Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

building my own cage?

juniormylove

Cavy Slave
My dad and I have decided that the piggies need a bigger cage. I'm not sure yet where I'll put it, but I'm thinking on a table in my room (or on the floor..who knows??) I'll admit, I don't know a whole lot about guinea pigs. Well, I know how to take care of them and feed them, but when it comes to what they need cage-wise, I'm a total newbie.

Since we're building it we're free to put pretty much whatever we want into it :] I'm really excited about that..but I don't know what to put in it.

Their cage now seems a little tiny (probably okay for them but whatever) so I definitely want it to be bigger, so I know it will be bigger..but how big is roomy enough for two guinea pigs? Is it okay if the cage is long and kinda skinny? Or should it be more square?

My dad's pretty good with making things (we built me a saddle rack earlier this year) but we need plans.

Should piggies have multiple layers in their cage? How would I build a ramp thing up to it then? Would the ramp need to be a gradual incline? My guinea pigs don't seem that agile so thats why I'm wondering.

Would a chicken wire type thing be good for the top and sides? I think I remember reading somewhere not to use glass...but i don't remember why.

As I think of more questions I'll post them, so be ready lol

Thanks so much!!

Last edited:

Pumpkin_RIP

Cavy Slave
Most people use Cubes and corplast for their cages, and it seems to work best. Cubes are the shelfing cubes you can find in Target,a LOT, for about $15. Coroplast is usually found in Lowes or places like that for pretty cheap. They are very easy to make, and they have great directions on this site. Let me see if I can get you the link.... here it is: https://www.guineapigcages.com/howto.htm

Also, if you want to make another level, make sure it has enough supports on the bottom, and Yes, the ramp should be a gradual incline.

fourboys4now

Cavy Slave
Two of my boys are in a cage by themselves. They had a 2x4 cage, but one was always hiding. So last weekend we expaneded to 3x4 cube and coroplast cage. They are both out and exploring all the time. The extra room made all the difference in their personalities. I also have a 3x6 c&c cage that has 4 boys in it. We used grids to make the base of the cages as well. That way we don't have to bend to the floor to play with piggies or to feed them. Good luck with the cage building. Your piggies will love a larger cage so much.

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
If you are wanting to build a cage that is larger, but more permanent than a C&C- I have just the cage for you!

I built this cage with my grandfather earlier this year for my pigs. It is 36inx72in and is large enough for 2-3 pigs. I have 4 so I added on another section with a ramp leading to it (see 2nd picture)

11-11-07_Completed_cage_003.jpg

2-21-08_Ramp_001.jpg

I have a step by step (how-to) thread when we were making it (with pictures!) here:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/about-cages/31205-wickeds-cage.html

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.