Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I am very impressed ...

JanJam

Cavy Slave
With this forum! What a great source of information ... I can see I'll be online a lot of time LOL.

Just to introduce myself, I'm Jenny and my husband is Adrian.

We have 2 piggies right now, hoping to get 3 more in about a week from a local rescue centre, but it all depends if they all get on .. watch this space.

The ones now ...

Marsha - born September 2001. She is the queen piggie but a real relaxed, laid back character. She's a dutch type, black and white banded. She loves having her chin tickled and will sometimes lick us.

Sophie - born ?. Sophie came to us via a friend in December 2004. She originally belonged to the friends next door neighbour, who sadly suffered with cancer and thus was unable to care for Sophie or her cagemate who died. Our friend took Sophie in for a bit but he doesn't have any guinea pigs so we put her with our ones and they all got on well. Sophie is a little on the shy side, she is black with nice golden highlights (she would have paid a fortune in the hairdressers for them!). She likes a tickle under the chin too but only if you stand behind her and massage her with BOTH hands!

I said Sophie lived with "the others". We had 3 more piggies ... all gone over the Rainbow Bridge now, but I'd like to write about them in memory.

Daisy - big blonde and brassy! She used her good looks to get away with murder! She unfortunatly died very young in March 2005- only 3 and a half. She had bloat and despite a week in the animal hospital it got her in the end. She used to fight a lot with Amber (more on her later)

Doris - also known as Doris R2D2 for her noises. Doris lived for her stomach. There wasn't a corner she wouldn't go to in her constant search for food. She used to climb up on her back legs and make the cage bars shudder with her teeth - ringing the dinner bell. She went on November 30th 2007 being cuddled by Adrian, it was a URI that got her, she did get to the vet but we were too late .... I still cry and feel bad.

Amber - the feisty one! My god, she could be stroppy! Would march beside Queen Marsha as her second in command. Hated Daisy - those 2 used to fight like cat and dog. She had ovarian cycts, multiple bladder stones. She did have an operation to rmove them, but it was too much for her, and we sent her on her way on Feb 4th This year. Signing that paper was so hard... and I still cry.

We have a 20 square feet C&C cage that we have just built .. I'm readin the bedding forum with interest and have posted a question about heavy cotton rugs ... looking for some practical bedding that is good for the piggies health. The girls also free range in the day, they have the whole dinig room to wander about in if they want to.

So .. although there are only 2 girls right now, we are hoping next week to pick up 3 more from a local rescue centre. We have to buy a new outdoor run and we have to let the 5 piggies bond ... fingers corssed it all works out. If it does I'll be here shouting about it.

That's it really ... we originally got piggies because Big Brother, the first series, had them on TV. We had to wait until we got our own place, couldn't have them in rented, and we've not looked back since. I work in IT support and Adrian works in a hifi/AV shop, so in our daily lives we are used to people being demanding, rude and impatient. So it's lovely to come home to little piggies who like nothing more than some nice food, a bit of a walk and something comfy to lie on!

bunnys n pigs

Cavy Slave
Welcome to cavy cages then! All of your piggies sound beautifull and thumbs up on adopting ;). I hope you can find everything you`re looking for on the site and don`t be afraid to ask anyone for help.

Char-x

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! You're piggies sound lovely :] Have you got any pics of you're cage, sounds great!

Astrantia

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! I'm giggling at 'Doris - R2D2" lol

JanJam

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! I'm giggling at 'Doris - R2D2" lol
hee hee - she did sound just like R2D2. I miss Doris so much.

But onto the future - I am SO excited! We are due to pick up our newly bonded group of piggies either tonight or tomorrow! These will be our current two Marsha and Sophie, bonded with Lola, Dora and Poppy from a local rescue centre. Lola is granny, Dora is mummy and Poppy is the baby.

Their room (and I mean room) is all set up. I've just worked out that they will have about 100 square feet to roam about in (including the C&C cage). The heavy cotton rugs are lining the bottom of the cage, with a layer of towels on top then one layer of fleece. Adrian and I both like football and we found fleece with footballs on it - one red for Adrian's team colours (Middlesborough) and one blue for mine (AFC Wimbledon). I'll see how it goes with the layers underneath - may add more, from what I've read it's a case of experiment and do what works best (piggie health coming first of course). The rest of the dining room has some cloths down, some bits of old carpet and of course the favourite spot is waiting - we have a small TV on a stand, one of those stands which can house a video recorder under the TV. The piggies LOVE to go in there, it's enclosed and we put down some hay and newspaper and they love it (and sometimes fight over it).

And had a great result today - in a charity shop I found a standalone wire rack thing (apologies for the poor description). It makes a perfect hay rack! They only wanted 50p for it but I gave them £1 because it was so perfect and it was for charity.

This is like waiting for Xmas as a child! We haven't had any piggies in the house at all since Sunday and it's too quiet (they are all in a neutral location getting to know each other right now - we don't have the space to create a neutral area here). I am very much looking forward to having 5 sets of wheeking lungs, 5 hungry little jaws and 5 pooping bottoms about the place again.

OK, before I go on and on, taking up reams of space... I will get pictures here as soon as I can, need to borrow a digital camera from a friend (we have one but it's very old and not great quality at all).

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
Hello! Welcome! Your piggers sound cute as buttons! Do you have any pictures of them? I would love to see them!

JanJam

Cavy Slave
Hi Auburn

Only a few pictures so far - if you view my public profile you can see Marsha the Queen, plus the piggies who now reside over the Rainbow Bridge - Doris, Amber and Daisy.

As soon as I get my hands on a decent digital camera there will be loads more! The pictures I have a quite old - we used them on our wedding invitations in 2003 :)

JanJam

Cavy Slave
They are HERE!!!!

Well, the quarentine and introductions have been done, the weeks of waiting have been worth it!!

We now have 5 little piggies running about. Marsha and Sophie have been joined by Lola (2 years), Dora (9 months) and Poppy (4 months).

They have the C&C cage with fleece bedding, they've had some hay to eat and a little lettuce and parsley, and they seem to be really enjoying themselves. It's lovely to have a full house again, and they really don't seem too scared right now (although they do have an entire ROOM to wander about in).

I need to get a digital camera borrowed as soon as I can and get some pictures up here ... right now going back downstairs like the good piggie servant that I am.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.