Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

double check my math (ivermectin post)

cinnyminny

Cavy Slave
I'm planning on giving my piggie her first dose of ivermectin. Ever since I got her she has been itching and biting more than I thought was usual. So after reading up on how easy it is to give them ivermectin, I decided to order it and give it a shot. Now that everything is here and I've measured her, I need help figuring out how much to give her. I have Equimectrin that is 1.87% ivermectin horse paste. I read on GL to mix one dose for 250 lbs with 22.00 cc of water (I'm going to use water instead of the other substitutes because its what I have available). She weighs 430 grams. I went to the dosing calculator to see how much I should give a pig her weight, but I'm confused on which oral treatment in the calculator is the one I have. So if someone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it!

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
I hope someone who knows about that particular ivermectin treatment comes along soon to help you out with that.

I don't have any experience with the paste. I'm only familiar with using the Iver-On Pour-On. It seems to be the most simple to use, and I've never had a problem with it.

Just keep checking in until someone can help you.

Feylin

Cavy Slave
There was a link on the Guinea Lynx medical forums recently about this exact treatment. I can't get to Guinea Lynx (blocked by the filter at work) but if you go search for Ivermectin Horse Paste i think you'll find it.

There was a lot of excelent information there on how to calculate dosages.

I bought the same stuff, but eventually gave up and went to the vet- I just wasn't sure if I was doing it right and I didn't want to hurt my boys.

cinnyminny

Cavy Slave
yeah, I've read and re-read the GL information on the oral treatment many times. I know that it says if you use the 1.87% horse paste that 1.00 cc of solution (mixed with water) will have no more than 1 mg/ml of ivermectin, and according to the calculator available on GL that would be the .1% oral solution (1 mg/ml). I feel like I'm right in what I'm reading and how I'm comprehending it. I just wanted to make sure that I'm going to give her the correct amount and I was hoping someone who has actually used the horse paste could give me some insight.

pignewton

Cavy Slave
Jus a teensy, teensy bit more than .08 cc is the correct dose for a pig that size. I would just give the .08 to be sure of not giving too strong of a dose.

aaronmeister

Cavy Slave
That is correct and on par from the doses that I gave me cavies.

Just make sure that you dose at least every week for three weeks. Follow the instructions, keep an eye on your babies and everything should be good to go.

I was able to tell that my guinea pigs were free from mites after the fur mites stopped appearing on my arm when I held my Dwight.

cinnyminny

Cavy Slave
I washed all her bedding (fleece + towels) as a precaution right as I gave her the treatment. Will I have to wash those again the next time I dose her?

pignewton

Cavy Slave
There seems to be some debate as to whether or not the bedding needs washing at all. Some people say that the mites cannot survive without actually being on the host animal so why bother. Maybe someone will come along with a definite, educated answer to this.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.