PDA

View Full Version : Question

Faunn
12-06-04, 02:58 pm
Would eating chicken FLAVORED top-ramon be considered meat?

CavySpirit
12-06-04, 03:57 pm
Yes, it would.

Piglet
12-06-04, 04:06 pm
Whats top-ramon?

CavySpirit
12-06-04, 05:13 pm
It's a brand of instant noodles here in the US that you pretty much just add hot water to.

chrishall1979
12-08-04, 09:58 am
But if you can kick out every piece of meat but chicken flavored ramen, you're still doing a great job. I wouldn't fault you for it.

Chris

Faunn
12-08-04, 02:20 pm
there is no meat in it, but it has the flavor of chicken, I haven't eaten any for a long time...but my mom doesn't know I'm a veg yet, so I just refuse the meat...plus: what is a very high in protein fruit or veggie? Thanks!

chrishall1979
12-09-04, 01:42 am
I know there isn't meat in it, but where do you think they get the flavor? It's from meat. They arent catching sweat off chickens in some factory somewhere, ha ha! I don't see why people get do worried about protein. The average person needs about 9 grams of protein per 20lbs of weight a day to keep your tissues from degenerating. While a severe lack of it can cause death over a long period of time, no one really knows it's effects in larger quantities. There are risks such as: In the Nurses' Health Study, for example, women who ate more than 95 grams of protein a day were 20 percent more likely to have broken a wrist over a 12-year period when compared to those who ate an average amount of protein (less than 68 grams a day).

There are 2 kinds of protein, complete and incomplete. Complete protein comes from mostly animal sources. It contains all the amino-acids our body needs. Incomplete does not and comes mostly from fruits and vegetables.

Meat gives you high levels of protein a 6oz steak would give you roughly 38 grams of protein. However it brings in 44 grams of fat, 16 of them saturated. Where as a cup of cooked lentils would give you 18 grams of protein and less then 1 gram of fat.

The best sources for protein in vegetables and such are found in Tofu which gives 10 grams per half cup. Lentils offer 9 grams of protein per half cup. Other good sources are split peas, soy milk, wheat bread, white bread, rice, kidney beans, broccoli, potato's and corn.

Hope that gives you a start. Milk also gives some protein but it isnt part of a vegan diet, and it has been linked to a contributor in Diabetes Type 1, so use soy milk.

Chris

Faunn
12-09-04, 10:09 am
^_^ Thank you, I think I'll start eating more of those to keep me heathy. Thank you guys!

heabrook
12-13-04, 04:12 pm
There are also a few other grains that Chris did not mention. Quinoa (which is considered a grain, but is actually a seed) is a great source of protein. Rather than lecturing you about it, I found a link if you would like to read about it:

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/foods_view/0,1523,74,00.html

I usually sautee some vegetables in olive oil and put them on top of some cooked quinoa. Also, there is a company that makes quinoa and corn noodles, which are very good. They are wheat and gluten free also.

The next grain is millet, which is also a good source of protein and B vitamins.

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/foods_view/1,1523,72,00.html

You can also browse that website, it has a lot of good info on it about foods.

And if anyone has low iron levels, Teff is an excellent way to boost your iron. It's a grain that is used widely in ethiopia. I boil a cup or so in water and add cinnamon and other sipces to it. It makes a nice cereal in the morning.