Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Rattie Questions

Tinkr4147

Cavy Slave
Hello,
So, I have been doing a lot of research and it seems like ratties make awesome pets. I do love my guinea pigs, but it seems like rats are more social? Today I went to the humane society and there was a HUGE one year old rat. I think it was the biggest rat I have ever seen, he was adorable. I also found out that the people before him fed him french toast, which is probably why he is so fat. But, he looked like he had red crusties on his nose. Could that mean he is sick? I just would like to know from some knowledgeable rat people, before I adopt him. Thanks!!

PapuaNewGuinea

Cavy Slave
My girlfriend has Rats, and one in particular gets the red crust around her eyes and nose. It's supposed to be linked with respiratory problems.
Munch normally gets it in the morning after waking up.
If you do get this (or any) rat I'd take him to the vet for a checkup just incase.

Tinkr4147

Cavy Slave
Respiratory problems was what I was thinking. But, I read that rats can get something called Porphyrin staining, which develops around their eyes and mouth due to stress. Could that be it?

Thanks![FONT=verdana,geneva,arial][/FONT]

crazywiggy

Cavy Slave
Yes you read it righ.... it could be a sign of stress. I've seen many rats suffer from it after being moved, or seeing a vet.

Here are some descriptions...
(broken link removed)

Last edited:

*CaVyCrAzEd*

Cavy Slave
It is not uncommon for rats to have some respiratory problems. They can have some reddish brown crusting around the eyes and nose, and it isn't necessarily serious. But, if your rat has a large amount of secretion and is having trouble breathing, it should probably be taken to the vet. You shouldn't really be able to hear your rat breathing unless your ear is right up close to their face, and breathing should have a normal tempo.

So, if there is only a small amount of secretion and your rat is otherwise fine and shows no other harmful signs, they are probably okay.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.