Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chewing question

Jane_G

Cavy Slave
I just bought Cookie a plastic type toy for her to go in. It looks like a PVC corner piece, but it is a green clear plastic. It is plenty big enough for her to go in. I looked in at her this morning and there are huge chew marks on the toy! I took it out of her cage to look more closely and it seems that the only thing she has done with this toy is to try and eat it.

My question is, do I have anything to worry about health/stomach wise with her? Should I take it away from her permantently or is this ok for her to chew on?

Thanks for any feedback.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
If she is chewing pieces out of the toy, I would remove it. Just scratching with her teeth should be ok. If your pig is a constant chewer, you may want to find her toys made of cardboard or wood. Either of these would be much safer. Does she also have unlimited hay to chew on 24/7? Is Cookie an only pig? It could be that she is bored and found something easy to destroy to amuse herself. A piggy buddy could alleviate this.

Jane_G

Cavy Slave
She has plenty of hay and wooden toys, but for some reason, this toy seemed to taste good. I took it out and am going to return it to the store. They shouldn't make things like this for small animals. It should have been made with a stronger type material that is more chew resistant.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
If it's been chewed, they aren't likely to take it back. Just because your pig chewed on a toy doesn't mean that it's not safe for small animals. Animals react to different toys in different ways. This is probably just not the right toy for your pig.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.