Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New C&C cage; behavior improvement...but chewing?!!

Roxanne

Cavy Slave
I just finished a C&C cage for my piggie. Before this cage she was in an old rabbit cage which resembled a C&C cage but had solid metal for the bottom instead of coroplast and was much smaller.
This new C&C cage is 2x3 grids and she LOVES it. I have only had her a week but when she was in the rabbit cage she would sit in her hidey house all day, only to come out, grab some grub, and scurry backwards back into the house. I never saw her and was sad I never got to watch her play. She also never made a peep.
I moved her into her new home today and the minute she was in it was like a whole new piggie! She has not stopped running around, playing and wheeking since I put her in! She is having a blast! :D I am SO happy!

BUT!
She chews!!
The sides of her old cage were 1/2 inch grids.
The new cage coated metal 1 inch grids and she has started to chew on them! I do not know why, she has plenty to play with and plenty to eat. She never chewed the old cage, this is a new thing.
I'm worried she will somehow chew off the coating and ingest it. Is this a silly worry? Does or did anyone elses piggies chew the sides of their cages? Is there any way to stop it or should I just let her go?

chexxy

Cavy Slave
Does she get unlimited hay? My boys chew when I dont give them hay.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.