Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

bottom floor..what to use?

Sarah B.

Cavy Slave
I want to switch from a store bought cage to a C&C cage for my guinea pig. What do I have to use to make the flooring? Is there a link that has more info or a step by step guide on how to make a C & C cage???

mbator

Cavy Slave
I bought one from them the extra large cage for four piggies, buy the kit from them and you will have everything you need, it has this like hard plastic (coroplast) you can choose your color. It is great and easy to set up, mine love it. Maureen :)

Last edited by a moderator:

naturegal592

Cavy Slave
They are made with wire squares that are used to make storage cubes. You can buy a large box of them at target, meijer and many other places for $14-$20. The liner for the bottom is called coroplast and can be purchased in 4'x8' sheets at sign making shops.
If you go to the home page there is lots of info on making a cage and a link to help you find the coroplast(corogated plastic) in your area. The nice thing about making your own cage vs buying a C&C that is made for you is it is nice to have all of the extra parts to make things with.

pigsmakemesmile

Cavy Slave
I have a c/c cage but I don't use coroplast because it's too expensive to purchase. So I lined the bottom with an old carpet then covered it with a large plastic tarp clipped it to the cage. I filled it with kilned dried shavings.
To clean it, I just unclip the tarp and carry it outside and dump it in the back of my yard-very easy for me. This pertains to their 3x6 play area. The upper level I just changed back over to fleece. I lined this section with wood and laid some old drop rugs over top then covered this with towels and fleece. I just need to vaccum the poo's up and wash every couple days. I made each of 5 pigs a little ledge. They just love it. Now I am in the process of adding and extension to the upper level. I'm building a 2 x 6 for them with a walk-way between that and the 3x6 so they can go back and forth. I have a large moving blanket to line this with and fleece over top.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Shop around. Coroplast at wholesale prices should not be expensive. I get mine for under $20.

pigsmakemesmile

Cavy Slave
I contacted all the sign shops in my area, I can't seem to find it for 20.00$, the cheapest quoted was 124.00 for a 4 x 8 sheet. Stinks...does anyone know of a chain store that carries coroplast that is reasonably priced?? I have a large 3 x 6 and a 2 x 8 house for my boys.
Thank you

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
The links that Ly posted for you are excellent. https://www.guineapigcages.com/where.htm will also let you search for where to find cubes and coroplast in your area. Additionally, if you click on the "Cages Store" link at the top of the page, you can order whole cages, grids, coroplast, or extra connectors and cable ties.

Sarah B.

Cavy Slave
ly&pigs those links were very helpful....i checked out signsnow.com but there's none in my area. maybe i'll think about ordering some offline. thanks everyone! :cheerful:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.