Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Considering a Rat - Questions :]

Char-x

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Thanks to all the great advice from members on here, after pondering over whether to get a Hamster or Gerbil - I decided Rats would suit me more. I just have a few questions for those of you who have had experiance with them as pets.

Sorry if any of these have been asked before I have had a look through posts here though..

1) Are rats in anyway a danger to Guinea Pigs? I have been told they are prone to URI's so can this be a problem with pigs? Also can rats scare the pigs, like if I smell of rats with the pigs scarper from me? I just need to know that my pigs wouldnt be in any danger and they will still be okay with me ❤️

2) How many rats would I need to adopt? Ideally I would like two but do they need to be kept in a bigger group?

3) Can they be taken out, for example when I go to get the pigs food etc animals are allowed in, will they be okay health wise to do this with? Also will they run away?

4) I want a rat that will sit on my shoulder and really be happy "hanging out" with me and being tame..and of course taken out if they can be...will males be the best for this?

5) Are they expensive to treat at the vets? I know the pigs can be but I wouldn't have thought rats to be classed as "exotic"?

6) I would rather rescue rats, would I be better off getting them from babies or a group of already bonded adults? - I would rather not have to introduce since I'm new to all this

7) Do they play with toys alot? I'm a big fan of these :eek:

8) Food..now here is where I get confused. I've seen on Rats Rule the mix but what do you guys feed daily/weekly? Is it expensive? What meat do they eat? I need an idiots guide to this since food confuses me so much...

9) What bedding do you use? Could I use fleece?

This is the cage I want to save up and get them..is that okay?

(broken link removed)

Thanks to anyone who takes their time to answer, thanks will be given...
I'm sure I will have many more questions

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Yay; I think you would be a great rattie mom!

1) Are rats in anyway a danger to Guinea Pigs? I have been told they are prone to URI's so can this be a problem with pigs? Also can rats scare the pigs, like if I smell of rats with the pigs scarper from me? I just need to know that my pigs would be in any danger and they will still be okay with me
For safty sake you should always q-tine any new animals you bring into the home. That would include ratties. Place them in a separate room for 2-3weeks and have them checked over by a vet. If they are ok after that, it is safe to have in the same area as the piggers.

My ratties are in the hallway outside of my room and they don't seem to scare the pigs in the slightest.

2) How many rats would I need to adopt? Ideally I would like two but do they need to be kept in a bigger group?
2 rats is fine. Basically.. 2+ I am not quite sure if more is better. I think I would recommend a first time rat owner to stick with two.

3) Can they be taken out, for example when I go to get the pigs food etc animals are allowed in, will they be okay health wise to do this with? Also will they run away?
I am a bit confused. Do you mean come out of their cage with you to get the pigs food? That would be great! Rats need at least an hour of cuddle time with you daily. Shirts with the front pockets work great for socializing at first; they like to snuggle in there.

4) I want a rat that will sit on my shoulder and really be happy "hanging out" with me and being tame..and of course taken out if they can be...will males be the best for this?
Yup. My boys both love to sit on my shoulder and groom my hair. lol

5) Are they expensive to treat at the vets? I know the pigs can be but I wouldn't have thought rats to be classed as "exotic"?
They are classified as exotic. My vet goes based on weight for a checkup- so it would actually be cheaper than the piggers. Surgeries, etc.. would all be higher prices. You would have to check with your vet on that. I always make sure I have a $500+ vet fund saved up. Just in case.

6) I would rather rescue rats, would I be better off getting them from babies or a group of already bonded adults? - I would rather not have to introduce since I'm new to all this
Either way. Bonded adults are great, and babies are great.

7) Do they play with toys alot? I'm a big fan of these
Not really. My boys would rather come out and snuggle than play with a jingle ball or something. They like to hand-wrestle. Thats really fun.

8) Food..now here is where I get confused. I've seen on Rats Rule the mix but what do you guys feed daily/weekly? Is it expensive? What meat do they eat? I need an idiots guide to this since food confuses me so much...
I feed Oxbow Regal Rat. You can use this, Harlan lab blocks, or a low protein dog food.

Then I add a suebees mix, also daily.

For veggies.. I give lettuce, a little pepper, and a tiny piece of whatever the piggers are having. They can pretty much eat anything, as long as it is small (make sure you read the forbidden foods list).

9) What bedding do you use? Could I use fleece?
Yup; I use fleece. Expect some holes eventually, but it is still the best.

This is the cage I want to save up and get them..is that okay?

(broken link removed)
Best cage ever! If you get babies or females, you will have to baby-proof with hardware cloth (not too hard), but it is amazingly awesome.

Char-x

Cavy Slave
Yay; I think you would be a great rattie mom!

Aw thank you!:D

For safty sake you should always q-tine any new animals you bring into the home. That would include ratties. Place them in a separate room for 2-3weeks and have them checked over by a vet. If they are ok after that, it is safe to have in the same area as the piggers.

My ratties are in the hallway outside of my room and they don't seem to scare the pigs in the slightest.

Thanks I will definatly do this, after the check up and qurantine I will try them in my room - the space thats actually left haha and see how it goes. If they make too much noise in the night I will just move them back to the spare room.

I was thinking about having them on the landing but my dogs have to go past there everyday for "bedtime" and I have a Jack Russell and Rott x Alsation who might scare them abit.

2 rats is fine. Basically.. 2+ I am not quite sure if more is better. I think I would recommend a first time rat owner to stick with two.
Thats good then, I wanted to devote my time to taming them and of course I still need the time for the piggies too, so works best with two.

I am a bit confused. Do you mean come out of their cage with you to get the pigs food? That would be great! Rats need at least an hour of cuddle time with you daily. Shirts with the front pockets work great for socializing at first; they like to snuggle in there.

Sorry just read it back, it makes no sense what so ever haha I meant when I go to the Pet Shop and get their food will they be okay to travel along with us, since pets are allowed in the shop? This would of course be when they are completely tame. I have hoodies with front pockets so they could go in their.

Yup. My boys both love to sit on my shoulder and groom my hair.

Aww reading things like this makes me want to get them right away haha My piggies are all tame and loving but they would rather be petted in their cage and aren't a fan of being picked up for more than ten minutes which is why I think rats would be great!

They are classified as exotic. My vet goes based on weight for a checkup- so it would actually be cheaper than the piggers. Surgeries, etc.. would all be higher prices. You would have to check with your vet on that. I always make sure I have a $500+ vet fund saved up. Just in case.

Hopefully my vet wouldnt charge as much then, I might ask him next time I see him though just to make sure. He is pretty good though, always keeps prices down with us. Afterall I think the diabetic pig has kept him in business :rolleyes:

Either way. Bonded adults are great, and babies are great.
Think I will go for adults then that are tamed if I can so I dont have to modify the cage at all.

I feed Oxbow Regal Rat. You can use this, Harlan lab blocks, or a low protein dog food.

The low-protein dog food sounds the easiest option for me, as no where around here does Oxbow, might have a look around for Harlan lab blocks aswell though. Is Suebees mix the one on Rats Rule? Thats looks complicated to make up :eek: !

Best cage ever! If you get babies or females, you will have to baby-proof with hardware cloth (not too hard), but it is amazingly awesome.

Glad its a good cage, I've just got a "job" for £10 a week to get some money saved for it.

Thanks for you're reply, really insightfull and helpfull!

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Sorry just read it back, it makes no sense what so ever haha I meant when I go to the Pet Shop and get their food will they be okay to travel along with us, since pets are allowed in the shop? This would of course be when they are completely tame. I have hoodies with front pockets so they could go in their.

If they don't sell pets- I would say it would be alright. I take my boys to the feedstore, hardware store, Party store.. lol

Aww reading things like this makes me want to get them right away haha My piggies are all tame and loving but they would rather be petted in their cage and aren't a fan of being picked up for more than ten minutes which is why I think rats would be great!

Yeah, rats are SO much different from piggies. Piggers are great, but rats are just so much more social. They are truly like miniature dogs.

Is Suebees mix the one on Rats Rule? Thats looks complicated to make up !

Yup. I didn't use everything that it called for.. I think I used 3 types of cereals, dried fruit, soy nuts (unsalted), sunflower seeds (small bag), and a few other things.. I believe they like the puffed rice the best.

Love4Piggers

Cavy Slave
I just replied to this same post over on RatsRule, lol.

And Wicked is right, they really are like little dogs, it's the only way to describe it. When I get up in the morning and come over to check my e-mail, (their cage is right next to my computer,) they run up to the corner next to where I sit, all happy and waiting to be greeted by me! Then they do little jumps (almost like popcorns) and run around the cage, then come back for more attention. I open the cage and Gandalf is almost always the first to come out. He has a fascination with my face and hair, and he likes to inspect my whole face and doesn't like my glasses being in his way, so he usually knocks them off my face, LOL! They absolutely love and crave any attention they can get from me, it really is wonderful. They make my day sometimes, when I'm struggling. I've only had my ratties for 2 1/2 months, and I'm already suffering from GGMR (Gotta Get More Rats) Syndrome. lol

I<3MyBabies

Cavy Slave
Yeah Char --

For rats, lots of their illnesses are airborne. So, I wouldn't recommend taking them along to so, PetSmart. They have other rats who are probably sick and its a risk to your babies.

But, say you want to go to the bookstore, or any where that doesn't have rats for sale :) you're safe! And they love it.

Char-x

Cavy Slave
If they don't sell pets- I would say it would be alright. I take my boys to the feedstore, hardware store, Party store.. lol

Yup. I didn't use everything that it called for.. I think I used 3 types of cereals, dried fruit, soy nuts (unsalted), sunflower seeds (small bag), and a few other things.. I believe they like the puffed rice the best.

Ah they do sell Rats, I was unsure about that...if I get them a leash they could maybe come with me and we will stay inside and send my mum in lol ;)

Love4Piggers - Aw they sound great, did you get them as adults or babies? Thanks for the reply over on the rats board by the way - was very insightfull!

Yeah Char --

For rats, lots of their illnesses are airborne. So, I wouldn't recommend taking them along to so, PetSmart. They have other rats who are probably sick and its a risk to your babies.

But, say you want to go to the bookstore, or any where that doesn't have rats for sale :) you're safe! And they love it.

I'm sure I can find many more places for them to visit once they have gotten used to me. I might get them a leash (just so they cant jump and get away) and they can come to a carboot sale with me as I've never seen any animal apart from dogs over there.

It will still be a while until I get them though and I think it will only be two I'm getting now because when i mentioned the need for prehaps a third she said defiantly not and shes still "thinking about it", but I think it will be a yes because she was going to let me have a bearded dragon a few months back until I said it wouldnt be a good idea right now since they need to be handled during school hours while its warmer. I did overhear her saying to someone about the dragon aswell "how can I say no when she takes such good care of the pigs" :p

Rattie Mom

Cavy Slave
I'm glad to hear you are doing your homework before getting ratties. :) It sure sounds like you'll be a good mom. I just have a few things to add.

I would keep your Jack Russell as far away from your rats as possible. It's in their blood to kill rodents. Rats and Squirrels especially.

We bring our rats out on our bed and have a play area on our headboard and accompanying cupboard. We shut the cat our of the room, so there is no chance of anything happening to the rats. Once you feel you have litter trained your ratties, you can have a litter box handy while they are out. You will find they will run off to use the "loo" when they have to go, and not just go when they feel like it, like the piggies.

I had rats first, then piggies. I absolutely adore both...but rats are definitely more interactive, smart and people friendly.

I've only had my piggies for a couple of months, so I can't compare vet costs etc. But rats are not cheap pets. They are prone to URI (though only the species specific kind, so not contagious to pigs), tumors etc.

My recommendation would be to adopt two-three rescue ratties. Three would be more ideal in my opinion, in the event anything should happen to one. That way, the other two have each other. Of course adults are less adoptable, and it would be great if you could adopt them. however, keep in mind that ratties only live between 2-3 years. You'll suffer the heartbreak of losing them soon enough...you might want your first ones to be younger to save yourself the heartache so soon. Something else to consider, females are very prone to mammory tumors around the age of a year and a half and older (some even as young as 10 months). Unless you have a good exotic (yes rats are definitely exotic pets and need an exotic vet) vet that has lots of surgery experience, and can have them spayed (spaying females at age 4 months, reduces their likelihood of tumors by drastic amounts), you may want to consider getting males. The down side to males (unless you already get a bonded older pair) is they can go through a testosterone phase and sometimes one or the other might need to be neutered. This is not always the norm. I've had several groups of 4 males that were raise from babies and always got along great.

Baby ratties are certainly just the best! But it will take them a while to slow down to the cuddly stage. It's a great time for them to learn, get to know you and play with you....when they get older, they are so sweet and cuddly, and my heart is especially warmed by my witto old ratties.

I personally would not feed rats lettuce (perhaps butter lettus or the kinds with more nuturients "maybe). But it has no nutritional value. Rats are omnivores and enjoy their (cooked) meat and potatoes. Cooked sweet potatoes, cooked chicken or turkey, etc is also good for them in moderation. They do not go into stasis like bunnies and piggies, so a bit of fruit like banana, grapes, berries, melon (in moderation of course) is very appreciated.

Another website to check out is

(broken link removed)

The boards are closed down now...but there are still tons of useful articles and the old forums are still there. Lots of questions and answers can be found in those forums.

Oh, and don't forget to post pics of your "kids". :)

Char-x

Cavy Slave
I would keep your Jack Russell as far away from your rats as possible. It's in their blood to kill rodents. Rats and Squirrels especially.

Oh yeah he wouldnt be allowed anywhere near them. The only thing I was thinking of was housing them on the landing and I carry the Russell when I go to bed so he couldnt get near there cage, but I agree that it is in their blood..on a walk today he apparently nearly got a rabbit and he was on the lead *gulp*

We bring our rats out on our bed and have a play area on our headboard and accompanying cupboard. We shut the cat our of the room, so there is no chance of anything happening to the rats. Once you feel you have litter trained your ratties, you can have a litter box handy while they are out. You will find they will run off to use the "loo" when they have to go, and not just go when they feel like it, like the piggies.

Thats really good about them being litter train-able since when people have heard I am getting rats they just tell me they are disgusting (which of course they aren't) and that I will just get pee'd on because they can't controll their own bladder. There the same people who told me Guinea Pigs were boring though :sarcastic

I had rats first, then piggies. I absolutely adore both...but rats are definitely more interactive, smart and people friendly.

Yeah my pigs are so friendly and love it when I give them fuss and rub their bellies and chins but they really just dont like being held which is fair enough.Tallulah is the only one who I think secretly enjoys being picked up :]

I've only had my piggies for a couple of months, so I can't compare vet costs etc. But rats are not cheap pets. They are prone to URI (though only the species specific kind, so not contagious to pigs), tumors etc.

This is the one thing that worries me abit, since Tallulah does need some expensive treatment sometimes but apparently rats are along the lines of £70 - £80 for operations? Not sure, but that would be fine I think.

My recommendation would be to adopt two-three rescue ratties. Three would be more ideal in my opinion, in the event anything should happen to one.

Thats what I was trying to explain to my mum but she said "No it's two if any" but if the rescue have a group of three I will be able to talk her round. If they have a pair then I will just go with two.

keep in mind that ratties only live between 2-3 years. You'll suffer the heartbreak of losing them soon enough...you might want your first ones to be younger to save yourself the heartache so soon.

I am one to get very, very attached to animals it kills me when I lose them but I think if the rescue has a couple of friendly and tame male rats that are on the older side they will be better for me. I would like to see some adults live the rest of their days in a home rather than a rescue so that thought would what would make the heartbreak better.

The down side to males (unless you already get a bonded older pair) is they can go through a testosterone phase and sometimes one or the other might need to be neutered. This is not always the norm. I've had several groups of 4 males that were raise from babies and always got along great.

I definatly think I will be getting males so I will keep an eye out for this, do they just become more territorial? Do they get aggressive towards humans during that period? Hopefully if I get adults they would have passed or are unlikely to go through it but if I get babies I will get one neutered when/if need be.

I personally would not feed rats lettuce (perhaps butter lettus or the kinds with more nuturients "maybe). But it has no nutritional value. Rats are omnivores and enjoy their (cooked) meat and potatoes. Cooked sweet potatoes, cooked chicken or turkey, etc is also good for them in moderation. They do not go into stasis like bunnies and piggies, so a bit of fruit like banana, grapes, berries, melon (in moderation of course) is very appreciated.

I don't really have any lettuce apart from Romaine for the pigs so I will just leave it out. As for cooked meat, we don't really buy poultry since I'm a veggie and my mum likes the Quorn stuff better...if we brought a single breast of chicken though would that be okay? How oftern do they eat meat and potatoes? I've been told fruit for about once a week?

Another website to check out is

(broken link removed)

The boards are closed down now...but there are still tons of useful articles and the old forums are still there. Lots of questions and answers can be found in those forums.

Oh, and don't forget to post pics of your "kids". :)

Thank you!! I will check it out and read through the information. I won't be getting the rats for a while (could be a couple of months if not more) but I wil definatly post pics when I doo!

Char-x

Cavy Slave
I went to Pets at Home today to see how I was with rats - I asked to hold one etc. I held a female and as soon as she got it out it was investigating everything so I asked "this is a female isn't it?" and I was right lol! My mum - who before really didn't like rats and was thinking about it, has warmed to them and said the girl today was really sweet and friendly. :] They seem like lovely animals!

I<3MyBabies

Cavy Slave
And Char, they will become seriously attached to you. They will beg to come out when you walk by ( if they are awake LoL ) and will crave your attention. Its the best when you say, "Morning ratties, time to play!" And they come running to the door...or, they stretch and yawn and say, "Ok I'm coming, let me wake up!"

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.