Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning...

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
How often, do I need to clean the cage? And what do I do, when I clean it?

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Do you mean clean as in change the bedding or as in actually clean the coroplast?

I clean my coroplast each time I change out the bedding, about once a week or so. Scoop out the dirty bedding, spray everything down with a vinegar/water mix, use a nylon bristle brush to scrub any tough spot and wipe everything down with towels. Let air dry while the pigs are having floor time, refill with new bedding, put pigs, toys, hidies, food, etc back in the cage.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Okay. So, should you clean the coroplast everytime you wash the fleece, and towels? Should you spot clean daily?

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
You should definitely spot clean with fleece. You want to make sure to vacuum or sweep up the poops at least a time or two a day. I wouldn't bother with cleaning the coroplast until you take the fleece and towels out entirely for washing.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
How often should I wash the fleece and towels? Once a week? I definitely need to get a hand vacuume! We have a dyson pet one, and I don't think I want to lug that big thing out once or twice a day! I found a $20.00 one at Wal-Mart that cleans up both wet and dry messes.

Last edited:

luvmyzoocrew

Cavy Slave
I wash the fleece and towels once a week, for the most part there are sometimes that I go over a week. I use a small shop vac to vacum up the poo everyday, the onlything I dont like is that the hay keeps getting caught up in the hose, but it was doing the same thing in my vacum.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Okay. I'll deffinitely wash the fleece and towels once a week, and I'll probably end up vacuming the cage like twice a day.

alerz

Cavy Slave
Yes, purchasing a small hand vac would be your best bet. When I first switched over to fleece, I tried using my normal vacuum temporarily, and it was actually too powerful and sucked up the bedding along with the poop. A cheap hand vac is better!

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
Cleaning
This is everything you will need to know about cleaning your cage. Very useful and helpful information. Hope this helps!!!:)

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Thanks! yeah, my mom said we are going to get a hand vac, because there is no way I am using the $500.00 one! Thats what she said.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.