nose isnt wet but when she breathes in it sounds a tiny bit loose inside.

Should I carry on with the Bayril? I have more in the bottle.

Also with the ivermectin should I just put it on the back of the neck or should I put it in/near the ears?

steve_and_pigs

Cavy Slave
Guinealynx states using topical ivermectin for ear mites, but it does not state how specifically to apply it. :sad: Maybe somebody else knows the answer. I would guess in/on the skin of the ears.

Actual ear mites should be visible. Perhaps use a magnifying glass to try and see them. If there are no ear mites, but you suspect regular mites (which are not visible), then follow this:

Guinea Lynx -- Topical Ivermectin Treatment

Make sure you have the dose worked out correctly.

You'll need three treatments (weekly), and you'll need to disinfect th environment so she does not get them again. If she has any cagemates, they will need treatment also.

I would be suspect of a popping/nose sound. Your vet may be able to recommend extending the baytril to 10 days, or change the antibiotic. Probotics are usually recommended when using baytril to keep the piggies digestive system going.

You could also try another vet that specializes in piggies. They should know how to properly treat mites, and perhaps could better diagnose the head tilt.

wheeky-UK

Cavy Slave
Hey guys, here is a quick update on my little girl Ginger.

She is nearing the end of her Baytril course alongside the course of Metacam to help with inflamation. The result of this is that she isnt shaking her head anymore! So something must be working...yay.

She is eating, drinking, moving perfectly well, although she still has the head tilt and im pretty sure she will keep it now. But she seems to be making the adjustments to live with the tilt.

The only thing im still a bit puzzled with is her nose. She doesnt have any discharge and never has really, but does sneeze more than is normal. So I had a closer look at her nose and I noticed she has in each nostril what looks like a wet/mucus membrane covering the hole (sorry this is quite difficult to explain). This means that everytime she breaths in or out this "flap" will move with the airtake. Its this movment that is making the wet/sniffy sound. But there is no discharge. Any ideas what this could be? The vet has listened to her chest many times now and has never heard any wheezing/clicking there.

Could she have an allergy to something? She is currently on newspaper and fleece so not on any bedding etc.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.