Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Salt box tunnel

Dutch

Cavy Slave
Saltbox.jpg

Nowadays, everything cylindrical that I see is potentially a piggy tunnel! This is a regular box of Morton salt. I cut off both ends, pulled the paper label off, and dusted the inside with a paper towel. Presto! Perfect size tunnel. It is more durable than other paper tubes. Plus it is big enough to crawl through, with room to spare (and use as a hidey.)

Dutch

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Awesome, my piggys would never fit in there though lol one of my boys, Chewie was trouble fitting in 4" PVC pipe, he doesnt get stuck for say but he has to wiggle out.

Dutch

Cavy Slave
Well, mine are babies still. But they are growing REALLY fast. I don't know if they will fit in there so easily for much longer.

The funny thing is that they fight over. (There is another store bought hidey in there, but they like the salt box better.) When one is in the tunnel, the other one will walk up to the back of it and try to push the other one thought. So there is one pig's head sticking out one end, and the other pig's butt sticking out the other end. Looks like an extra long, skinny pig. lol

I am waiting to empty out another salt box so I can make another!

Dutch

alerz

Cavy Slave
Interesting that I'm down to the very bottom of my Morton salt. I'll have to try this out and see if my piggies can fit through. Thanks!

pignewton

Cavy Slave
Use a round oatmeal box when they outgrow the salt one.

Dutch

Cavy Slave
Use a round oatmeal box when they outgrow the salt one.

(gasp!) Also brilliant! I buy those crystal wedding oats all the time.

Funny thing happened last night. I heard the pigs squabbling and didn't pay them much mind. They do that from time to time. A few minutes later, I got up to check on them and I could only find ONE! I started to panic and think maybe the squabble had been one of them escaping our falling out of the cage somehow. So I started looking around on the floor and stuff.

Then I picked up the salt box and it was twice as heavy as it should have been. The squabble had been them squeezing in there together. They were packed in like sardines! I tipped the tube and one of them slid out and there was the other, still in there. I breathed a sigh of relief, of course, but it was really funny!

Dutch

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
That is awesome!!!

DUTCH-

I think that is a great idea!!!

I will be sure to give it a try!

Thanks! :)

fourboys4now

Cavy Slave
We found a great item to use as tunnels. At our local Lowe's we found these 9 foot long pvc pipes. They're wide enough for even my biggest boy to get thru. They have small holes evenly spaced down the length. I had the guy working there cut it into 3, 3 foot sections for free. I put them down during floortime and they are a big hit. Sometimes 3 will run thru in a little train. All you hear is the click clack of their nails walking thru. With tax the whole tube cost under $8.

Dutch

Cavy Slave
We found a great item to use as tunnels. At our local Lowe's we found these 9 foot long pvc pipes. .

Sounds neat! Do you know what they were originally made for?

Dutch

ali's_pigs123

Cavy Slave
That is a great idea!

I will have to try it!:)

fourboys4now

Cavy Slave
I just asked my husband what the pvc tubes would have been used for, he guessed maybe for a field line. There were different ones, some were more narrow, but the one I chose was the widest and I liked that it had the little holes drilled going down the length, that way when they sit in the tube, I know they can get air in there. The first night I put it down, my oldest boy went zooming thru it once, turned around and went thru the other way, then back again. The others were not far behind. It reminds me of kids playing at recess.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.