Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I'm new and wanted to say hi

little piggie

Cavy Slave
Hi there all i'm new to all this and have alot of questions about cage size and the best things to feed my little piggie friend. I want to make my piggie a cage but would like to know what's the best size fr my little guy.. I would like to add another piggie to my family and would like to know the best way of doing so..
:)

PigWooBus

Cavy Slave
Hi! I'm somewhat new to the board but have had my guinea pigs for about a year and a half. For the cage size, you might as well build one for two pigs since you are thinking about adding a second one. It would be great for him to have a buddy! 2 grids by 4 grids is the recommended minimum for 2 pigs (that is what I have mine in). There are lots of great pictures on this site for ideas. For food, the best chart I have seen so far is https://www.guineapigcages.com/food/Veggie-and-Fruit-Charts.pdf. Very helpful for knowing what to feed and how often. For hay and pellets, go with Oxbow or KM. I feed mine Oxbow, you can order from the site (broken link removed) and use the store finder to find stores near you that sell oxbow. Where did you get your first pig? If you haven't tried adopting yet, you can use Petfinder.com: Adopt a pet and help an animal shelter rescue a puppy or kitten. to find a rescue near you to adopt from! Some rescues will let you bring your pig with you to introduce them before you adopt a friend, so you know they will get along (but not all do this). As far as introductions go, this website was very helpful to me when I introduced all of mine: https://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm. Just some good sites to get you started! Hope they help!

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
For two pigs you will want to have a 2x4 grid C&C cage or 28in x 56in cage!

I would also recommend looking on Petfinder.com for a rescue near you! Otherwise ask around on here an people can help you find a piggie to rescue! Please do not buy from a petstore! I made that mistake and ended up with 2 pregnant piggies! One of which had two still born babies. I have also heard about petstore piggies having parasites, URI, and other horrible things! Rescue is the way to go!!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.