Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What's the best kind of bedding?

juniormylove

Cavy Slave
I currently have two guinea pigs, Pepsi and Buddy. Haha they were the best buy I've ever made at Target lol

Anyways. . . my mom always buys them pine bedding. Is that good for them? I know there's a certain type that causes respiratory problems, but I can't remember what. What is it?

If pine's not okay, what kind of bedding should I be getting for them?

Thanks!

willowfaery

Cavy Slave
Kiln-dried pine is the good stuff. It's not as harsh on their lungs.

You bought your guinea pig at Target? I didn't know they sold guinea pigs.

willowfaery

Cavy Slave
Carefresh is excellent but a little more expensive. Aspen is good too. You could also do Aspen on the bottom with a layer of Carefresh on the top. Right now I am using fleece and so far so good. I just have to vacuum up the poo every chance I get, because it does start to smell a bit.

juniormylove

Cavy Slave
I think it was Target..maybe it was Meijers..idk. One of those stores.

Okay, thanks. I'm glad to hear that I'm not hurting my piggies.

I think the brand we usually use is Kaytee or something like that.

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Pine bedding is no good at all unless it is kiln dried, if its not it has phenols that can cause liver damage some kiln dried still has some phenols, its what gives it the "pine" smell. Carefresh is good but pricey, Aspen is good. Fleece is the best IMO. Cedar should also never be used. Here is a link about bedding types and choices, it all explains why pine is bad. Bedding

Here is another page that is all about pine and cedar. (broken link removed)

Last edited:

xPiggiesx

Cavy Slave
I quite like Carefresh, or the generic one, Critter Care. It's easy to clean, doesn't smell, and the Critter Care is pretty cheap compared to the Carefresh. The pine is bad unless it's kiln-dried, cedar shouldn't be used at all. I find that Aspen is okay, but I worry that it might hurt their feet. :p I tried the fleece, but if you don't have enough time to wash it twice a week and clean up poops daily, you shouldn't use it.

juniormylove

Cavy Slave
I don't know what brand my mom got, but I looked closely and it said kilned dried on it. So yep we have kilned dried pine now :]

ali's_pigs123

Cavy Slave
I use Pine bedding right now and I am satisfied with it!

It does not smell very bad, and absorbs very well

PiggieLuffer

Cavy Slave
I heard pine is hard on their lungs and can cause little irritations on their underbellies and make their privates burn or get irritated.
I use fleece and am very satisfied so far on the fact no more pee spots that are difficult to scrape off.
But some great bedding many have not heard of is Soft-Sorbent. I used it with my guinea pig Rodney before and he seems pretty content with it. He popcorned a lot in his life. I tried Carefresh with him too but it got expensive. I also tried aspen but it stuck to the bottom of the cage too easily and wasn't as absorbent as soft-sorbent.
Hope this helped!!

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
I have heard of Kaytee's Soft Sorbent and all I have talked to have said that it spills all over the place.

NoCableIsSafe

Cavy Slave
I use to use carefresh, but the only source of carefresh where I live was either Pets at Home or a less reliable pet supplies stockist. I since moved to fleece bedding. :)

guinealovee

Cavy Slave
I use fleece, and I love it!

fourboys4now

Cavy Slave
I highly recommend fleece. It is the best bedding ever. I would never go back to shavings of any kind.

newbie meggie

Cavy Slave
I use fleece as well.. though it does stink a bit by the time i do my once a week change.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.