Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

4H Proud New Piggie-to-be Parents

4H_Piggies

Cavy Slave
Hello to all and thanks for having such an informative site available!

I have an 8 year old son who is in his first year cavy project with 4H. Both of us knew nothing about cavies prior to September and after 4 months of research we are ready to pick up our piggies in Feb at a show. OK ~ I have just fallen in love with these little creatures and have decided to get one for myself; so we will have 2. We built the C&C cage yesterday and have everything else purchased that we will need with the exception of a cozy/cuddle bag.

My son would like to make his own cuddle bags for his 4H sewing project but we cannot find instructions on how to make one. He needs the approximate dimensions and some simple instructions. Can anyone please post them here w/ pics if you have them or please email to me. I think it would be fun for the kids to make one during the monthly meeting :cheerful:

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Congratulations on making your C&C!

Please look into adopting rather than purchasing from 4-H, breeding is just continuing the cycle of overpopulation. Check out Petfinder.com: Adopt a pet and help an animal shelter rescue a puppy or kitten. for pigs in your area.

Also, showing in general is horrible for the pigs. It causes them unnecessary stress and confines them to little cage which is horrible. Not to mention all the diseases that could possibly be spread to them. I know there is a page about showing, but I cannot seem to find it. Here is a thread where this was previously discussed- https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/kitchen/23134-showing.html?highlight=show

babybunny

Cavy Slave
Hi there and welcome. You've found the best place for cavy information. I too, was going to have my son join 4H with a specific interest in cavies. However, after all the information I read here, I realized how it would just add to the overpopulation and misinformation on these precious animals. The sight of the stressful and improper conditions that the cavies were kept in at the fair also showed me that it wasn't the best thing for me or my son to participate in. (The little girl selling off her "winners" for snake food price was dismaying as well :( .)

I hope you reconsider, and perhaps choose to look into adoption. There are many cavies in need of good homes. :)

4H_Piggies

Cavy Slave
Maybe my post was misunderstood - we are picking the pigs up from a show and they will not be left at shows in little tiny cages. We will be doing 4H showmanship with them which means the pig will travel with us to the show in the morning, he will complete his showmanship and we will go home with the pig a couple hours later-it will not stay there in a cage. 4H showmanship is not the same as a regular show and in our area the pigs do not stay at the fair.

The leader of the cavy project has required the kids in the group to do all their research, including having contacted a local vet, locating a 24 hour vet that is capable of meeting cavy needs, building the appropriate size C&C cage (which she must inspect before we can get the pigs), creating a first aid kit and being able to explain how and when to use the items in the kit, prepare a listing of the vitamin C content in fresh veggies (% of vitamin C) vs dried/frozen and store bought treats, comparison of bedding absorbancy (hands on experiment which included discussion of cedar and pine no nos), practicing cleaning cages with her bunny and pig. In addition once each child has their pig then they have a week to get it into the vet for its first check up and for mandatory instruction on nail trimming. They have had to establish a free roam area that is pig-proof safe in which they were to select a location, identify possible hazards(blocking off areas under beds with pillows, etc), remove the hazards or start again with selecting a different free roam area. I think she had done a wonderful job preparing my son and has taught them that you must go the research information first because you are actually expanding your family by adding 2 new members and that you will need to prepare as though you were bringing a new baby into the home.

Does anyone have instructions on how to make the cozy cuddle bags - looking for the dimensions because we bought some Pokemon fleece and my son wants to make his own.

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
I don't know how to make them but if you do a search (up at the top of the page) I know they have a step by step for the cuddle cups. They might have one for the sleep sacks as well!

I am glad you did all of your research and that your son has a great teacher. Just be aware of all of the health issues there are when you get that many piggies in one area. Try to keep them from coming in direct contact with any other piggies. I know kids always want their piggies to play with their friends piggies. Good luck!

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
Go to the accesories section of the forum, at the top is an instruction thread to make cuddle cups and cozies.

Sorry but a group that has children doing all of the work for animals, and teaching to show and breed, and basically treat a living animal like an object is horrid to me. Where do people come up with thesse groups. For fun and group setting, my kids go to Cubs and Scouts, and make cub cars. They get handed a block of wood, and have to make a car out of it, they all race eachother and get trophies and ribbons, for best design and fastest car, not whose poor animal is cutest or whatever the criteria is.

4H_Piggies

Cavy Slave
I dont understand what is so horrid about a group (4 to be exact) of children that are learning (before they get their pig) how to properly care for it. They are not being taught to show and breeding is not allowed in our group. The 4H showmanship is a process in which the child inspects their pig for ear mite/tears, fur for mites, feet for bumblefoot, nails for proper length, teeth for proper alignment/overgrowth, nose for discharge, eyes for discharge/clouding, genitals for discharge/smell, etc. They basically are learning the physical signs of ailments. In addition their teacher has had them complete poster boards describing (written and in picture) of other signs of illness such as behavior changes that may indicate illness - which they must give a presentation on at the next general meeting to all members in the 4H group. She is teaching them that their selection (which must be a family process) is actually an addition of a new family member (none of our family members are treated as obects that I know of) , so my son will be caring for the pig with my guidance and assistance.

He is required to have a cuddle bag and towel at the meetings for the purpose of not intermingling the pigs - the parents are to be present to cuddle the pigs while the children are working on posters, etc. The link is the fourm only shows the cuddle cups, not the bags. So if anyone has instrcutions for the bags that would be great.

Yes, we do go to Cub Scouts as well and will be racing cars in Feb. We are well aware that that is the place/time for ribbons.

babybunny

Cavy Slave
The question is, where is the group getting the cavies? From a rescue? Or are these pigs they have breed within the 4H Project?

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
As far as general care, Its great that the leader is actually getting the correct information out there.

However, it still doesn't change the fact that bringing pigs into rooms with new people will stress them out. They are very skiddish creatures and frighten easily. It also is very unsafe to bring a pig into new environments where there could be new illness'. The other pigs could have something transferable, or another animals that was there on a previous occasion. I don't see how anyone would want to risk their pig for that.

If it is truly just about learning how to properly look for illness' - make an appointment with a vet. As guinea pigs ARE prey animals, they hide illness well, the main way to look for a sickness is to monitor their weight weekly.

I still don't understand about one thing- You say you are getting your pigs from a show. Are they coming from a breeder? I still strongly recommend that you adopt. Petfinder is a great source.

Edit:

For a cuddle sack- I cut 4 squares out (about 10x10in). Two of regular colored flecce and 2 with a pattern. Take the two solid colored pieces and put one on top of the other. Sew around 3 of the sides, leaving one side open. Do the same with the printed fleece set. Then take the solid part and put it inside the printed, so that the unsewed sides match up. Finally, sew around the edges (making sure you don't sew it shut) and you will have a cuddle sack that the pigs love and you can easily wash (you can pull the inside out).

Last edited:

4H_Piggies

Cavy Slave
Each member is responsible for getting their pigs from their place of choice. We have chosen to get our pigs from a lady whose pigs accidentally got prego - located about an hour from home. No, they were not bred by kids in 4H. The problem is that people who have pigs for adoption want "good homes" and many do not want to adopt to first time pig owners - this makes it very difficult to adopt when you are a first time pig owner with an 8 year old. They do not care how much time and effort you have put into research, learning and preparing the home because they have heard it time and time again, which makes perfect sense and I understand, respect and agree with their concerns. We are doing all of the footwork to make sure we are a "good home" for our new family members and absolutely can wait to love and spoil them.

I<3MyBabies

Cavy Slave
Alright guys, lets ease off the gas pedal for a sec.

You all, for the most part know me, and I have talked to ya'll in chat numerous times. I understand that we all have serious convictions about certain things (showing, breeding, ect.). However, as this is obviously a mom coming for some advice, lets give her a break, yeah?

She seems to be well researched, and if the pigs are only there for a few hours, not much harm can be done. Granted, it may not be a situation you are I would choose to put our pigs in because of possible illnesses, but lets not be so quick to pull out our soap boxes. :)

Now, I voulunteer for a cavy rescue in my area, and even they will bring a few pigs in C&C 1x2 cages for the afternoon ( during an adoption-a-thon or such things). In fact, I was just at a meet called PACC911 Adopt-a Thon this weekend with my group. They bring a few pigs out, they stay in small-ish cages for the afternoon, with of course fresh hay, water, and food.

To be honest, there could be much worse situations. If you think about it, we would have to tuck our piggies away in a small carrier to take them on vacation, and this is only a few short hours. She says they don't allow breeding and the teacher seems to be very thorough! SO, lets give this nice girl a break, and give her the help shes looking for :)

Just IMO, sometimes the soap box isn't necessary. We scare people away instead of leaving them wanting to come back for more learning. I'm not pointing fingers, just a suggestion.

4H_Piggies

Cavy Slave
We will be taking the pig to a vet the week that we get him for his checkup. I did forget to mention that we had to purchase a kitchen scale that weighs in grams - this is one of the required items and we will have to keep a weekly weight log along with a food log. The lady is not a breeder but will be attending a rabbit show locally that we can meet at.

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
The problem is that people who have pigs for adoption want "good homes" and many do not want to adopt to first time pig owners - this makes it very difficult to adopt when you are a first time pig owner with an 8 year old. They do not care how much time and effort you have put into research, learning and preparing the home because they have heard it time and time again, which makes perfect sense and I understand, respect and agree with their concerns.
Actually most places don't mind adopting out to first time pig owners with kids as long as they feel the pig will be taken care of by the parents, not the child. Although, there are very few rescues (if any at all) that will allow a guinea pig to go to a home where there is showing/4h involved.

Edit again:

Do you have any pictures of your cage? Also, what kind of diet are you planning on feeding?

4H_Piggies

Cavy Slave
Alright guys, lets ease off the gas pedal for a sec.

You all, for the most part know me, and I have talked to ya'll in chat numerous times. I understand that we all have serious convictions about certain things (showing, breeding, ect.). However, as this is obviously a mom coming for some advice, lets give her a break, yeah?

She seems to be well researched, and if the pigs are only there for a few hours, not much harm can be done. Granted, it may not be a situation you are I would choose to put our pigs in because of possible illnesses, but lets not be so quick to pull out our soap boxes. :)

Now, I voulunteer for a cavy rescue in my area, and even they will bring a few pigs in C&C 1x2 cages for the afternoon ( during an adoption-a-thon or such things). In fact, I was just at a meet called PACC911 Adopt-a Thon this weekend with my group. They bring a few pigs out, they stay in small-ish cages for the afternoon, with of course fresh hay, water, and food.

To be honest, there could be much worse situations. If you think about it, we would have to tuck our piggies away in a small carrier to take them on vacation, and this is only a few short hours. She says they don't allow breeding and the teacher seems to be very thorough! SO, lets give this nice girl a break, and give her the help shes looking for :)

Just IMO, sometimes the soap box isn't necessary. We scare people away instead of leaving them wanting to come back for more learning. I'm not pointing fingers, just a suggestion.

Thank you, I was beginning to feel uncomfortable here and dont like being on the defensive. At the very least, if I were getting the pig from a breeder then as least it would be 1 pig less that would be in the show environment and would have a new loving home. I just want to properly care for and love the little guy....thats all.

I<3MyBabies

Cavy Slave
I too am with WR!!

An adoption is by far, the BEST possible option.

We would all LOVE to help you find a pig to adopt! ( We HIGHLY recommend a pair of pigs since they are social and will be ten-fold happier).

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
At the very least, if I were getting the pig from a breeder then as least it would be 1 pig less that would be in the show environment and would have a new loving home

But then the breeder would have that much more space and encouragement to breed more. It's a vicious cycle.

I think it's great that you all are doing so much work to prepare for your pigs. I wish most people did half as much preparation; hell, some people don't do that much work before they have a human baby. So that's great - good for you.

I have to say, though, that while y'all's particular 4-H leader sounds remarkable and incredibly responsible, most 4-H programs are not like that. In the majority of 4-H programs, children either directly participate in the showing/breeding circuit, or they participate in the agricultural animal aspect and end up having the pets they've become attached to slaughtered.

It's pretty gruesome and teaches a fairly blatant disregard for the lives of non human animals.

There are so many other great organizations out there that will teach the same great care that your current 4-H leader is providing, but without supporting an organization which, on a whole, supports the abuse of animals. I'd encourage you to look into those.

I'd also strongly encourage you adopt, rather than purchasing from a breeder.

Welcome to the forum.

babybunny

Cavy Slave
I just want to say I wasn't on a soapbox or anything. I just know from the experience with the local 4H in town that they bred and had lots of incorrect information out there. The showing of the small animals was so bad that I had to call the regional office to file a complaint.

I think it's wonderful that 4H_Piggies is doing her research and sounds like she will provide a nice home for some piggies.

However..
At the very least, if I were getting the pig from a breeder then as least it would be 1 pig less that would be in the show environment and would have a new loving home.
Taking a pig from a breeder encourages them to breed again. You may give one (or two) a home but what happens to the next litter that replaces that which they sold? You also said you will be showing as well so the cycle for that pig continues. There are many GPs in rescues due to kids losing interest in them, accidental pregnancies, 4H leftovers, hoarders, the list goes on. I think if the group is really intent on the welfare and care of cavies, that perhaps they would advocate the adoption of GPs.

Edit: Written before saw Susan's.

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
I would also like to say, I was not trying to sound like I was on a soap box. My statement was more directed to the clubs that Susan was reffering to. You sound like a great piggie parent with all of the research you are doing, I just think you could do without the 4H club.

Welcome to the forum!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.