Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rats and Guinea pigs

R

Rattylover

Rats and Guinea pigs

I've got 13 rats and am considering a guinea pig. Can the two species get along or do they have to be kept completely separately?
Also, are there concerns about cross species diseases?

Any help is great, I'm new to guinea pigs.

Attachments

133.jpg 136.jpg
J

janiexo

why?

i douby its a good idea or if its safe at all. why in the world would u keep them together?

R

Rattylover

why?

Just curious, it's actually my housemate who wants them, and I keep rats. If they can't get along together, she can't house the gp in the rat room because the rats will be all over and in the gp cage.
I don't want to stress either animals.
Do gp's get Myco?
Wouldn't want to transfer diseases either.

Attachments

DSC_0533.jpg DSC_0532.jpg DSC_0531.jpg DSC_0525.jpg DSC_0540.jpg DSC_0549.jpg 1.JPG
S

semcavylover

housing...

I believe the rats would be more apt to bite the guinea pig, just because of their curiosity, which would make housing them together not a great idea. Also the two species need different nutrients, and it would be hard to keep an eye on how they are eating if they live together. I am not sure if there are any diseases that could be transferred, but anything is possible.

I myself have three rescued rats, but they never mingle with the guinea pigs.

Attachments

harvey.jpg
C

cavy crazy

not sure

I have two rats and three gp's, and although they dont live together, they get along. When there is a scuffle, its the gp that started it. I think supervised visits are ok, but only if the personality of your gp is a nice and gentle one

2steps

Re: not sure

I have guinea pigs and rats. I wouldn't keep them together (different nutrional requirements, possiblitie of injury....) but when my rats are out (supervised) they climb the pigs cage and it's never been a problem, infact the pigs normally back away after having a sniff of the rat. The rats sometimes poke there heads through the bars but have never gone into the cage. Personally I think they'd get on ok but alway supervised :)

H

hezzy1972

Re: Rats and Guinea pigs

i have a guinea pig and a rat and i introduced them to each other. they get along fine but i wouldnt put them together in the same living quarters. sometimes the guinea pig gets jumpy and scared and my guinea pig in particular likes to nibble on the rats tail. she seems to think its something to snack on lol.:p

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.