Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Toys

Sammy and Peanut

Cavy Slave
What are some homemade toys that I can use in my guinea pig's playtime area or cage? I need some ideas. Please help me!

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
You can sew some fleece to make a sleep sack.

I saw someone with a box of shredded paper with wholes cut in the sides.

Boxes make great hidey houses, or connect a few boxes with tubes and make a climbing maze.

My two love paper lunch bags(just fold the top over to help keep it open).

I can't think of anything else right now, but I will try.

Sammy and Peanut

Cavy Slave
Thanks. I am going to try those in my new cage!lol

bamby71994

Cavy Slave
Go to home, then it says toys. It should have a HUGE list of ideals. The other site I go on is not as good but still quite good is guineapigfun.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Sammy and Peanut

Cavy Slave
I know that. I use those in his playroom, but I need some more.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Do you need more, or does your pig? Most pigs couldn't care less about toys. They will play with their hay, hidies, crumbled paper or paper bags and other homemade toys, but don't stress yourself if your pig doesn't show any interest in toys. The best toy for a guinea pig is honestly another guinea pig.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
Like Percy's Mom said, you do not need to go over board with the toys. Even though it is nice for them to have some, you don't need to go crazy over it. I give my pig a paper towel roll, cut it down the middle and fill it with hay. He loves it!!! (Keeps him entertained for hours! Just watch them for the first couple of minutes and you will see!)
Like those "Kongs" that dogs have, it serves a similar purpose, but for guinea pigs!
Also, I have heard of tennis balls, ping pong balls, my pig has a tube that he hides in, and mine has a pigloo, but those work just as well!!
Even hanging up towels in the corner of their cage and they allow them to hide in it.
lol

Last edited:

Sammy and Peanut

Cavy Slave
I do use most of the things you use auburn. I was at the pet store the other day. The have bird toys that you hang on top of the cage. The only problem is that my cage has no top to it! What should I do? I really want to use those bird toys.

gpigluver14

Cavy Slave
I do use most of the things you use auburn. I was at the pet store the other day. The have bird toys that you hang on top of the cage. The only problem is that my cage has no top to it! What should I do? I really want to use those bird toys. https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/../showthread.php?do=post_thanks_add&p=347272

It would be a waste to make a top to your cage just to hang a bird toy which your pig might not even play with. You could hang it from the sides or just stick with other toys.

Ally has U's

Cavy Slave
I just bought them a cat toy ball with a bell in the middle for $.58 literally an hour ago and I put it in the cage and I turned around to grab some food for them when I heard the bell start making noises I looked and my Giuseppe was playing with ball. And now all of them are it is neat to watch.

I also took two bent grids I didn't need any more and zip tied them together to make a tunnel and they love it. And no matter where I out there pigloo they always move the opening towards an opening for the tunnel so they can all lay together. It is adorable!!!

What I do with the my bird toys is I put up grid up in one of the back corners and attach them to that. It is in one area but they love it. Just zip tie the grid to the other two to insure that it won't fall. Mine never has.

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
If you want to use bird toys in your cage then tie a piece of twine or string across the top and hang the toys of of it.

Sammy and Peanut

Cavy Slave
That may be a little hard, considering how my cage is made. Hang on. I will post some pics.

Tophica

Cavy Slave
I think a good 'game' that my pigs love is just generally hiding treats eg grass (that hasn't been sprayed with anything), parsley, cabbage, peppers, things that they love and cant get enough of sort of treats and put them in hard to find places like buried in hay, behind things. I also have this ball with large holes ( but not quite piggy head sized) that I put lettuce in and the pigs play a sort of football with the ball trying to get at the food:p. These are good things to keep your pigs occupied while your out as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.