Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Experienced litter trainers needed

twozie

Cavy Slave
lolHi ,

this is not meant to insult anyone but I was hoping that I could get some help from anyone who has successfully litter trained their guinea pigs. I thought I was doing just fine but I noticed that they are not and still go anywhere any wonderful tips suggestions would be great I have tried just putting their waste in the litter pan not so sure its working, 2 of them are 3 months old and one is only about 5 weeks...of course she is picking up from the others. I was thinking about puttin a itter tray in every corner as everytime I move the ones they have now I noticed they seem to be going in the opposite place...I thought they were easy to litter train. Ha Ha could have fooled me:crazy:
Thanks

Rattie Mom

Cavy Slave
I've taken advice from others as well as do what I did with our bunnies and rats. The rats were by far the easiest to train. My bunnies were already trained, but I did take the advice I got about putting the hay bin over/next to the litter box. They like to do two things at once. ;)

The piggies seem a lot like the bunnies, in that they go and eat at the same time. Our two hay bins are right next to the litter boxes. My girls are about 80% trained. I do notice that one will still go on occasion, in her nest box. But for the most part, they are great. I do still pick up the stray poos and toss them in their litter box too.

We started off with fleece on the bottom of their living area, and wood pellets in their box. It really worked for our other animals. If you have a cage lined with litter, it's important not to use the same litter in the boxes.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
You can't really litter train pigs, they will either use a litter box/pan or they won't. The best you can do is provide them with one and hope for the best. They will never completely poo in one place so please don't expect them to exclusively use a pan for all their bathroom needs.

bamby71994

Cavy Slave
Make a hay rack from the top the cage and the litter pan below.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.