Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Canada Vancouver Hotels

TX_2_Pigs

Cavy Slave
So the boyfriend and I are taking an Alaskan cruise in July. The ship leaves Vancouver at 5:30 pm on July 2. We know we always waste a day when we travel because we are so tired, so we want to leave on July 1 and stay in a hotel so we aren't so tired and rushed trying to get to the pier from the airport. The travel agency has a block of rooms reserved at the Hampton for members of the group we are going with that want to do just that. Only problem is they want $250 per night, PER PERSON! Yes it includes transportation from the airport and to the pier and breakfast, but please, unless it is a full buffet served to me in bed and a limo driven by <insert name of favorite movie star here> then I think that is too steep.

So my question is for those of you who live in/around Vancouver. Can you recommend any hotels that are a bit more reasonable? Or is that what I can expect from them all?

PhoenixFeather

Cavy Slave
You should be able to do way better than that. The Hampton is an expensive chain (but even so, $500/night is insane!) Try calling some of the cheaper chains like Days Inn, Best Western, Comfort Inn, Travelodge, etc. You should be able to get a room for half of that, double occupancy (so 1/4 of the total cost!). Of course you will probably have to get your own cab to the pier. :)

cavyinhawaii

Cavy Slave
Try orbitz.com, hotwire.com and lastminutetravel.com
They are all really good.

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
I am not in Vancouver, but my suggestion is to look online and book one as soon as possible. July 1st is Canada day, and depending on the city, all hotels are usually booked solid. I am not sure if alot of visitors go to Vancouver, so I am not sure if they will be full or not. Hotels.ca, is a pretty good site, also, you cant try the big chains, like Howard Johnson, Holiday Inn, Quality Inn, Travel lodge, Super 8, Comfort Inn, Best Western. All of these big chains will have a main line to call, you can try looking them up and calling their 1-800 number, and they can give you rates, and location to the pier. These places usually give deals for booking way in advance. Good luck!

TX_2_Pigs

Cavy Slave
Of course you will probably have to get your own cab to the pier. :)

:eek: Call an ambulance now!

This is one of the downsides for me about traveling. I can't take a taxi. Just the mere thought if it sends me into a panic attack. (It is a rational fear for me but I would rather not talk about its origin.)

All the hotels should have shuttles from the airport. If they don't have a shuttle to take us to the pier, then we will have to get a hotel right next to the pier so we can walk. I had to spend the night in the New Orleans airport once because of it so I know it ain't happening.

ms pixie riot

Cavy Slave
If you don't have a problem with limos, it is often cheaper to take a limo in Vancouver than a cab, because it's a flat rate instead of metered! We've often found it much less expensive to take a limo from the airport to downtown, and you get to feel like a movie star!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Nothing really of value that I can add except to try online booking places like expedia.com, travelocity and the ones mentioned above.

I do wish you a wonderful trip though! Take lots of photos for us to see when you get back!

I spent a day in Vancouver a few years ago when I lived in Washington State. Beautiful city.

hydrohoki

Cavy Slave
I've stayed at
Delta Vancouver Suites

550 West Hastings Street
Vancouver, BC V6B 1L6

It was really nice and I believe within walking distance of the pier. It's not terribly cheap though.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.