Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Floor time question?

FranktheTank

Cavy Slave
I try to give my pigs floor time and they just sit together by their toys and don't move for at least half an hour. I don't know what to do to get them to run around and explore. Need some ideas for fun homemade toys ramps or like a course they could run around in. I have looked at the toys and accessories link and no luck with toys they want to use.

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
My piggies love it when I make a maze of boxes for them to crawl through. I cut big holes in the boxes and line up the holes so they can go from one box to the next. Sometimes I put shredded paper in one box, crumbled paper in another, fleece in another, etc. This gives them something to explore. You can connect the boxes with tunnels if you have them, you can line up the wholes and zip tie them together, or just simply set them side by side with the holes lined up.

Just have fun with them!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Please post your questions in the appropriate forum section. Thanks.

This thread has been moved to the appropriate forum.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
If I see that my guinea pig is not being very active during floor time, I will take him out of his pen and let him walk around. He has a blast! He runs laps around the outside of his pen and does popcorns around it. It is hilarious. Also, if I sit down and move to a different spot on the floor, he will run over and stop right next to my foot. It is fun for both my pig and me!

To my pig, rotation is key. I don't put him in the same spot for floor time every day, as he may get bored. One day he will go in the kitchen, etc... This allows him to explore new surroundings and it gets him moving around.

Also, the cage they have may not be large enough. As mentioned on one page on home, guinea pigs need excercise on their own schedules. Maybe the time you are giving them may be convenient for you, but possibly, they could be more interested in relaxing. The larger the cage, the more space they will have to excercise when they want to.

Maybe try various toys. Get toys that make noise, or ones that they can roll around (like a tennis or ping pong ball), or something that they can climb.

Hope this helps you a little bit!:)

FranktheTank

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all the help my cage is big enough it is a 4.5 by 3 grid cage for 2 pigs. I will try all of the suggestions hopefully one will work.

fourboys4now

Cavy Slave
I always feed my boys a treat of cilantro or parsley during floor time. When I put them in the kitchen they are alert and trying to get to the food.

I went to Lowe's and found 9 foot sections of large pvc pipe with small little holes spaced down the length. The person at Lowe's cut it for me for free into 3 foot sections. I put them in different parts of the kitchen and my boys love to walk and run thru them. All you hear is the little click, clack of their nails going thru it. Sometimes there will be 3 in a little piggy line walking thru it at one time.

At WalMart I also found cute little pop up tents that are made for cats. They were cheap between $4-$6 for each. They have cut out circles on the sides of them. I have a tent shaped one and 2 box shaped ones which attach together. They have so much fun jumping thru them and playing chase thru them. It's made of a really thin vinyl so when they pee in it I just rinse it and it's clean again. Good luck!;)

Biscuit

Cavy Slave
I hide hay in different boxes and things. Cut different sized holes in boxes and put a few different objects in there each time.

Mine don't "play" much persay, except the one that is constantly trying to escape...but they do pig-train chase each other. 95% of pig energy seems to revolve around and be triggered by the introduction of hay and/or vegetables to the area.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.