Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Noel has ringworm on her nose. =( I have a question...

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
:eek:hmy: I think it was GuineaLynx that said to throw away all the wooden stuff that was in your pig's habitat when it was infected, because the ringworm is somehow in the wood, and could re-infestate itself in your cavies at any time?

Please tell me if I confused something. I have the rainbow-color fiddle sticks in there, should I throw that away? What about the accessories that are made of that woven grass stuff? Couldn't ringworm spores (or whatever spreads around the wood) be in there also?

I'll throw away anything it takes to get rid of the parasite.

Would Lysol (rinsed very throughly of course) kill ringworm?

Also, the vet gave me some Animax cream/gel stuff to put on the site on Noel's nose, and it seems to be somewhat improving, but slowly. How fast does ringworm go away?

The lab hasn't called us yet, so we don't know whats up with her nose. The vet wasn't certain, so he scraped it and pulled hair out to send off to the lab.

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
"10 views, no replies?" says Noel *hinthint wheekwheek*

krittercrazy

Cavy Slave
Ringworm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Guinea Lynx :: Fungus

I added a few links for you to look at. Guinea Lynx does suggest removing wooden items, as they are hard to disinfect. The fiddle sticks, are they there for chewing? If so, you would be better having hay down for that purpose. I would also throw away the woven grass items too. They cannot be easily disinfected.

Bleach would be better to use to clean and disinfect. "
dt.gif
Soak all equipment and wash cages in a fungicide like LD disinfectant or a dilute solution of bleach (let sit for 15 minutes then rinse)." (quoted from guinea lynx)

What kind of bedding do you use? If you don't already use it, you might want to switch to fleece or something you can put in the washing machine and bleach.

If it is ringworm, the animax is unlikely to cure the it. You will need an anti-fungal medication such as miconazole. Guinea Lynx tells you exactly how to treat. It can take a while for ringworm to heal and no longer be contagious. When I had it, it took at least a month or more.

You will want to wear gloves when handling her and wash your clothes after handling her too. You will need to keep any other animals you have away from her and any thing she touches.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.