Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Question

Faunn
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, it would.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Whats top-ramon?

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's a brand of instant noodles here in the US that you pretty much just add hot water to.

chrishall1979

Cavy Slave
But if you can kick out every piece of meat but chicken flavored ramen, you're still doing a great job. I wouldn't fault you for it.

Chris

Faunn

chrishall1979

Cavy Slave
I know there isn't meat in it, but where do you think they get the flavor? It's from meat. They arent catching sweat off chickens in some factory somewhere, ha ha! I don't see why people get do worried about protein. The average person needs about 9 grams of protein per 20lbs of weight a day to keep your tissues from degenerating. While a severe lack of it can cause death over a long period of time, no one really knows it's effects in larger quantities. There are risks such as: In the Nurses' Health Study, for example, women who ate more than 95 grams of protein a day were 20 percent more likely to have broken a wrist over a 12-year period when compared to those who ate an average amount of protein (less than 68 grams a day).

There are 2 kinds of protein, complete and incomplete. Complete protein comes from mostly animal sources. It contains all the amino-acids our body needs. Incomplete does not and comes mostly from fruits and vegetables.

Meat gives you high levels of protein a 6oz steak would give you roughly 38 grams of protein. However it brings in 44 grams of fat, 16 of them saturated. Where as a cup of cooked lentils would give you 18 grams of protein and less then 1 gram of fat.

The best sources for protein in vegetables and such are found in Tofu which gives 10 grams per half cup. Lentils offer 9 grams of protein per half cup. Other good sources are split peas, soy milk, wheat bread, white bread, rice, kidney beans, broccoli, potato's and corn.

Hope that gives you a start. Milk also gives some protein but it isnt part of a vegan diet, and it has been linked to a contributor in Diabetes Type 1, so use soy milk.

Chris

Faunn

heabrook

Cavy Slave
There are also a few other grains that Chris did not mention. Quinoa (which is considered a grain, but is actually a seed) is a great source of protein. Rather than lecturing you about it, I found a link if you would like to read about it:

(broken link removed)

I usually sautee some vegetables in olive oil and put them on top of some cooked quinoa. Also, there is a company that makes quinoa and corn noodles, which are very good. They are wheat and gluten free also.

The next grain is millet, which is also a good source of protein and B vitamins.

(broken link removed)

You can also browse that website, it has a lot of good info on it about foods.

And if anyone has low iron levels, Teff is an excellent way to boost your iron. It's a grain that is used widely in ethiopia. I boil a cup or so in water and add cinnamon and other sipces to it. It makes a nice cereal in the morning.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.