Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Is something wrong?

Tinkr4147

Cavy Slave
Hello,
I finally finished my C&C cage for Gidget and Gwen. But, they seem extra skiddish in their new cage. Gidget, who normally comes right up to the cage is the morning to get her veggies, was hiding in a corner...which is very weird for her. Gidget has never been so skiddish around me. Gwen, who usually wheeks so loud in the morning for her veggies, was just quiet. I am not sure what would be wrong. Are they just getting used to the new cage? It is much bigger than what they were in. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I am just a little concerned.

Thanks everyone!

Ellen

Cavy Gazer
My guess would be they are just settling into their new surroundings. Give them a little more time and maybe they'll get back to being their old selves.

babybunny

Cavy Slave
Yes, give them time. My boys were very different after I expanded the cage. Just keep your routine with them the same, it will help them adjust sooner. Don't worry if it takes a week or two (did with mine), they will soon be wheeking and charming you into slavery. ;)

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
Our girls were the same way when they went from a 4x2 to a 5x2. Just that little bit of difference made them nervous for a couple of days.

It just takes them some time to adjust to the extra space.

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
My piggies were the same way, but I think it is because they ran and ran and ran and popcorned like crazy when I put then in their new cage. I don't think my piggies slept at all the first night. So, the next morning was very quiet in our C&C.

Good Luck! I hope it all works out!

JanJam

Cavy Slave
When we put Marsha and Sophie in their 3x5 cage, Sophie the shy one became more outgoing and Marsha the laid back one became more skittish!
But then i have noticed Marsha goes through phases of being more skittish then fine again ... I agree with the others, time will help.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
My pig did this for a while and he still does it. My pig has had his for 10 days and he freaks out when I try to pick him up whether he is in his petstore cage, or the C+C, he has been skittish since hegot the first "C" of the C+C Cage.
What does this mean?

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
Does he get held often? How long have you had him?

My girls are pretty good. They are very confident and easy to catch. I got my first pig 10 months ago, my latest 5 months ago. They dont get cuddles every day, but I am in their cage cleaning it twice a day, plus feeding times etc so they get alot of human interaction.

Some pigs warm up with constant interaction and a routine, others are always skittish.

I think keeping him in the C&C all the time and starting a routine will help.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.