Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Food bowls??

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Since I'm going to be adopting two guinea pigs, how many food bowls should I have? One? Or two? And I want bowls for the veggies to, so should I have one more, or two more for that as well? I want everything to be just right.

Last edited:

cavyinhawaii

Cavy Slave
My 3 are good and share their pellet bowl so I have only one bowl. They also just want me to lay their veggies in their cage so they can drag them everywhere. Some people do use plates for their veggies. Piggies personalities are so different its hard to tell what they are going to like.Deffinately look for a bowl that can't be tipped. Some are heavier in the bottom. Mine is square. Piggies love to dump pellets.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Okay, I'm looking at getting food bowls that hang on the wall of the cage, and I'll put bricks under the bowls too. I'm going to get four bowls to be safe, and try seeing if they will share, and if they won't, I'll just break out the extra bowls. Should I get the small, medium, or large? Small is 3-1/2" in diameter, the medium is 4-1/2" in diameter, and the large is 5-1/2" in diameter.

clotho

Cavy Slave
I bought food bowls here in Canada at the dollar store for a buck each. These bowls are round, but wider at the bottom than at the top so the piggies can't tip them. They work great and the price is right.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Does the size of the bowl matter?

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
I would suggest 2 bowls.

If they can be territorial about food, you should definetly get two.

Personally, I would go the extra mile, just in case.

You don't want to go home and realize that they have been fighting all day because of the one bowl of food.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I wouldn't! I know which ones I get so I guess I should ask if I should have seperate bowls for them before hand.

chexxy

Cavy Slave
Yes, definatly 2 bowls. Veggies, it depends. Mine share a paper plate. I feed one big saldad with lettuce and the other veggies in small pieces chopped up and sprinkled over. Otherwise Chexgoes to Chesters plate and eats his favorite veggie, and vice versa so I end up with Chhester getting to much cabbage, Chex getting 2 baby carrots and so on. But, it depends on the pigs.

QuackXP

Cavy Slave
My 3 are good and share their pellet bowl so I have only one bowl. They also just want me to lay their veggies in their cage so they can drag them everywhere. Some people do use plates for their veggies. Piggies personalities are so different its hard to tell what they are going to like.Deffinately look for a bowl that can't be tipped. Some are heavier in the bottom. Mine is square. Piggies love to dump pellets.

I use one large bowl and set it where both piggies can get to it easily at one time. I tried useing a plate for veggies but they just drag them to where ever they feel like eating so I dont bother anymore.

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I use 2 food bowls, I just got cheap cat bowls from walmart and they work well, they were like $1.00 each. And for veggies I just use a plate or a cereal bowl, they veggies ushally get drug everytwhere though.

newbie meggie

Cavy Slave
I use a small cat bowl which is really good.
and for veggies i use a plate :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.