Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

newbie builder, help, tips & critisism welcome

scooby_si

Cavy Slave
Hi folks,
Great site & info you have here! Couldn't resist following suit after falling in love with the fun factor of the first cage pictures.

Yet to buy any piggies but midway through my build now based largely on the first images i saw.

Thought it would be cunning to ask for any hints tips, critisisms or thoughts before i bolt her all together only to of missed something obvious or worse dangerous. So your thoughts please folks:

Basic principle of 5x3 with 3x2 2nd floor, cable tied with 3 ties on walls & 2 on each side for flooring + correx cut to shape:

build2.jpg

Wasn't sure of how to best support second floor beyond cable ties so figured a couple of bars which i'll put ends on & against the wall to stop them sliding out would be a good back up & potential to hang toys/food off:

build1.jpg

With regards seond floor also going to fully enclose it with ramp joining it in the middle of a grid so no potential piggie suicide attempts. Looks a bit low thou so figure i should cut another section higher to allow free running, will line it all with fleece so they wont catch on it at all:

build3.jpg

Maybe stick the ramp through more so no gaps at all?

build4.jpg

Got vetbed fleece stuff on order + the essentials then it's off to local rescue home to save some squeaky piggies.

Your thoughts please folks?

Ta
Si

wiggley_narco

Cavy Gazer
Wow! It looks like you've done an excellent job! I'm glad you've been able to put the forum's valuable information to good use! How many piggers do you plan on getting?

Good luck! :)

scooby_si

Cavy Slave
only planning on 2 spoilt ones to start with but may get seduced to have more if not initially then in the fullness of time.......
Ta
Si

i-love-nev

Cavy Slave
only planning on 2 spoilt ones to start with but may get seduced to have more if not initially then in the fullness of time.......
Ta
Si

I think others will agree with me when I say, there is no such thing as "Just one more" lol

Great cage !!

Char-x

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Looks great, well done!

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
You have done a fabulous job! Looks like you have been building cages your whole life! That is a huge cage for two piggies! They will love it!

Your piggies will be very lucky to have found you! Don't forget to read all of the info on the yummy veggies they eat! And make sure you check out the KM hayloft site for hay and pellets!

Good Luck!

scooby_si

Cavy Slave
Already been shopping for various best pellets & have a shopping list for best veg for when piggies are moving in.

Latest pix below:

Had to cut a bit more out of ramp entrance at top as way too low with the fleece plus lined it with fleece partly because i could & partly cause it wasn't 100% smooth & i only had hacksaw not sandpaper

build7.jpg

build8.jpg

build9.jpg

build10.jpg

build11.jpg

Any cunning plans on layout whether too much stuff or placement? Trying to leave space round outside of area so free to run round like loonies? Plus too many beds (2 huts, 2 proped open fleece pocket thingies & 1 snuggle without the plastic insert to hold opening open, also got a tent thing not currently in there, 2 bottle, 1 hay rack, 1 hay spinning ball thingy & 1 hanging thing to fill with hay &/or treats, 1 wooden chew ball with holes for sticking things in, 1 straw type ball, 1 bowl, need another bowl one broke in post ) less is more or all good? Any improvements AKA constructive critisism welcome

Also any thoughts on the ramp whether i should trim fleece back so it's just on the flat bit to avoid potential climbing up sides & jumping off thing?

Obviously got to add a bit of hay for play & eating but no point till the lill oinkers are on their way......
Ta
Si

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.