Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Is this normal??

Cavy Carnage

Cavy Slave
Well some may have read I have 2 new rats, they are about 5 months old. Well I know a rats tail is for balance but is it normal that its always curly? Kind of like a pigs tail, if i gently straighten it as soon as I let go it curls back up. It affect them both, I have added a picture of one of them (the other is to shy to have any good pics of her tail. It wouldn't bother me if they were good at balancing but they aren't. They cant seem to straighten them themselves to perch somewhere well, (my shoulder for example).

macabrechaos

Cavy Slave
do they by any chance have a wheel in thier cage or have been using a wheel?

wiggley_narco

Cavy Gazer
Hmm, I babysat two ratties a few months ago, and their tails never did that.... Macabrechaos poses a good question, tho.

Rattie Mom

Cavy Slave
That is a classic example of "wheelie tail" if I ever saw one ;) I assume they both like to run on their wheel??

I have a girl with wheelie tail so bad that it actually curls clear up over her back and down again. (I wish I could access my pics on photbucket from work...I could show you a pic) It looks funny, but completely normal for a rattie that loves to run on their wheel.

My rats' tails like that, seem to relax as they age and use their wheels less.

Cavy Carnage

Cavy Slave
Thanks guys, I have had rats before who used wheels and this never happened, I did think it a possibility but dismissed it. Hopefully once I have a new bigger cage made for them I can put more toys in beside the sacred wheel.

Last edited:

Rattie Mom

Cavy Slave
yeah, I've had lots of rats use their wheels, but just a handful that get "wheelie tail". I think it must all depend on how much they use it and how they hold their tails while they run. I have found that the most advid runners will literally run on that thing all night long.

I have a group of 9 girls in cage right now. Our cage is huge (sized for 12 rats) and we have 2 wheels ALWAYS in use. I have two spare wodent wheels, that we are about to put in the cage too. Then they will have 4 wheels to fight over. It's quite comical to see three trying to run in it at once!

Ok, now I HAVE to post those wheelie tail pics I have. Later today after I get home from work. ;)

I simply can't imagine having females without a wheel in their cage. They love those things!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.