Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Three males in one cage???

E

emsmith1072

Three males in one cage???

I have two male baby brothers right now in a 2 X 4 C&C. They are about 5 weeks old. I am in the position of adopting another male baby about 4 weeks old or it could possibly get a bad home. What do you experts think :) Could they grow up happy together, I mean 3 males happy together. No females around anywhere. Thanks, Emily

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: Three males in one cage???

Could definitely work. You may want to expand the cage with the babies get older--upper level or another grid long.

F

fcarr

2 plus 1

I have two males (one young, one 'middle aged') in a 2 x 5 CC cage with upper level. I have another (senior) male in a smaller CC cage that I've attached to the 2x5...it has ' see through' ability' so the single male can enjoy at least some semblance of compansionship.

I tried very hard to have all three get along, over a long period of time with 'supervised' joint play time. [I adopted them at different times]. But when a real fight broke out among them recently (which resulted in me getting a nasty bite as I separated them)..I've decided to go with the two cage approach.

I think that the young age of your guineas will make a huge difference and significantly increase the chances of success. Not having females around will also help. I would certainly try to have the three males together. Good luck!

SuperCavyLover

Cavy Slave
Re: 2 plus 1

Males, in my experience, are tricky to handle! Some males won't even get along with females, much less other males. And some will. I've seen more fights with males than I have with my females.

E

emsmith1072

Thanks for all the advice

Well come to find out my sister in law is more than happy to adopt the 3rd baby male I had recently mentioned. I explained to her that we need to look for another piggie to adopt to be his cage mate and also she wants to make a 2x4 C&C cage like mine, so that is great news. Once again thank you for all the input. Emily

T

tggdan3b

3 pigs in a cage

At one point I had 4 males in a cage together, two that were about 5 months old, and two who were about 1 month old (both children of one of the older ones). The children get along with both adults but the adults wouldn't get along together at all. What's more, the children would imitate the behavior and start fights once the adults did.

I separated them into two separate cages- first the one adult alone and the other 3 together, but the other male seemed lonely, so I split them 2 and 2 and they semm to all get along great.

T

Tiffcavylover

Re: 3 pigs in a cage

Hey!

I had to reply to this one. I have the same problem as well. I started off with Rusty and Samantha who are male and female. Anyway, when I first put them together, they got along just fine. As soon as Samantha got pregnant and had her babied, Rusty turned real mean and jealous. He couldn't even get along with Samantha anymore and that's when I separated them. Now Rusty is in his own cage and Samantha is in her own cage and the two babies left from her last litter of pups are male and they share a cage and get along just fine. So it's better for the males to be brothers or to have grown up together in order for them to get along. I also read in my owners guide how male guinea pigs do not get along at all unless they grow up together.:)

A

Abbylover

And brothers fall out too

as I have found out to my cost. I have two baby Rex's 8 months old now, and they were fine together until last week, major fight which resulted in one have two nasty bites. I tried housing them in a even larger environment, and they then fought over who would have what sleeping area, so reluctantly separated them. I also had two other brothers who fought after only 2 weeks, and a pair who lived quite happily together for 5 yrs, then one became ill and they fell out.

I think at the end of the day it boils down to personalities and dominance issues. It is not lack of space either they have some 12 feet each.

Sadly I now house 5 lone boars, and two younger brothers who for the moment are getting along.

T

tggdan3b

Personality

It all comes down to personality. It's a dominance thing- each boar wants to be the alpha male.

One of my little guys- butters, seems unique in that he DOESN'T want to be the alpha male. He's content to let everyone else chitter their teeth at him and he calmly walks away- and he's NEVER in any fights. This guy can get along with all the other males (and yes, we're sure he IS a male).

The other 3 males do not get along if they can touch each other. (IE- they will be happy and purring at each other if there is a grid separating them.) Thus I've kept one of my males, Spaz, with Butters, and put the other two males, Gizmo and Scratch, in a cage with a grid separating them (man I love the CC cages) and they get along fine- and don't seem to get too lonely either.

-Dan III

H

hezzy1972

Re: Three males in one cage???

three males in one cage should be just fine. i had two male brothers in a cage together their whole lives and they got along swimmingly. however, the father was way too horny(sorry to use that term) but its true and he wanted to mate with the males, the females and even my chinchillas so i had to separate him from the others but maybe hes just a isolated case. if yours arent like that lol, then by all means, they will be fine. :p

Attachments

eddy pig.jpg benny pig.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343582050.158148.jpg 582194_415599891791102_100000232843862_1507701_1610081194_n.jpg IMG_4364.jpg IMG_5559.jpg IMG_5621.jpg IMG_5570.jpg IMG_5418.jpg IMG_5271.jpg IMG_5112.jpg IMG_4566.jpg IMG_4555.jpg
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.