Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Is this alright?...

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
I just bought grids yesterday from Bed bath & Beyond.

I set them up and I want to try and not put Coco back in his petstore cage.

This means that the temporary 2x4 JUST GRIDS pen is his "cage".

Will he be alright with having this as his cage until I get the coroplast?

I am not totally sure about when I will get the coroplast, but it would not be more than 2 weeks.

I have towels for the bedding now and he does not seem to mind.

He has all of his hideys, food, and water.

Is it alright to give him 24/7 floor time until I purchase the coroplast?

i-love-nev

Cavy Slave
Absolutely fine! :D Hope he likes his new cage/play pen!

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
Thanks i-love-nev.

I am sure that he will love his cage.

Actually, I think he is enjoying it now!

steve_and_pigs

Cavy Slave
Yeah, that's perfectly fine. Get some fleece asap to put on top of the towels. They usually have inexpensive throws (60"x50") at Walgreens and target-like places. That size will cover a 2x4 just fine.

The towels will get wet, so you want to put something waterproof underneath to protect the floor, like a tarp or shower liner.

When I do a temporary cage like that, I put down the tarp/towels/fleece first, and then the grids. I do that so the bedding is a little larger then the grid cage. At the very least, make sure the tarp layer is larger then the cage by several inches on all sides. I've also seen folks curl/fold up the tarp on the inside of the cage to create sides that keep in the poop and hay.

What do you mean by 24x7 floor time? I'm sure he would love it, but you're gonna be running around cleaning up after him, and he could chew some furniture, or get stepped on.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
When my pig has floor time, he is never with out some form of an enclosure.

He is in the grids right now and is out of a place where there is not alot of traffic.

By 24/7 floor time, I meant like being out of his cage and being in the grids.

steve_and_pigs

Cavy Slave
If your new cage does not need a top (because of cats/dogs/etc), then I'd get him out of that pet store cage and into his temporary grid cage as soon as you can!

Most likely the water bottle, and anything else you might have, will work fine with the grids. Since he'll be in it for weeks, you really do need something waterproof on the bottom.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
Steve_and Pigs-

He is in the grids now and has been since this morning at about 8AM.

He was not in them overnight last night because it was cold and the "cage is on the floor so he may have become a little chilly. (Even with the two towels he had under him!)Tonight, I am going to try and leave him in there all night and put down and extra towel or two.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
For the water proof thing steve, I don't think I really have to worry alot about it now.

He is on 2 towels so I just rotate them every other day right now and he is fine.

But he is only on his 1 full day with the grids so I guess I will have to prepare for that so thank you. I will put down an old shower curtain for now.

The shower curtain thing is kind of convinient because my mom just bought a new one yesterday and it was just put up so, I will ask her.

steve_and_pigs

Cavy Slave
Oh, non-carpet floor can get really cold, depending on the floor and the weather.

A good way to test your insulation is to stand in the cage with your piggie for a while. No socks. If your feet feel cold, then you need more insulation.

You can also put something, like an old ratty blanket, under the shower curtain. That will insulate much better because it will never get wet.

I made the mistake of putting my piggies on some tile once. They had towels and fleece, but I guess it was not enough. I checked on them, and they were all puffed up. I felt terrible. I added some foam mats that that worked well.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
I did that and I put a few towels under the places he hangs out on. Like hideys. But it was not cold otherwise so I think he is fine, but I did the extras anyways!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.