Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Showing piggies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Setsuna

Cavy Slave
Just wondering what your takes are on cavie shows. Someone asked me if i might consider showing but i didnt quite know what to say. = / i wouldnt be breeding them. and it could be a nice way to maybe meet other owner but im not sure what the show itself entails and wether it causes the piggies any real stress.

Info?

Treen

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't - it's not about the pigs, it's about the people. Guinea pigs like being in a familiar environment, not travelling in small carriers, being in a strange, noisy place with the scent of lots of other guinea pigs (never mind the exposure to parasites and infections). Then sitting in a little pen or on a board and being examined.

People who show restrict the number of times they show any one pig in a year because they acknowledge it's a stressful experience for the cavy. And stress as well as being unpleasant, also affects health and makes animals more prone to illness. So why do it at all? It's not like they gain anything from it.

There are 'pet classes' but most all showing revolves primarily around breeds. And breeding is about producing particular physical characteristics without regard to how those characteristics may affect health, or the fact that we already have so many homeless guinea pigs in the world so don't really need them to churn out more.

Please remember that this forum is not breeding and showing friendly, so while a discussion of it is fine, this isn't the place to champion showing.

Setsuna

Cavy Slave
i never said it was i just wanted to ask what this places policy on showing is.

I wasnt championing it either I just dont know a thing about it and was curious.

Treen

Cavy Slave
That was more for anyone posting on the thread afterwards - as I said, discussion is fine, so sorry if you thought I was referring to your post.

Setsuna

Cavy Slave
Sorry ^^ Its just that everyone seems so hostile on this forum. I just assumed you were referring to me. My bad =3

Emily F.

Cavy Slave
You really think that we seem hostile??

leeannm81

Cavy Slave
I think sometimes people on this forum are so adament with their beliefs that they come off a little hostile. Not that they are mean or rude people, I just think that they believe so strongly about their cause that they tend to speak very strongly about it which can seem kind of hostile to others. But it's all for a good cause

Setsuna

Cavy Slave
Yeah its for a good cause but half the time its like newbies and anyone whos made a mistake is being snapped at. ^^ makes me wary just to post.

leeannm81

Cavy Slave
I totally understand where your coming from setsuna!!

liluqt

Cavy Slave
I guess we can all relate. At one point or another, we were all amateur piggie owners. Some of us still are like me ;) Others have taught us just as we will teach others in the future about cavy care!

Setsuna

Cavy Slave
=3 Ah but todays teachers seem to still believe in corporeal punishment and not Positive reinforcement. <3

Denise

Cavy Slave
Ahh, very good Setsuna!

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
I read they will put tags on the ears like they do the oink oink kind of piggys, but it is smaller and metal, not plastic.

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
I myself have definately been hostile to others, but I don't regret it. I have been rude to those who wanted to breed, those who were ignoring my posts about better grammar(as well as ignoring the forum rules) and then talked about how they couldn't make a cage and said that they bought pigs from pet stores, even after being told that they were bad bought another one. So I agree, we can be hostile but I guess we sometimes don't mean to be. I remember when I was a newbie, a few people snapped at me. I got over it, though.

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
Im have been there and done that too. I do just like what you do ruby. Like the one kid ilovebabe. she really wanted to breed and bound dermine to breed. Oh well hope she gets slapped in the face relizing that its costing too much money.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
I'm probably the one doing a lot of the "hostile" posting. I'm sorry if you take it the wrong way, but it's the only way that we can get the facts across--without adding all the feel-good fluff in.

jennz11

Cavy Slave
I think if someone has an opinion that they can express in a nicer way. And everyone needs to stop snapping over little things, this forum will be nothing if people are scared to post.
And guys if someone doesnt use proper grammer why is it a big deal? lol i dont understand its not english class!~! : P

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
People from all over the world post here. If we dont use proper grammer it can be hard for them to read.

Treen

Cavy Slave
Plus text talk and similar ways of abbreviating words are not only irritating to look at, but they take old gippers like me an age to work out!

No one expects everyone's spelling and grammar to be perfect - it's not about being graded. It just makes the posts far more accessible to people of all ages and languages if they're written properly.

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
Some of the things I couldn't get (the text talk) like Sp? which was spelled right. Now I know.

Treen-if you can't figure some text talk out one of us who uses it or use it could tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.