Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Newbie here! Hi!

Liann

Cavy Slave
Just introducing myself really quick. My name is Liann and I just "rescued" two female piggies from a person I work with. They were bought from a local pet store (it's actually one of the few reputable pet stores in the area - family run) and he was told they are around 6-8 weeks old. His daughter has already tired of them :grumpy: and he was looking to get rid of them (can you believe that???). I had guinea pigs as a child, but it has been a while, so I am trying to find out all the info. I can. I found this site and made a cage from the coroplast and metal panels from Target. I'm so thankful this site listed links to places that sold the coroplast! The guys at "Signs Now" in Hanover, PA, were wonderful and they even cut and scored it for me. Right now, my cage is 2 x 3 panels, but I plan to expand as my piggies grow. I have enough panels for a mansion!

Anyways, here are the piggies. I was told the first one is a Peruvian. When I comb her, her hair will go semi-straight, but as soon as I put her down, it pops back up into the wild hair look with cow licks etc... I was told it would straighten eventually??? She is soooo soft.

Her name is Dharma - also known as "Diva Pig":

I am still working on a name for the second piggy. I know something will strike me eventually.

And this is their cage. I have added a wooden hide and several toys since taking this pic.

I've only had the piggies for a few days and they are still really skittish. I'm hoping they calm down soon. Everytime I walk by, they squeak and run for cover, lol...

Can't wait to chat with you guys!

Princess Aurora

Cavy Slave
Welcome Liann!!

I am also a newbie so in the mid time we can chat with each other lol

Princess Aurora

Cavy Slave
Cute piggies by the way!

I also got two girls!

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
Welcome! Your piggies ( and doggy) are so cute.

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
Your piggies are sooooo cute! I can't believe someone can get piggies for their kids without being committed to them themselves. My children wanted piggies two years ago, and I put it off until I knew I could handle taking care of them when they lost interest.

It is now four weeks since we got our piggies and the kids have lost almost all interest in them. Now it is my turn to love and care for the piggies:) !

I don't know if your looking for help with names but Karma would be a great name to go with Dharma. And seen as the synonyms for Karma are ~ chance, fate, luck, destiny, and fortune, and that is how you came upon these beautiful piggies, I thought it was fitting.

Liann

Cavy Slave
Cute piggies by the way!

I also got two girls!

Hi fellow newbie!!! Are those your girls in your avatar pic?

Welcome! Your piggies ( and doggy) are so cute.

Thank you! The weiner dog is Cheyenne. I have 3 all together - Cheyenne, Dakota, & Montana. They are my babies! :)

Cheyenne & Dakota

Montana:

Your piggies are sooooo cute! I can't believe someone can get piggies for their kids without being committed to them themselves.

I think it is pretty awful that they were already looking for a new home for them too. So many people are too impulsive with buying pets for their kids. :sarcastic And like you said, they shouldn't do it unless they are prepared to take care of them in the end. Karma is a cute name. I'll have to think about that one. :)

Thanks for the welcome guys!!!

Princess Aurora

Cavy Slave
Yeah, those piggies in my avatar are my two lovely girls" Poofy and Hairballie ^^

I also uploaded a picture of them to the Guinea Pigs gallery if you want to see them.

Liann

Cavy Slave
Yeah, those piggies in my avatar are my two lovely girls" Poofy and Hairballie ^^

I also uploaded a picture of them to the Guinea Pigs gallery if you want to see them.

I left a comment on your pic. :)

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
I love the name Karma, we had a doberman named Karma.

For some reason, your piggie looks like a piglet. She is not chubby or anything, that named just hit me when I looked at her lol.

Or maybe Winnie, Bessy, Daisy?

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
Liann, what kind of bedding do you use? I am lookin for a new type of bedding and I saw yours and got curious.

Also, do you like that type of bedding? And is it expensive?

Last edited:

Liann

Cavy Slave
I use aspen bedding. I try to stay away from anything with oils like cedar or pine. I get mine from Tractor Supply Store and it comes compressed in a large bag. Lasts much longer than a bag of the same size with loose shavings.

It costs between $8 - $10 a bag. Just depends on which Tractor Supply Store I get it from. I really like it so far.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.