Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage size

X_Cavy_Crazy_X

Cavy Slave
Okay I ordered my cubes yesterday and so, for now, I am rearanging my furniture some so that I can give the cage as much room as possible, and so it is in a good area. I am planning on getting two sows. Now my question is, is a 3x3 cage just as good as a 2x4? a 3x3 would just fit better in my room. If I do a 2x4 it will still fit, but I will have to move some rather heavy furniture around in order to get that done well. :expressio

amazon819

Cavy Slave
well... a 2x4 is 8 square feet and a 3x3 is 9, so over all it's more space. As long as they have room to run, I don't see how it could be worse.

alerz

Cavy Slave
I agree; I think a 3x3 is perfectly fine. I wish I had the space for something that wide since I'm sure the pigs would love the openness of it.

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
I think a 3x3 is a great idea! I would love to have a 3x wide grid cage. Just remember that 3x3 is pretty wide and it may be a little more difficult to reach the back corners of the cage. I would make it strong enough to pull away from the wall for cleaning.

Good luck and happy building!

X_Cavy_Crazy_X

Cavy Slave
Well the reason I didnt want to do a 2x4 is because it would leave no room for me to move around the cage. (For cleaning, pig retreiving, etc.) the 3x3 gives me that room even though it extends out a little more.

And since it sounds like a 3x3 is a good size for two cavies that'll be it! Thanks for your help everyone!

TX_2_Pigs

Cavy Slave
well... a 2x4 is 8 square feet and a 3x3 is 9, so over all it's more space. As long as they have room to run, I don't see how it could be worse.

2x4 is 8 grids not 8 square feet. Each grid is 14 inches therefore each grid is about 1.3 square feet. 2x4 is 10.8 sq ft and 3x3 is 12.25 sq ft. I just wanted to clarify.

3 grids wide is fine. I am only 5 ft and I don't really have much of a problem reaching all the way across although I do have to lean on the side to do it and it does flex some. And I do pull it out for the weekly cleaning so I can walk around it. But for daily tidying, I just lean across.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.