Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ceramic Tiles?

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
I put a ceramic tile in my pig's "cage" and I must say, it works very well. My pigs nails are beginning to wear down. When I first put it in, it looked as if Coco was going to start to nibble or eat it! Should I take it out so he does not eat it anymore?

Thanks in advance

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Did he actually chew on it? I'm a little confused becuase you said it looked like he was going to, but then you said should I take it so do he doesnt it anymore.
If he is actually chewing on it I would take it out so he dont chip a tooth.

Last edited:

Pumpkin_RIP

Cavy Slave
Do you mean that you keep tile in his cage permanetly?? if so, please don't! that can get very cold, not to mention it's not very soft nor comfy to sleep on.

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
I would put a nice size, flat, easily accessible pumice stone (if it even exists in that shape) in there to trim nails instead, because pumice (make sure its clean) is safe for them to chew on, and it works on their teeth and nails.

They sell little pumice cubes and pumice rocks in pet supply places, so I gather that its deemed safe.

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
Pumpkin_RIP - there is nothing wrong with keeping any type of tile/paver/stone in a pigs cage permanently. I have 4 flat stones, that are cold. They have 2 purposes:
1 - The girls like to lie on them when it is hot
2 - They hold the corners of the towels down stopping them burrowing

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Pumice isn't actually good for pigs. You can use ceramic tiles, concrete tiles or bricks in the cage though.

Pumpkin_RIP, I have to ask you to please refrain from giving bad advice or wrong advice on this forum. You are still learning a lot about pigs yourself.

naturegal592

Cavy Slave
I had a slate tile in my cage for a while but they started using it for a litter box and it was getting really "Muddy" everyday so I had to take it out.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
Jenni- I meant he looked as if he was trying to nibble on it, and I asked if I should take it out?

Pumpkin RIP- I do have it in there but I move it around.

He does not EAT IT, but he does TRY to NIBBLE ON IT!

Pumpkin_RIP

Cavy Slave
Pumpkin_RIP - there is nothing wrong with keeping any type of tile/paver/stone in a pigs cage permanently. I have 4 flat stones, that are cold. They have 2 purposes:
1 - The girls like to lie on them when it is hot
2 - They hold the corners of the towels down stopping them burrowing

I just meant the whole cage in tile, I'm sure just a little is perfectly fine.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
His tiles are leftovers from when my parents redid the bathroom and they said I could have them.

One is 8" square and the other is 7" square. I leave them NEAR the hay so when he eats, he is wearing his nails down at the same time. MULTI TASKING!

Even if I did cover them in tiles, I'd put towels over them, which defeats the purpose of them. I don't think it would be comfy anyways.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.