Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cavy Cozy in place of a hidebox?

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
Hello all.
I bought one of those "Snack Shack" things when out accessorizing my foster cages, and only recently learned that it's bad for pigs. Before my new fosters arrive I'd like to swap it out, however, I am having some money-related issues and don't think I can afford a new house right now. Will a Cavy Cozy work in place of a hide house?
I recently got my sewing machine working again so I have a couple dozen sitting around.. acquiring one or twenty is not a problem.

cavyinhawaii

Cavy Slave
Do you have a 12 can soda box? My pigs hang out in one all the time. They also like paper lunch bags. Pigs like most boxes, The soda size just fits well in my cage.

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
You could also clamp a towel up in a corner and make a piggie tent. Mine love to hide in their piggie tent!

wiggley_narco

Cavy Gazer
I don't have a Snack Shack for my piggies, but I didn't know they were bad. What is wrong with them (other than the fact that they come from PetSmart and everything there is bad... lol)?

PhoenixFeather

Cavy Slave
Hello all.
Will a Cavy Cozy work in place of a hide house?

The piggies really like to hide. Are you talking about a bag cozy or a cup cozy? A bag cozy might work. I second the recommendation of boxes for hides. We have one cardboard box with a door cut into it as a hidey house, and also a fridge-pak coke box for a "tunnel" We also have a hammock which Frisky used to enjoy, but doesn't go into these days. But having it over top of the cuddle cup makes that space feel more safe for them, it seems.

I'd give them a box or curtain or tent or something to hide behind, in addition to a cozy.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
I don't have a Snack Shack for my piggies, but I didn't know they were bad. What is wrong with them (other than the fact that they come from PetSmart and everything there is bad... lol)?

Snack Shacks contain too much sugar for pigs, that's why they can't have them.

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
I don't drink soda but my brother eats a lot of junk food so I bet I could get a cardboard box or seven out of him at any given time.
I did mean the cozy bags, I haven't been able to get out and get batting for a cuddle cup but I desperately want to make one.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.