PDA

View Full Version : rats and pigs?

ILovePiggies
11-29-04, 10:02 pm
~My friend was wondering if rats and guinea pigs could hang out. I didn't think so but I said I would ask just incase...? Thanks~

Treen
11-30-04, 06:10 am
You're right, they can't. The most likely scenario is that the rat will bite the guinea pig - I've seen photos of some pretty nasty injuries (especially around the eye) inflicted this way, from people who had previously been sure they could have supervised play together. Keep each with their own kind.

ILovePiggies
11-30-04, 06:41 pm
~Ewww aww , poor piggies. Thanks for telling me so now im positive =)~

mncavylover
11-30-04, 08:19 pm
I agree, it won't work. =)

EricNDeeDee
02-20-05, 01:14 pm
Agreed. They are two different animals with very different temperments. We have our rat's cage near our cavys just so they have neighbors during the day-and they do exhibit curiosity about each other-but they are far enough apart where they cannot reach each other. They will never be brought together.

If you have cavys and rabbits, however, they can be very friendly towards one another. DeeDee's rabbit Mathilda and Sheila the guinea pig lived in seperate cages, but would play togther on the patio all the time (under supervision), and clearly enjoyed each other's company. She was just afraid to cage them together without supervision.

bunnyluv17
02-21-05, 02:50 pm
I agree too. Rats are naturally predators. One night at the shelter a hamster escaped from his cage and when the staff came in the next day, there was blood on the wall and in the rat cage, but no trace of the hamster :( The rats will sometimes try to bite the rabbits through the cage bars, so I have to be careful when I let the shelter rabbits out to exercise.

Poohbear
02-21-05, 03:31 pm
That is scary buunyluv.

lindsey's boys
02-21-05, 03:54 pm
That is scary buunyluv.
I agree with you Queen B.

Poohbear
02-21-05, 04:09 pm
Thanks Lindsey. I personally think rats are gross.

lindsey's boys
02-21-05, 04:16 pm
I don't think I would ever have one as a pet anyways.

Poohbear
02-21-05, 09:20 pm
I agree with Lindsey 100%.

guineagurl
02-22-05, 02:29 am
I'm sure rat lovers say the same about Guinea Pigs.

The Dumpling
02-22-05, 08:22 am
You know what was interesting? Years ago I had taken Piggy outside to eat grass, and there was a squirrel nearby eating acorns. It came down the tree and kept staring at Piggy. I was there the whole time, so the squirrel didn't do anything, but it kept staring at her. Kind of unnerving.

Poohbear
02-22-05, 08:37 am
When squirrels attack.lol

EricNDeeDee
02-22-05, 09:33 am
As owners of both cavies as well as rats, we have a deep love for both of them. And we know that many people have issues with rats-but I do feel compelled to jump to their defense. Yes-they do have a jaded past-but please believe me when I tell you that rats are as devoted and loving to humans as any dog or cat.

Rats are incredibly social, intelligent, complex creatures that clearly exhibit problem-solving skills, analytical thinking, and deep love and devotion to their human companions. They will setup their living space on their own in an orderly and logical fashion. They bathe themselves regularly, and work towards keeping their living area tidy. They are anything but dirty. And these are not fanciful observations, either. It is abundantly clear how much is going on in their little heads. Our latest rat is a white-haired female named Beth. Every day we come home from work, she is at her gate, holding onto the bars, her little nose twitching while she looks at us with this sort of "come say hello to me" thing. As soon as the bars are open, she is climbing into my hand. She sits on my lap as we watch TV, and falls asleep as I massage her under her jaw. She will sit on my shoulder as I walk around the house and snooze, and when I finally have to put her back-she protests-as she prefers to stay with us. She never bites, and doesn't have an aggressive bone anywhere in her little body.

Hey now-we love our cavys just as much, so don't misunderstand us here-but a rat is a companion that instead of running from your hand will actually struggle to get into your hand.

Just had to say that.

Poohbear
02-22-05, 09:59 am
Ok, I did not say they are bad pets I just said that I would never want one in a million years. I do not like their tails. I like cavies becuase they are cute and easy to handle and they do not have a tail.

ChadWPB
03-09-05, 06:45 pm
As owners of both cavies as well as rats, we have a deep love for both of them. And we know that many people have issues with rats-but I do feel compelled to jump to their defense. Yes-they do have a jaded past-but please believe me when I tell you that rats are as devoted and loving to humans as any dog or cat.

Rats are incredibly social, intelligent, complex creatures that clearly exhibit problem-solving skills, analytical thinking, and deep love and devotion to their human companions. They will setup their living space on their own in an orderly and logical fashion. They bathe themselves regularly, and work towards keeping their living area tidy. They are anything but dirty. And these are not fanciful observations, either. It is abundantly clear how much is going on in their little heads. Our latest rat is a white-haired female named Beth. Every day we come home from work, she is at her gate, holding onto the bars, her little nose twitching while she looks at us with this sort of "come say hello to me" thing. As soon as the bars are open, she is climbing into my hand. She sits on my lap as we watch TV, and falls asleep as I massage her under her jaw. She will sit on my shoulder as I walk around the house and snooze, and when I finally have to put her back-she protests-as she prefers to stay with us. She never bites, and doesn't have an aggressive bone anywhere in her little body.

Hey now-we love our cavys just as much, so don't misunderstand us here-but a rat is a companion that instead of running from your hand will actually struggle to get into your hand.

Just had to say that.
Sounds like you have a great little rattie there. Rats are even more social than guinea pigs. Have you considered getting a female buddy for Beth?

EricNDeeDee
03-20-05, 04:02 pm
Hello Chad! VERY happy to hear from another ratter! ;-)

We actually adopted her from a local shelter-so we're not sure of her age, or if she was ever socialized with other rats. She does seem to be older, and she has the upper respitory infection that is indemic with most domestic rats. So our thought is that another rat would get sick from her-and she might not even appreciate the company to begin with. And she is so very much bonded with us, that we believe she thinks she's human anyways. We have also found that solitary rats (and cavies, for that matter) tend to bond with people much better when they are alone.

She is a TOTAL sweetheart, and we adopted her because we went in to the shelter "just to look"-and she ended up breaking our hearts!

Sounds like you have a great little rattie there. Rats are even more social than guinea pigs. Have you considered getting a female buddy for Beth?

_Cell_
03-25-05, 11:47 am
I am the owner of 2 piggies and 8 rats. I will say that i do prefer my rats to my piggies, the rays run to me, while the piggies run away. It is not impossible to keep rats with piggies, my rat breeder had a rat that lived with her pig, they got on perfectly fine, they slept together and everything. This rat was very old though. in MY experience its a big no no, i only keep girls and i hear girls will be more agressive. Now some of my rats will simply go for the piggies food and ignore the pigs themselves. But other girls will puff up and sidle *turn sideways and walk towards* the piggies, or chase them.
I find the rats much more interactive then the pigs. I also have a tailless rat. Don't get me wrong I still like my piggies, and they don't loose quality of care because i prefer the rats.

wuany
04-08-05, 09:55 pm
We have our rat's cage near our cavys just so they have neighbors during the day-and they do exhibit curiosity about each other-but they are far enough apart where they cannot reach each other. They will never be brought together.

We had 4 rats and their cage is near our guinea pigs as well. Sadly we only have one left. Don't really want to go into details because it all happened so fast and I'm still upset. My question is that can my piggy catch anything from the rats if they are in the same room?

Louis
04-11-05, 04:29 am
Bad idea thats all i have to say

charliesmommy
04-20-05, 11:57 pm
Pooh, I agree with you about the tails... they gross me out! Other than that, they sound charming, and I'm sure that they're devoted and great pets. I prefer herbivores to be quite honest though!

misspigglie
04-25-05, 12:26 pm
Hi, I just wanted to say that we have 3 male ratties and 20+ piggies, and would never consider even letting them have floor time together/ I would be too worried about any possible injuries, and can they pass infections/colds----- We give all our pets plenty of floor time and running loose time/ The ratties prefer climbing time, but the piggies of course run free like crazy:) In my opinion, I don't believe one is better than the other, they are both special breeds in their own right:) Also, there are tailless ratties, and hairless ones too/ (sorry about the punctuation, my son spilled water on my keyboard and I lost periods and question marks) ;0

Teria
05-16-05, 08:56 am
I agree, the tails are something you have to get used to. But a few days after adopting my rat (an absolutely unplanned adoption), I realized that the tail didn't bother me at all anymore. It was just a part of a pet I loved dearly.

stitsy&codyPig
08-16-05, 02:31 pm
Well my guinea pig and rat have floor time together and they play alot together. I think it depends on the animals, mine grew up together and love each other. I don't house them together ofcuorse because they have different needs. But they do hang out together.

SleepyBirdy
12-22-05, 06:01 pm
I think rats are more friendly than cavies. My cavies have always bitten me, hated to be handled, mad their little "annoyed" sound when I got near them. I don't think my cavies like me at all, evil...