Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Breeding?

C

Curious

Breeding?

Well i was thinking of breeding my guinea pigs but I need to have a couple questions answered first. They're only getting pregnant the one time and I already have a bunch of people that want to take the babies home so that problem is taken care of.

Anywho
I was wondering if I have two females can they be left in the cage at the same time if they're both pregnant or if only one of them is pregnant?

The other question is, if the babies are all females and I decide to leave them in the cage with their mother after they're a month or so can I just keep them in the same cage as the mother or will they eventually have to be seperated and if so why?
ANyway any comments and suggestions would be much appreciated. Thak you

SuperCavyLover

Cavy Slave
Re: Breeding?

I, for one, don't see a problem with you breeding your cavies since they will go to homes. Make sure they are at least 5 months old before they are bred. Teresa may think differently on this subject, so let's see what she says.

Attachments

1.jpg 100_3379.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 5.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 6.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 1.jpg
L

Laura0626

Hi,
There are many unwanted Guinea Pigs in the world, by
breeding you're just adding to that number. There are also a
number of dangers to your sow. Do you want to lose your
sow because it would be fun to have babies? What if your
friends don't make good homes? Do you know the genetic
backround of your sow and boar? You could easily end up
with lethals, who have a very little chance of survival at all.
If they do survive they usually are all white, have yellow,
crooked teeth and are blind, deaf, or both. Some are even
born without eyes. If you and your friends want a Guinea
Pig, go to a shelter or rescue. Check out your local
newspaper for classified adds selling Guinea Pigs. If you really
want babies rescue a pregnant sow. But always remember
the risks you're taking by breeding/taking in a pregnant sow.
There can always be birth complications, sometimes
resulting in the death of the mother and babies.

www.cavyspirit.com/breeding.htm

Please reconsider.

Laura, Pumpkin, and Nikki

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave

Of course I feel differently. Feel free to post your zip code and I'll find some guinea pigs in need of homes for you. Or email me privately with it.

This is [/b] NOT the forum to discuss the PROS of breeding. Take it to another forum. Guinea Lynx, Cavy Madness (links at the top of this forum) or Cavies Galore ((broken link removed) or ACME ((broken link removed) For a specific forum on breeding, see: (broken link removed)

C

calico23

Breeding?

i see no problem w/ it not evry place has an overpopulation problem nor shelters with guinea pigs. u will need to seperate the males and about 3 weeks cuz at that time they can try and make their own mother pregnant again and that is dagerous u wil lneed to be carfull in case their are complictions but they generally go smoothly. good luck!

A

Angelicum

BREEDING

I don't see a problem for that, however please make it sure that their future homes will be as caring and loving as you (if you do) and pls. do consider the overpopulation, think twice. If you breed only for petting causes (correct my langguage uses in any case) pls. consider an agreement to who ever Homes your cavy may belong in the future a neutering surgery if you don't want this idea don't breed, you already have added a population and if you'll not be considering a neuter surgery you're just letting others to produce more.
"ALWAYS DO SEPERATE BOARS WHEN THEY ARE ONE AND A HALF TO TWO WEEKS OF AGE"

Attachments

guinea 016.jpg guinea 013.jpg

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: BREEDING

3 weeks at the earliest is the time to separate boars. Runts and special needs pigs can go to 4 weeks.

C

cavy

I don't think its a good idea to breed guineapigs.

There are loads of guineapigs that need adopted,
why make more homeless, poor souls? Why must you breed them? The last time i saw a litter of guineapigs i felt like crying my eyes out, One was only born with two legs, one with 6 legs, one blind, two death!
Only 2 survived, and they are very weak still.

Adoption is the key to happy piggies,

Breeding could kill your sow, please recconsider.

S

semcavylover

BREEDING IS A BAD IDEA

There are always guinea pigs to adopt or "buy" from a pet store. Breeding adds to the problem rescues are trying to solve. Even if you do have homes for the babies, what happens when they grow older and the owners do not think they are so cute. They go to the rescues or they are euthanized. Save a piggie that is already in this world looking for a home. I'm not a big fan of shipping but I do know there are rescues that ship their animals to new homes.
There are several risks to your sow and the babies. You may have to invest hundreds maybe even thousands of dollars into the birth, and care thereafter. Are you willing to take the risk? If you go through with this make sure you have one heck of a guinea pig emergency vet on hand.

Attachments

Pic0014_0.jpg Pic0004.jpg
C

cavy crazy

NO

Remember that if you buy a pig, a shelter pig dies!!!!!!!!!!

I work at a pet store which sells pigs, but not often. They get vet care and are sexed by the vets, and they are in large cages, but I DONT SUPPORT IT!!!!! I work in the pet buisnnes to eduacte ignorant people before they buy!! I always tell them to go the spca first!!! Got to espca.com to see the pigs our spca has up for adoption!!!

Attachments

DSCI0076.jpg
H

hezzy1972

my guinea pig has had babies and the male should be separated cause it will just make more babies. the females can stay together for as long as they live. i had my mommy and female babies together the whole time till they died. the male babies however, had to be taken out after they are weaned cause they will mate with the mother and she will have more babies. it happened to me but on the bright side, i kept all my babies and took the best of care of all of them till they died.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.