Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pig Cold?

D

d0llm0uth

Pig Cold?

I think my guinea pig has a cold. It has crust on his nose and has been sneezing and wiping his nose with his paws (which gets crusty stuff on his paws as well). He had some gook around his eyes, but it seems to be gone for now. Is there anything I can do to help treat this? I am going to the vet soon, but is there anything else I can give him or do for him until i can get him in? :(

A

AngelicumCavy

Re: Pig Cold?

cavies do not get cold viruses.

discharge from eyes and nose Swollen joints, difficulty walking get to a vet. These are signs of scurvy. -guinealynx

<a href="https://guinealynx.info/emergencymedicalguide.html" target="top">guinealynx.info/emergencymedicalguide.html</a>

Scurvy is a common illness for a Guinea Pigs as Cavies are the only one apart from US that cannot produce its OWN Vitamin C and totally depends from an outer interference. Lack of vitamin C will make some discharges from eyes, nose and a visible walking problems. Vitamin C forms 50% of cartilage in the joints therefore, problems in movement are more likely the first symptom of scurvy -angelicum

A

AngelicumCavy

[/i]<font size="1">leave blank</font>

B

Briana D

The crusty noise and sneezing points to an upper respiratory infection. They are extremely deadly to any pig. If left untreated death will result.

There is not much you can do for him. Keep him warm and out of drafty environments. You need to get him to a vet now. Do not wait. The life of your pig is in your hands. URIs are extremely serious and deadly.

Check out www.guinealynx.info for any more information. When is your vet appointment?

D

d0llm0uth

Re:

The appointment will hopefully be on tuesday.

Shall I separate the two guinea pigs even though they are both sick? I had them separated but it really upset them.

D

d0llm0uth

*hoping for an answer to that question a.s.a.p...*

A

AngelicumCavy

seperate them dollmouth

D

d0llm0uth

:( shiznit. they look so sad an un-active when they are apart.

B

Briana D

Re: .

If one is sick you'll want to take both pigs in just in case.

D

d0llm0uth

They are both sick anyways, so I'm taking both.

A

alilporkbun

Good Luck

Good Luck to you d0llm0uth and your two pigs. When I got Frank, he came with an upper respiratory infection (stupid petco!) He was sneezing, snotty, and wheezing. But now he is all better. And I am sure your pigs will be too.

D

d0llm0uth

Update

I got the pig to the vet and I am now giving them doses of Batril oral medication. I see some improvement in the older piggy, but I think the little one is being a little smart ass and is leaving the medication in his mouth--and when I put him back in the cage he spits it out. :evil:

J

janiexo

food

feed them food right after giving them medicine so they eat it. don't put them back right after giving them medicine.

Attachments

My phone photos 183.jpg
C

Creative622

Re: food

My piggy Pudge just got back from the vet last night because she too had an upper respiratory infection. She had goop in her eyes and she was sneezing a lot. Her nose was kind of crusty too. Right now she is on her medication and she likes it because it is cherry flavored! And I actually found out the Pudge was a girl and not a boy like I originally thought! Hehe!

H

hezzy1972

i just wanted to comment on what someone said about gp's not getting a cold. they can catch colds from being near drafts cause my first gp got sick and i took her to the vet and they said she had a cold. apparently they can catch a cold and if i didnt treat her she would have died. now if i am wrong, blame the vet cause thats what he said. :p

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.