PDA

View Full Version : Fleece experience...

sglancy
12-01-04, 01:25 pm
I have used about every type of bedding available and here's my 2 cents along with a question for everyone. By the way, I have 4 pigs in a 3X4 C&C cage with an upper level that is 4X1X2:

Carefresh - expensive and not much better than aspen
Pine - OK, fairly inexpensive but messy
Aspen - A bit more expensive than pine...also messy
Woody Pet- Very heavy bags (30lbs) not very easy to use b/c of weight and can be expensive for large cages like mine since I would need at least 2 bags.
Towels - Smelly! You really need to change at least 1-2 times a day. A lot of laundry.
Fleece - this was my most recent attempt at bedding. I used the waterproof crib pad with 2 layers of fleece. It seemed to work fine at first but then after the first week it really began to smell. I changed every 1-2 days. Like towels, a lot of laundry too.
I am now back to using a combination of a newspaper then pine then aspen. The smell issue has been taken care of for now. I usually do spot cleaning occasionally then do a complete change once a week. With such a large cage this still adds up $ wise. My question is for those of you who use a similar combo, how often do you do a complete change out before the cage begins to smell? It would be great if I could stretch the change outs longer. Maybe there is something minor I could do occasionally that would extend the life of the bedding. Money and time are both factors for me as they are for most of us. Thanks for any advice you have!

loves2travel
12-01-04, 06:42 pm
really? I use fleece, just one layer of fleece and then one layer of crib padding. nothing else. and i really think its absolutely wonderful! no smell, looks nice. i think your problem may be the double layers of fleece. I dont know why, but everyone who has tried double fleece plus pad says it really stinks, and once they do away with one fleece layer, its great! you may want to try that.

*LovesGinny*
12-01-04, 09:38 pm
being a first time pig owner, i tried a newspaper/aspen combo and my room got covered with shavings when i was changing it. A huge mess! so after that i switched to towels on lower level, shavings on upper level and it has worked great! i do tonnes of laundry anyways and we have a bunch of old towels we never use. I found that it doesn't stink at all, and i change the towels every second day and the bedding every weekend.

AngelsCavies
12-01-04, 11:01 pm
sglancy, You use alot of bedding for that size cage. I use one full bag of bedding for both of my cages. the girls are in a 4x7 and the boys are in a 4x4. I will be exspanding their cages this weekend. The boys will be the same as the girls.

sglancy
12-02-04, 06:36 am
When I use the newspaper,pine,aspen combo I am only using a portion of the large bags. The bedding is probably only about 1" thick. Is this too much bedding? If anything I thought it was probably not enough.

Thanks for the advice on the single fleece layer. I'll try that too. Any more suggestions?

Thanks!

sglancy

NoCableIsSafe
12-03-04, 06:41 am
I have used about every type of bedding available and here's my 2 cents along with a question for everyone. By the way, I have 4 pigs in a 3X4 C&C cage with an upper level that is 4X1X2:

Carefresh - expensive and not much better than aspen
Pine - OK, fairly inexpensive but messy
Aspen - A bit more expensive than pine...also messy
Woody Pet- Very heavy bags (30lbs) not very easy to use b/c of weight and can be expensive for large cages like mine since I would need at least 2 bags.
Towels - Smelly! You really need to change at least 1-2 times a day. A lot of laundry.
Fleece - this was my most recent attempt at bedding. I used the waterproof crib pad with 2 layers of fleece. It seemed to work fine at first but then after the first week it really began to smell. I changed every 1-2 days. Like towels, a lot of laundry too.
I am now back to using a combination of a newspaper then pine then aspen. The smell issue has been taken care of for now. I usually do spot cleaning occasionally then do a complete change once a week. With such a large cage this still adds up $ wise. My question is for those of you who use a similar combo, how often do you do a complete change out before the cage begins to smell? It would be great if I could stretch the change outs longer. Maybe there is something minor I could do occasionally that would extend the life of the bedding. Money and time are both factors for me as they are for most of us. Thanks for any advice you have!

What about hay?

RustBottum
12-05-04, 03:01 pm
loves2travel- how often do you change your cage with the fleece?

Right now i am going to try newspaper with aspen and see how that works.

Does anyone else use fleece? How does it work?

mncavylover
12-05-04, 03:28 pm
Pine is a no-no. Please do not use it. Aspen is much safer, and is almost as cheap.

Patch
12-05-04, 03:28 pm
yes I am curious about fleece also were do you get it?

mncavylover
12-05-04, 03:29 pm
You can get it at just about any fabric store.

Piglet
12-05-04, 03:30 pm
I find that towels work well. Rust, I think she changed her fleece every 3-4 days

loves2travel
12-05-04, 04:08 pm
yes, i clean every 3-4 days, and it sooo easy. just roll up my lining, throw it in the machine, sparay teh cage with water vinegar solution, and lay down fresh lining. ta da! i also have velcro in the corbners to hold the pads in place.

RustBottum
12-05-04, 05:30 pm
i usually change my cage every week but if i use fleece i will change it every 3-4 days. It doesn't smell? A lot of people say you have to change it every day? Doesn't your guinea pig step in it's poop since it jsut sits on the fleece? Also what is crib padding and were do you get it? Do you put it on top of the fleece or underneath?

mncavylover
12-05-04, 07:03 pm
You do have to change it every day/every other day or else it'll get icky. As for the poop, it's the same with bedding--just spot clean daily. Crib padding is just an absorbent blanket type thing that can be found in the baby section of stores.

sglancy
12-06-04, 07:49 am
I changed my fleece every other day. The smell was still bad. Things are better as far as smell since I switched back to aspen/pine. I loved the idea of fleece and was hoping it would work out. I'm still waiting for the "ultimate" bedding!
sglancy

susku
12-06-04, 11:33 am
I tried old towels last Christmas and it really stinks very soon. Now I am back to shavings (we have brands like Chipsi and Pes├Ąpuru). In Germany, many people also use hamp bedding, it is a bit heaver (almost like cut small branches) and makes no dust.

RustBottum
12-06-04, 03:54 pm
i bought some aspen bedding and even before i got it out of the bag it smells funny!!!!!!

loves2travel
12-06-04, 08:21 pm
no, my piggies dont ever step on their poop. i thought that might be problem, but so far, it doesnt happen. I spot clean pretty often though. Once in the morning before school, once as soon as i get back from school, once right after they finish veggies, and once right before bed. My parents also do it once or twice during the day while im away.

loves2travel
12-06-04, 08:21 pm
oh ya - forgot to say this in my last post - it doesnt smell one bit

RustBottum
12-07-04, 02:17 pm
ok thank you

mncavylover
12-07-04, 07:46 pm
RustBottom, it's usual for it to smell somewhat. It just doesn't have the harmful oils like pine does.

RustBottum
12-08-04, 02:41 pm
Ok thanyou

Ly&Pigs
12-10-04, 04:28 pm
As far as fleece goes it all depends on what type of fleece you are using. I use one layer of heavier fleece or a thick fleece blanket cut to fit the cage. I have no problems whatsoever with the fleece smelling. But the one time I tried the thinner fleece (like sweatshirt fleece) the cage did start to smell after a day.

The fleece blankets I have been getting at Wal-Mart for $5.00 are thick and pull moisture through really well and I spot clean a couple times of day plus I have a small cat litter pan in the corner which they are starting to mostly use for peeing. Hay also comes off the blankets pretty easily. I just pick the blanket up every couple of days and take it outside and shake it off and replace. I can use the blanket for up to a week with no smell.

The other fleece that I use is thick as well, almost as thick as the blanket but hay sticks to it a little more and I have to hand pick some of the hay off of it and I have to change that about every 4 days.

Also it is better to not use layers of fleece because sometimes the urine does get trapped between the layers causing an odor. I use incontinence pads or puppy training pads underneath the fleece and then a thick layer of newspaper under the pads in case of any leaking at the corners. I am going to try the crib pads under the fleece soon to see if that is better than the other pads.

I just change out the pads about twice a week or more often as needed and change the newspaper as needed as well.

For the litter pan I use a layer of newspaper with a layer of kiln dried pine over that then another layer of newspaper and a layer of hay on top. I just change the top layer daily and then change the kiln dried pine/bottom newspaper layer once a week or more often as needed. This setup seems to be working very well for me. When I spot clean the cage daily I throw some of the poops into the litter pan and that is helping the girls to use their litter pan as well.

RustBottum
12-11-04, 10:02 am
ok thank you
I am going to try lining the bottom with newspaper then crib paddin then the fleece. Do you know what the fleece it called or what it might look like, the you have (the thick one)? Or where i can get it?

I put the litter pan in my guinea pigs cage yesterday then i put some poop in it but i don't think he has even used it. Any suggestiong to get him to use it? Thank you

Piglet
12-11-04, 10:42 am
Some people use polar fleece. Some guinea pigs can never be litter trained, others take time. Just put lots of the poo's in the tray and hopefully, with time, they'll get the hang of it

RustBottum
12-11-04, 11:10 am
ok thank you

sglancy
12-13-04, 05:31 pm
I also used the fleece blankets from Walmart with newspaper underneath but still had odor problems. I even bought a plug in filter with the carbon to try to keep odors at bay but that didn't even help. As I said I changed every other day and really should have changed daily! Alot of work and laundry with a 3X4 cage with upper level. Maybe in a smaller cage it wouldn't be such a chore.

Sglancy

Kizerk
12-13-04, 06:09 pm
i have a question, do you line the cage with newspapers, and place the fleece on top, or do you add some asphen between the fleece and newspaper? im new at this, i just want to get everything straight

sglancy
12-14-04, 08:06 am
I used newspaper first then water proof crib pads then fleece. But as I said before, I wouldn't recommend fleece unless you have a smaller cage and the time to clean and laundry daily.

RustBottum
12-14-04, 02:03 pm
i use aspen now but it gets everywhere and is hard to spot clean. Also, how often should i spot clean if i change the cage every week? I am using aspen now.

With the litter pan i think my guinea pig peed in it cause there was a darker spot in the corner of the aspen in it. I hope he gets litter ttrained casue it will be eisier when i take him out if he goes in the litter instead of on the floor.

Ly&Pigs
12-14-04, 05:39 pm
You can get fleece at Wal-Mart. I use the fleece blankets I get from Wal-Mart for $5 but I was in the store a couple of days ago and they have fleece blanket kits that have two large panels of fleece for a real good price. I paid $10.74 + tax for a kit. There were two panels in it (one solid and one print) and each measure 48" x 60". They are working out very well in the cage. I have a temp cage right now but it's only about 2" difference width than a 2x4 C&C. And I spot clean at least once a day, most usually twice a day.

I am getting the cubes in two days to make their C&C. I have the coroplast already. I am going to make them either a 2x4 with a 2x2 loft or a 2x4 with an extra 2x1 attached to the side and then a 2x3 loft on top.

RustBottum
12-15-04, 05:19 pm
how often do you change your cage?

John4216
12-16-04, 12:45 pm
I have a 4X5 with a 2X4 upper level...I tried carefresh also and the cost alone was enough to make me not want to use it and I did not like it that well...Currently I am using kiln-dried wood shavings (not cedar and yes I check them to make sure they dont smell like pine in case some pine got mixed in the wood). The shavings were a mess at first and time consuming for a large cage cleaning so here is what I have done and it has cut the mess down quite a bit.

Starting with the cage totally empty..I lay overlapping layers of newspapers down first. I use about 3-4 layers of newspaper and overlap at the 1/2 page mark...in spots that often get extra wet I will use more paper...then I add about a 1" - 2" layer of the shavings and walk on them to somewhat flatten them..then I spot clean their cage and I freshen it buy adding a thin layer of shavings, especially where I had to spot clean...

With the smaller cage I had to entirely change the cage every week or sooner because of the smell (and I felt awful they had to smell that). With the bigger cage and the cleaning and freshening of it the cage doesnt need cleaned but every 2 weeks and even then there is no odor from it....When I go to totally empty the cage I and one of my children climb in and roll the newspaper with the shavings in it toward the other end of the cage and it curls up and looks like a carpet roll....then one of my other children slips the trash bag around the end of the roll and we slip it into the bag ...this is is very quick and only a little of the shavings fall out into the cage.. I found a site that has a slide show of someone who shows how this is done on her piggie site here it is:

http://kathyskritters.com/tales/pgallery/clean01.html

Hope this helps

CavySpirit
12-16-04, 01:50 pm
Great link. Thanks.

RustBottum
12-16-04, 01:59 pm
thanks a lot!!
I still think i am going to try the fleece bedding.

AngelsCavies
01-02-05, 10:09 pm
sglancy, Using water proof crib pads may be the problem for the smell. You really dont want 100 percent water proof. The pee will just run off and back on the fleece and never dry completly.

GPDaisy
01-08-05, 04:17 pm
I'm making the transition to fleece soon and wondered about the odor. I've read that a little vinegar in the washer helps remove odor - true or no?

AngelsCavies
01-08-05, 04:33 pm
I know that when I use vinegar and water to clean the cages it really kills the oder. I also have 2 bunnies and when they go potty it really stinks and the vinegar really kills the smell. I think it would kill the oder on the fleece. I jsut wash the fleece and it kinda have slight smell on it. I just wont use towels under the fleece at all. I use a sheet of towel for their loft and it is now wet from the water bottle and the girls peeing up there and the oder is really bad on the towel. I use news papers under the fleece and I jsut put news paper under the towel for the loft.

endzie
01-10-05, 02:13 am
What about hay?I tried that for a while, but the hay gets soiled so easily so I found myself changing more frequently.

I am also in need of a better bedding solution..

I think I should start lining the bottom with newspaper, it seems like it would make the cleaning process much easier.

coolcavies
01-24-05, 02:59 pm
I'm hoping to use fleece, if I can persuade my mum to do the piggy washing. If I had a layer or two of newspaper, and then a layer of towels and a layer of fleece on top, would it be ok? Would it smell? How often would each layer have to be changed?

RustBottum
01-24-05, 03:22 pm
How many piggies do you have? It sound ok to me. You would have to spot clean once or twice a day and change wet newspaper daily or every other day. And the towels and fleece ecvery 4-5 days depending.

AngelsCavies
01-24-05, 04:05 pm
for my loft I still had problems with the smell. I went to the dollar store and bought 4 door mat rugs that are washable. I measured the loft and cut it. works great and I use the rug for the ramp too.

coolcavies
01-24-05, 04:32 pm
How many piggies do you have? It sound ok to me. You would have to spot clean once or twice a day and change wet newspaper daily or every other day. And the towels and fleece ecvery 4-5 days depending. Only two pigs will be in the cage (I have 38 lol, but most of them live in the pig shed - I'm keeping these two inside because one of them is 'elderly' and isn't coping too well with the temperature in the shed). Thanks for your reply - mum said if she only has to do one piggy wash a week it's alright!

AngelsCavies
01-24-05, 04:48 pm
i Have 22 piggies and I use fleece

coolcavies
01-26-05, 10:30 am
Do they all live in one big pen, or do you have seperate ones?

An update - we got some fleece, and also some vetbed, so I'll be using vetbed for a few days then washing it while the fleece is being used - both will have newspaper and towels underneath. They've been on the vetbed for almost two days, and I'm really pleased so far - it really doesn't smell at all. I'm spot cleaning a few times a day - there's a little tray with shredded paper in it at one end of the cage, and I've been changing that every four or five hours roughly, and picking up any poops around the cage. As I said, really pleased so far, and Whisky and Vertigo seem to like it too!

dansamy
02-08-05, 12:19 pm
I cloth-diapered my kids, including polar fleece covers and wool covers. Vinegar in the rinse cycle will neutralize the urine & kill the odor. You can use a Downy fabric softener ball to put the vinegar in the washer. Then, you don't have to stand over your washer waiting for the rinse cycle.