Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Concerning...just found this...

pocoyo

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

Just found this newspaper article while researching pet rats on the internet. Has anybody else every came across any other similar stories as this?

Char-x

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Wow, thats really, really quite scary. Obviously a rare case but still worrying! Never heard anything like it before.

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't be concerned. If you get bitten and are stupid enough to let it fester for over 2 weeks, then you may have some concern.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
I think it's more likely a regular (if virulent) bacteria or infection got into the wound instead of "poison" from the rat. It is possible there was bacteria in the rat's mouth when it bit but I wouldn't call it a poison. There seems to be much speculation and hype about this case and not enough medical facts.

I'm certain his death occurred because of his delay in treatment. ANY REDNESS, especially when it starts radiation up the arm is reason to see a doctor immediately as it's a sign of a serious infection. To wait several days AFTER noticing the infection was rather stupid.

Char-x

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I have just look at other web pages on this as I was slightly stunned, I have no idea about bacterial infections etc etc but the comments on blogs and other places basically saying the same as Voodoo & Jenni pointed out, you can get bacterial infections from anything that punctures the skin. *phew*. The artical makes it seem pretty sinister, damm media! lol

Rattie Mom

Cavy Slave
I've seen stories like this circulating in the past. Reference to "Rat bite fever" etc.

I would not read too much into it either. I mean, a person can die from a cat bite too...but of course, there is the whole "oooh scary dirty rat" beliefs too. Which can really blow a story our of proportion.

Rat bites can get just as easily infected at cat bites, and I speak from personal experience when I say you need to make sure to clean the would properly and take care of yourself to keep it from infecting.

One of my ratties slipped and caught her foot in the ramp. It was the only uncovered area in the cage, and my girl was quite chubby and starting to get older. I just happened to be in the room and heard her scream. I opened the cage door knowing what was going to happen, but wanted to save her from breaking her ankle....so in went my hand to try and free her. In a panic (definitely not intentional) Ella bit into my finger and held on for dear life. At that point, we were both screaming...but I didn't let go and free'd her foot. Thankfully, she only had a bit of swelling in her ankle and was good as new in just a day or two.....I on the other hand, took several weeks to heal up. My finger swelled up to twice it's size and I had to soak/doctor it for many days.

I did not want to go to the doctor, because I didn't want to have to say my pet rat bit me...I knew how it would be taken (stupid of me, I know). Luckily, I healed up. But I can see how a bite could easily become infected. There was a couple of days where I was about to go to the doctor anyway, but knew I was a "fast healer" and I'd take a good turn at any moment.

Ok, long ramble and a bit off topic. But I do think that story was a very isolated case in that the media just wanted to capitalize on the fact it was from a RAT bite. :sad:

PhoenixFeather

Cavy Slave
A little close to home for me since my son just got bitten the other day by our newly adopted piggy. I patched it up with some triple-antibiotic ointment and a bandaid and then didn't think much of it. I made him bring it to me to look at just now, and it clearly isn't infected, but it's a good reminder to keep an eye on these things.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.