Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ramps????

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
I am building my second level this weekend and I was wondering if the ramp should have a guard on it or not?

I have seen many ramps some with and some without side guards on them. My question is TO BE SAFE, do they need to have a guard rail on their ramps?

LucyJane

Cavy Slave
I would say yes, personally, especially if it is going up a full level. There was a thread a little while ago about a poor piggie who fell off a ramp, and it sounded like he was seriously hurt. (ouch!) Better safe than sorry, in my opinion.

And I know people say that piggies are coordinated enough not to fall, but I also have seen my boys shove eachother down their ramp in a wheeking rush for the veggies! So accidents do happen.

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
Thank you LucyJane! That is what I was thinking also. I just see so many ramps with no guard rails. It makes me worry about those guineas!

Moon00

Cavy Slave
I agree you should definitely put a side guard on the ramp just to be on the safe side and avoid accidents. I had seen a cage on here a few days ago with a pretty neat idea, instead of having a side guard it had a bent grid arched over the top of the ramp so together it made a tunnel.

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
I like that idea! Was it made from two bent grids? That is what I was thinking about doing!

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
Thanks I love your ramp!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Having a guard or rails on the ramp depends on different factors. It depends on what the ramp is made of, the steepness of it and how your pigs react to it.

When I had upper levels, I used ramps made from pvc pipe cut in half lengthwise. The sides came up a little on each side since it was half a circle. I also made them where they were not steep at all.

If you are making a ramp out of something like a plank of wood then it definately needs at least one side rail if it's attached to the side of the cage. If you are making a bent grid ramp then put the bend towards the inside and attach the flat portion to the outside of the cage. If you are making a ramp that will not attach or lean against the outside grids of the cage, then you'd need one with rails/guards on both sides unless you were using something like the pvc pipe idea.

crazychic

Cavy Slave
I personally think that the ramp should have a guard on it just in case of an accident. Guinea pigs are so small that if they do fall, it could be quite a drop! Making a guard is pretty simple. I used 1 grid which is under the ramp and just bended it upwards. It helps them from falling and supports the ramp. By using one grid, it makes for a gaurd that goes nearly all the way to the ground.

LouieH

Cavy Slave
We used a length of plastic gutter for ours. The stuff costs 60 cents a foot at Home Depot. To prepare it, I cut it to the proper length with a hacksaw, knocked off any sharp corners/edges with a piece of sandpaper, and poked holes in it in the proper places so I could attach it to the cage. Add a bit of fleece or what-have-you so the little guys can get some traction, and you're in business!

It's sturdy and very easy to clean. Best of all, it has built-in guards on the sides.

MapleOwl18

Cavy Slave
LouieH that's awesome idea, could you post a picture of it in the ramps pictures section of the site?

I want to try it :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.