Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Please, please help

urockstar

Cavy Slave
I bought the mesh grids at Target and I think they stink. They contained 23 grids but many are different sizes, so small I can't even use them! I really don't know what the heck I'm doing. Look at this picture:

cage_0041.jpg

When I used the connectors I thought the gaps in between were going to be an issue for the babies, so I tried "baby-proofing" by using zip ties for the grids in the front, but by doing that it's made that line of grids wobbly. I mean, they are firm together, but really needs a connector somehow, but now that they're zippie tied like that, the connectors won't fit. Argh, I am SO FRUSTRATED about this. And after rushing to a far away Target to get what I thought would be a great thing, with not being able to use all the provided grids the cage still is small. Right now it's around 24 inches wide and 37 inches long.

It really looked so simple, everyone's pictures looked so nice and it seemed like a piece of cake to put together, but even getting these grids on the connectors, I had to push so hard, and they still seemed to pop off kind of easily. Maybe this was just a crappy product.

I was going to go to Costco but don't have a membership card there, and the mesh seemed like a much better way to go for baby proofing.

I'm so going nuts over this, I just want it made already. Argh! :grumpy:

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
I was also very disappointed about the mesh grids at Target- I was expecting a mesh version of the regular 14in grids. Linens and Things carry 14in x 14in mesh grids (16 for $20) if you need the mesh. If not, I would just recommend getting the regular hole sized ones, they are easier to work with.

Connectors have always been a pain for me. They do keep the cage sturdier, but using them was so irritating. If you are going to use them- you need to connect with them first and then cable tie for extra security. If not, they will go everywhere about 2 seconds after you put the pigs in the cage. If its just going to be a one level cage on the floor, I would go ahead and skip ahead and just do the cable ties. :)

Good luck!

urockstar

Cavy Slave
I was also very disappointed about the mesh grids at Target- I was expecting a mesh version of the regular 14in grids. Linens and Things carry 14in x 14in mesh grids (16 for $20) if you need the mesh. If not, I would just recommend getting the regular hole sized ones, they are easier to work with.

Connectors have always been a pain for me. They do keep the cage sturdier, but using them was so irritating. If you are going to use them- you need to connect with them first and then cable tie for extra security. If not, they will go everywhere about 2 seconds after you put the pigs in the cage. If its just going to be a one level cage on the floor, I would go ahead and skip ahead and just do the cable ties. :)

Good luck!

Yes but when I use only the zippie ties and no connectors, then the cage is wobbly. You know what I mean? Like, the grids hold together, but aren't firm in line. If the pigs leaned up against that long wall that I have zippie tied now, they'd be able to push it out a few inches. So incredibly annoying.

I don't know how to baby-proof the costco regular squared grids, mesh seemed a good way to go... maybe I could try the L&T grids. Seems MUCH better than these, which are only 8 1/2 by 12 1/2 inches. Lame!

16 for $20 -- is 16 enough for adequate space? I have 2 pigs now, and who knows how many babies on the way.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Does the Target have the regular grids? Those work better. The mesh ones don't work as well.

You baby proof the regular grids by double gridding them or making the coro sides higher.

urockstar

Cavy Slave
Does the Target have the regular grids? Those work better. The mesh ones don't work as well.

You baby proof the regular grids by double gridding them or making the coro sides higher.

But I thought it was bad to have the coro sides too high. I mean obviously I wouldn't make them extremely high.... I guess a few more inches wouldn't hurt.

Can someone please tell me, before I go out and buy another wrong thing, is the Costco regular grids the best one to go with? I mean, are the squares of those grids not too big? I don't know if I will double grid, I will prob just go with, like you said, making the coro sides a bit higher for the babies.

Also --- how many inches high should the coro sides actually be to baby proof?

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were expecting babies.

I would defiantly go with the linens and things mesh grids. You could make a 3x5 with 16 grids or a 2x6. Either way, that would be a great sized cage! It would be big enough permanently if your girl has a small litter, and if not it will at least be large enough for a large litter until they are old enough to be seperated. :)

urockstar

Cavy Slave
Seeing how difficult it was to zippie tie the mesh grids I think I might go with the regular and make the coro sides a few inches higher -- I really didn't think it was good to make coro sides too high, but I don't know what else to do. The mesh grids were so difficult to zippie tie!

Has anyone gone with the Costco grids?

PhoenixFeather

Cavy Slave
I used the regular grids, but just zip-tied them. It is wobbly when it's just sitting on the ground, but when you put it around a coroplast base that is the right size, it isn't. The coro keeps the corners in the right place, which prevents the sides from bending.

So, I would just use the grids you have, zip-tie them, measure the coro carefully, and go for it.

urockstar

Cavy Slave
Nah these grids I have are terrible. I'm going to go to Costco on Wednesday and make a 2x5 cage, and just use 8" walls to baby proof. Wondering how do I get the water bottle in there???

PhoenixFeather

Cavy Slave
Just cut a hole in the coro for the water bottle spout to go through.

pignewton

Cavy Slave
You can make the coro sides the standard 6 inches or so and slip leftover pieces (or cardboard) between it and the grids to raise the sides temporarily. When the babies are big enough just remove the scraps and you have the correct size! The sides should be 10" or so for babies.

urockstar

Cavy Slave
You can make the coro sides the standard 6 inches or so and slip leftover pieces (or cardboard) between it and the grids to raise the sides temporarily. When the babies are big enough just remove the scraps and you have the correct size! The sides should be 10" or so for babies.

8" seems really high... 10" seems a bit much, I don't want it to be TOO high. I don't see how a baby, even stretching out, could get stuck in a grid past 8" ... has anyone had that happen?

TX_2_Pigs

Cavy Slave
I just looked at these the other day. The thing about the grids at Costco is they aren't mesh. At least the ones at my Costco aren't. They are plastic.

I would recommend boxing those grids back up and going back to the Target and get these:

urockstar

Cavy Slave
I just looked at these the other day. The thing about the grids at Costco is they aren't mesh. At least the ones at my Costco aren't. They are plastic.

I would recommend boxing those grids back up and going back to the Target and get these:

Have you used this to make a cage? I'll definitely go for exchanging so I don't lose out on money, but will that build me a 2x5 ?

So, nobody has used the Costco grids? It seems like such a good deal, 30 cubes for $18... Can they chew through the plastic grids?

TX_2_Pigs

Cavy Slave
I have about 7 boxes of these. I bought 3 boxes over a period of time and then I was given 4 boxes that I had picked up for my sister-in-law to use for her bunnies. I told her I would help her build her cage but she changed her mind about them and had her husband build a hutch and gave them back to me.

I have my current cage which is 2x5 with a 2x2 "L" on a grid stand, a 1x2 travel cage with lid, a 2x4 quarantine cage, a 26 panel "play pen", a 2x2 shelf (their actual intended use!) and a large stack of spares.

As for the ones at Costco, they are solid and won't allow much airflow, except in between panels.

If you look at the photo galleries you will see that most people use these. I know I have already posted this picture to you in another thread and if you would take more time to read the existing threads instead of posting new threads with questions that have already been answered dozens of times, you might not be so confused.

You have 2 separate threads about how much coroplast to buy. Get 2 or 3 sheets when you find a source so that if/when you need more you will already have it. I have almost 2 full sheets stored in my attic. And before I had an attic, my extra was pinned between my couch and the wall. Get a measuring tape and once you have the cage built measure the inside multiple times before you actually cut the coroplast so you don't make a mistake cutting it. But don't worry if you do make a mistake. That is why you should get more than you need. I made a mistake with my very first build and it didn't have 4 sides. I just cut a piece for the missing end and taped in on. For my travel and quarantine cage, I just taped pieces together. It works just fine.

HowietheGreat

Cavy Slave
-THe ones fromTarget are easy to work with. I have made multiple C&C cages with them.. HOw old are your Babies? If you think they may squeeze through the grids, make the cage first with grids, connectors and zip ties. Then zip tie the mesh on the outside so they cannot squeeze through. That way it won't be wobbly and you can remove the mesh when they are big enough. :)

urockstar

Cavy Slave
I have about 7 boxes of these. I bought 3 boxes over a period of time and then I was given 4 boxes that I had picked up for my sister-in-law to use for her bunnies. I told her I would help her build her cage but she changed her mind about them and had her husband build a hutch and gave them back to me.

I have my current cage which is 2x5 with a 2x2 "L" on a grid stand, a 1x2 travel cage with lid, a 2x4 quarantine cage, a 26 panel "play pen", a 2x2 shelf (their actual intended use!) and a large stack of spares.

As for the ones at Costco, they are solid and won't allow much airflow, except in between panels.

If you look at the photo galleries you will see that most people use these. I know I have already posted this picture to you in another thread and if you would take more time to read the existing threads instead of posting new threads with questions that have already been answered dozens of times, you might not be so confused.

You have 2 separate threads about how much coroplast to buy. Get 2 or 3 sheets when you find a source so that if/when you need more you will already have it. I have almost 2 full sheets stored in my attic. And before I had an attic, my extra was pinned between my couch and the wall. Get a measuring tape and once you have the cage built measure the inside multiple times before you actually cut the coroplast so you don't make a mistake cutting it. But don't worry if you do make a mistake. That is why you should get more than you need. I made a mistake with my very first build and it didn't have 4 sides. I just cut a piece for the missing end and taped in on. For my travel and quarantine cage, I just taped pieces together. It works just fine.

Yeah, I apologize for repeating questions, but sometimes I don't see responses for specific questions I ask, and sometimes I can't remember where the answers were in what thread. I've been flustered and anxious the past few days about my pregnant pig and have been overly worried. I really appreciate all the help on this forum though.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.