Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Food Bowls?

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
My pig tips his food out of his bowl and I am finally starting to lose my mind with it! I need to find a new food bowl that is heavier! What bowls are out there that are weighted? Or... What can I do to try and prevent this from happening? I am not willing to switch bedding.

Thanks in advance!

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
I find the best bowls are the double sided cat dishes. They are usually available at the dollar store, they work really well. You can put pellets in both sides or veggies in one side and pellets in the other, whatever you want.

Jane_G

Cavy Slave
I use a heavy porcelin bowl that actually is a soup bowl (it says "chicken soup" on the side). She still tips it when she leans on it but it doesn't go over. You could probably get a cheap bowl on the clearance section of the supermarket or a home furnishings store. If it really gets bad, you could just put the veggies on a plate and let him stand in his food and eat.

For her pellets, I use a small bowl that I got at some pet store. She doesn't really stand on that one, just the one with her veggies.

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Ya, I got one of them cat dishes. $0.97 at Walmart.

Newpiggiemom

Cavy Slave
My pig kept turning the dish over and then actually knocked it down the ramp. I got one that attaches to the side of the cage with a screw. The base stays attached and the bowl twists out. He can't move it. Problem solved. I just poked a small hole through my coroplast side to attach it.

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
I use a porcelin dish with my piggies and they have never tipped it. It is rather small too so they don't poop in it either! You can get cheap porcelin dishes at the dollar store. They usually have dog bones or fish painted on them though!

i am me

Cavy Slave
Anyone use poutlry clip-on feeders?

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
I use a ceramic cat bowl, it's heavy bottomed and very hard for them to tip over. I have had some success with the Gravity Feeder, but with 3 pigs in once cage they were always fighting over it.

TX_2_Pigs

Cavy Slave
Anyone use poutlry clip-on feeders?
I use these under the water bottles to catch the drips.

I got one that attaches to the side of the cage with a screw. The base stays attached and the bowl twists out. He can't move it. Problem solved. I just poked a small hole through my coroplast side to attach it.

I have the same kind and did the same thing.

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
021-2.jpg

Here is a picture of the Walmart bowl. My pigs do very well with it, It doesnt tip if they stand on it, but htye dont have to because its so shallow. Also my Chewie is infamous for picking up the bowl with his teeth and dumping it, he hasnt yet and I've had this for a while.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
You may also want to try a small dog bowl. They are often wider at the bottom than the top and much harder to tip over. Many of my dishes are colorful saucers that go under flower pots. If you get the glazed or plastic ones, they can easily go into the dishwasher.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
Thanks Percy's Mom, Jenni Feathers, TX_2_Pigs, Aertyn, i am me, newpiggiemommy, newpiggiemom, Jane_G, and PigglyWiggly! I greatly appreciate the helpful responses you posted!

Thanks again

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
TX_2_Pigs: Thank you for your picture of that water bottle drip catcher! Thats another good idea to catch drips, I am going to use either a similar object (what is that by the way?) or a brick.

MainerGal

Cavy Slave
I saw someone on another website that used soap dishes as their guinea pig's food bowls. They are good because they are wide and very hard to tip. :)

TX_2_Pigs

Cavy Slave
(what is that by the way?)

It is a chicken feeder bowl. We have chickens and had a few extra and I thought they would work great. And they do. They have little tabs on the back side that fit perfectly over the coroplast. I used bricks for a while but sometimes my pigs play with the water and now I will come over sometimes and find that drip-dish almost full! If I didn't have the drip-dish, all that water would have went to the towels with the brick. They don't have a problem at all with it. They just put their little paws on the edge and drink away.

I need to get some pictures of them doing that because it really is cute.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone! The responses are greatly appreciated!:cheerful:

Maisiepaisie

Cavy Slave
Many of my dishes are colorful saucers that go under flower pots.
I started using those too. I got some really big ones made from glazed terracotta. I put them on the edge of the vetbed to stop my little burrowers and it worked; they're too heavy to move.

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
I read that for dogs and cats, they shouldn't have plastic bowls for food because the plastic inhibits more bacteria, despite cleaning. Is this true for cavies also?

I was just curious, because I was thinking about getting that plastic split cat dish, but I want to make sure first.

Thank you in advance!

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
I use the double sided cat dish, and my dogs and cats also have plastic bowls. I clean them in the dishwasher, so I think they should be sanitary enough. If you don't have a dishwasher and are worried about bacteria in the plastic, I am sure boiled water poured in the bowls and left for a few minutes would kill off the germs. My animals have always been fine with the plastic. I got in the habit of giant plastic bowls, when my kids were toddlers, porcelain bowls and toddlers made me nervous..lol.

newbie meggie

Cavy Slave
I use a small ceramic cat bowl :) they're a great size and is heavy to avoid tipping... i think they look nicer than plastic :p no offense to those that do use plastic :p

When I do get another bowl I'll be searching the charity stores you never know what you could find! :) not only that I'll be donating to a cause :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.