Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Opinion on number of pigs

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
I currently have 4 sows in a 2.7x4.5 grid cage. This is about 1.5sq m or 16sq ft. This is the latest photo of their cage (the only thing that has changed is that their hay rack is now a grid sectioning off the corner, and stuffed with hay, if this makes sence).

Thegirls004.jpg

Now, what I am thinking of doing is removing their lazy lounge, creating more running space in the process. Then making a second level, say 2x2 grids about 3 or so squares (will work out how high later) high. I am thinking of using these s clips to keep it in place, then I will just need to lift it out to clean and such (any opinions on the making of this level are welcome). Anyway, their stuffed dog bone and cuddle cups will be able to go up the top creating more running space down the bottom and they wont need a ramp as they can just jump up. This is the theory. I am not sure how good it will work, so suggestions and thoughts are appreciated.

Moving on, I would like to add another little pig to my herd. I was hoping to adopt a long haired pig, of any age. I do have my eye on the only pig currently in the RSPCA shelter in Malaga - the only one in the state - https://www.adoptapet.com.au/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=53994&result=1&statusID=3 . Little Curly is a male, but a gorgeous fella. I would nueter him if I do adopt him, although it is rather costly - $110.

So what I suppose I am asking in the end is whether 5 pigs would be happy in a 16sq ft cage? Keeping in mind they are sows so can get away with living in smaller spaces I would think it is fine, but want your opinions on this, and also my ideas above.

i-love-nev

Cavy Slave
Sorry PFL, I would say not. Maybe a 2x6 but 2.7x4.5 seems a little too small. Maybe if you could have a 2 grid high 2x3 that would work but IMO that cage is a little small for 5 pigs. Also thought I would point out
Sex: Male Colour: Tan / White

Desexed Unknown Age

Excuse me if I am wrong, but desexed is neutered? well at least with ferrets, cats, dogs etc etc. Good luck with the cage!!

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
IMO ~ I would not add another piggie to this cage. If you put in a half level (one that doesn't require a ramp) you will be taking space away from the lower level. It will be to low for the piggies to run and popcorn under!

If you expand your cage out to a full 3x5 it is the minimum for 5 piggies, but by the time you put in all of the required hideys, dishes, water bottles, etc. it just doesn't seem big enough.

And if you add a second level you are taking away from the required space.

Also with a long haired piggie, I would think you would want a slightly larger cage. My theory is that the bigger the cage the cleaner the piggies will be. I know long haired piggies can get poop in their hair if the cage is crowded because it gets messy so fast!

wiggley_narco

Cavy Gazer
In my opinion, that cage seems a little small for 5 GPs. If there is any way you could expand it some, that would be ideal. Maybe make it one grid wider. If you're having space issues, an L-shaped cage might be a good idea, as it can fit in a corner.

wiggley_narco

Cavy Gazer
Excuse me if I am wrong, but desexed is neutered? well at least with ferrets, cats, dogs etc etc. Good luck with the cage!!

Actually, I think what the ad is saying is the sex is male, the color is tan/white, desexed is unknown (meaning they do not know if he has been neutered), and age is left blank. So yes, desexed means neutered, but the ad says it is unknown whether or not he has been desexed.

i-love-nev

Cavy Slave
Actually, I think what the ad is saying is the sex is male, the color is tan/white, desexed is unknown (meaning they do not know if he has been neutered), and age is left blank. So yes, desexed means neutered, but the ad says it is unknown whether or not he has been desexed.

Oh, I just read over it and that seems to be a better under standing lol

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
Sorry PFL, I would say not. Maybe a 2x6 but 2.7x4.5 seems a little too small. Maybe if you could have a 2 grid high 2x3 that would work but IMO that cage is a little small for 5 pigs. Also thought I would point out.

Err, a 2x6 cage is 16.3 square feet. Her cage is 16.2 square feet. I don't know that .1 square foot is enough of a difference to quibble about.

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
I can not expand any further.

My theory/reasoning -
2 sows = 2x3
1 boar = 2x3

So continuing on:
5 sows = 2x6 - if my calculations are correct than that is 1.1sq m.

My cage is = 1.5sq m

Of course bigger is always better, I know that. I am currently living in my parents house due to rental issues at my last house (basically the pigs were not on the lease, and the owner wasnt happy anymore). I am darn lucky that my parents would let the pigs and I stay there until I can find us another house. They set the rules on the size of the cage, and I have to obey them as it is their house. Until I can find another house this is the size that their cage will be.

I thought that adding a second level that was high enough that they could run around and do zoomies on the bottom level but low enough that they could jump up was a brilliant idea. Obviously not.

It may work out that I do not adopt a long haired pig. But if I do, then her hair will be kept short and manageable with her bottom area shaved.

Anymore suggestions/opinions are welcome.

steve_and_pigs

Cavy Slave
I'll do the official lecture as best I can: :)

I have 3 sows and 1 neutered boar in a 14 square cube cage. I also have a 5 square cube loft. I think I could add one more sow (for 4+1), but it would be the limit.

You are proposing 4+1 pigs in 12.15 square cubes. That is pretty tight. The minimum recommended (guineapigcages.com) for just 4 sows is 12 square cubes.

If your sows are really bonded and they tend to sleep and pile together, you might be ok. You are just over the recommended minimum now. Another pig will put you under. If it is a male, even more under.

To do what you are proposing, you would need a large loft to provide additional hayracks, hidey's, etc. Your cage looks a bit flimsy to support such a loft. When they run up and around, the whole cage will rumble and shake. My loft is really rigid, and my big male can still shake things up.

Keep in mind that this loft would not get you out from under the recommended minimum for running space. It would just be to provide adequate feed stations and hideys. The ramp for the loft would also take away from the space below.

Also, males tend to be bigger, so they do a lot more "business". Assume that you would be adding two or more sows mess to the cage by adding a male.

Having a male in the herd is fun, and worth the extra poop. Just grow your cage when you find a new house. Try to find an already neutered, or non-male friendly male to neuter.

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
I'll do the official lecture as best I can: :)

I have 3 sows and 1 neutered boar in a 14 square cube cage. I also have a 5 square cube loft. I think I could add one more sow (for 4+1), but it would be the limit.

You are proposing 4+1 pigs in 12.15 square cubes. That is pretty tight. The minimum recommended (guineapigcages.com) for just 4 sows is 12 square cubes.

No. The minimum for 4 boars is a 2x6. 4 sows can live happily in a 2x5. I know people, mods even, who have 2 sows in a 2x3 for example. So going on that theory, 5 sows can live in a 2x6.

ETA:
You cant really talk in square cubes as grids are different lengths. Continuing on though, 4 sows can live happily in 10 square cubes.

If your sows are really bonded and they tend to sleep and pile together, you might be ok. You are just over the recommended minimum now. Another pig will put you under. If it is a male, even more under.

To do what you are proposing, you would need a large loft to provide additional hayracks, hidey's, etc. Your cage looks a bit flimsy to support such a loft. When they run up and around, the whole cage will rumble and shake. My loft is really rigid, and my big male can still shake things up.

It did look flimsy then - in the photo. I have sinced, pulled parts apart, placed them back together and used literally thousands of cable ties. There is no way you can call it flimsy now, I will get an updated picture for you all.

steve_and_pigs

Cavy Slave
No. The minimum for 4 boars is a 2x6. 4 sows can live happily in a 2x5. I know people, mods even, who have 2 sows in a 2x3 for example. So going on that theory, 5 sows can live in a 2x6.

I misread the chart. The "in grids" column is the "minimum" for one pig, and the "PREFERRED" for multiple pigs. Scrap all that. At least I tried :)

Adding a male would just move you from preferred to minimum.

ETA:
You cant really talk in square cubes as grids are different lengths.

That's really splitting hairs for all practical comparison. Grids tend to vary from the standard by 1/4", so 4 grids would only only vary in length plus or minus one inch. That adds or subtracts like 0.1 square feet.

It did look flimsy then - in the photo. I have sinced, pulled parts apart, placed them back together and used literally thousands of cable ties. There is no way you can call it flimsy now, I will get an updated picture for you all.

Ah, that will make a big difference.

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
That's really splitting hairs for all practical comparison. Grids tend to vary from the standard by 1/4", so 4 grids would only only vary in length plus or minus one inch. That adds or subtracts like 0.1 square feet.

There are several brands which are 15" square at the moment. I've never seen any that were non-round numbers, like 14.25".

Feylin

Cavy Slave
As for the long haired pig and the poops- I would be going nuts with mine if I didn't have a 2x5 for my 3 boars. I have a 1x3 loft to get the hay and food out of the way and turned the ramp into a hide to help clear out space.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.