Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

question if anyone can answer?!?!

jerseygirl

Cavy Slave
I've just adopted my first guinea pig about a month ago and have been doing a lot of research on the C&C cages. I am actually going tonight to purchase one. But I am worried that my little piggie is going to somehow jump out or climb and fall or something. Can anyone help me with this. Im still a new cavy mommy and could use as much info as possible.
Thanks

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs aren't really jumpers. But if you have a small baby, be sure to make the coroplast sides high. Baby piggies can fit through the grids, or even get stuck in them.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
It's very rare for pigs to climb or jump out of C&C cages although it has happened. I had a baby boar once that climbed up the corner and out the cage or he'd climb up to the second level and do a mad dash and almost literally fly out the cage. After that, his second story was taken down and then his main level got a lid.

Grids are approximately 14" square. For young pigs, the cage will need baby proofed. Either higher coroplast walls or cardboard behind the existing walls to provide a higher barrier. Or even double grid the cage with lower coroplast walls. Safety must be the first priority when building a cage. Upper levels need to have grid walls so pigs don't jump or fall off. Ramps must be stable.

You may want to read the "about cages" forum and the "cage safety" forums before building your new cage.

Also if you have just the one guinea pig, consider adopting him/her a buddy because they do much better in pairs as they are social creatures.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.